Babies starting to hatch this morning on nest cam

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Matt F.

Two have hatched so far........
http://www.uhcl.edu/portal/page/portal/EIH/video

Disregard the black line at the bottom of the feed.... :roll:
It's not cropping off anything - below the line is just a mirror image of the top part.
kgwaguespack

Fantastic shot - thanks for posting
2002-2004 - Newbie; fledged a few martins
2005-2012 - dormant/moved residence
2013 - no success
2014 - second attempt; no dice
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).

Cam isn't working for me. :cry:
PMCA Member
_____
Matt F.

Chuck,
If you're using Internet Explorer, it will need to install a plugin, before the stream is viewable.
It should prompt you for the install.
Other browsers like Chrome and Firefox, do not need any plugins.
Matt F.

There's an egg being pipped right now.......
There's another egg that is capped.... :shock:
If it's not rectified within a few hours, I'll fix it.
threelilkids
Martin Colony History: 2014 1 pair 3 hatched 3 fledged
2015 1 pair 5 hatched 5 fledged
2016 1 pair 5 hatched 4 fledged
2017 2 pair 8 hatched 8 fledged
2018 4 pair 15 hatched

Matt its not working for me either, I don't see a down load for it, Please help I want to see it :lol:
threelilkids
Martin Colony History: 2014 1 pair 3 hatched 3 fledged
2015 1 pair 5 hatched 5 fledged
2016 1 pair 5 hatched 4 fledged
2017 2 pair 8 hatched 8 fledged
2018 4 pair 15 hatched

What is the name of plugin?
Matt F.

It's called Axis Camera Control.
terrapincove
Martin Colony History: Well established 90 cavity colony. Mostly plastic gourds with some custom cedar houses atop pilings out over the river. We live stream the activity on our website https://youtu.be/fvj6V0X70G8

We are on the Maurice River. The Maurice is brackish and tidal. It meets the Delaware bay about three miles down at East Point, NJ. The area is remote and consists of dense marshland and swamp. Dragonflies abound.

Swallows arrive in mid August and finish nesting mid July. There is a large annual roost in mid August upriver a few miles at Mauricetown.

Tx 4 the share
Good luck Purple Martin Landlords.

Terrapin Cove

Always Live https://youtu.be/fvj6V0X70G8
kgwaguespack

Matt - when you get a minute can you share more background info? For example, location of the cam (gourd or in house compartment), looks like you're using a small light (?), what type of camera are you using? How are you delivering that to internet in real time?

Thanks!
2002-2004 - Newbie; fledged a few martins
2005-2012 - dormant/moved residence
2013 - no success
2014 - second attempt; no dice
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Matt,
I am curious also.
Is this a Trio Musselman/Nature House M12K with enlarged compartment?
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Matt F.

Sorry for the delayed reply.
Here's the rundown, on what we're using for the Martin cam, and network streaming.
The camera is the one from the PMCA store, listed here:
http://shop.purplemartin.org/Color_Nest ... tails.aspx
This camera has been rock solid so far.
No light is being used, as the camera has excellent, infrared "night vision".
Last year's entertainment took place in a 6"X12" Trio compartment, with the camera mounted on the door, above the entrance hole, facing towards the back of the compartment.
This worked okay, but the "action shots" of the parents feeding the babies were hard to see, due to the camera looking back into the compartment, and the parents often blocking the view of the babies.
This year, it is mounted in a plastic gourd.
I'll take a photo of the rig soon, and post it. In a nutshell, I've attached a small, plastic paint cup (similar in shape and size to a large size drink cup) that is of nice, thick plastic, and has been spray painted white on the outside only, until it was nice and opaque.
This cup fit nice and snug around the gourd inspection opening, and has been fastened in place using those plastic push pins.
This put the camera lens approx. 12" from the nest cup.
I may pull it back even more next season, for a little wider field of view.
The camera cabling runs approx. 40' underground, and into the building.
From there, it runs into a small network switch closet, where the small video server is also located.
The server is a small (and OLD) Axis video converter/server.
This is needed to convert the analog camera signal, to a digital signal that can be streamed over the network.
The server plugs into a Cisco, 100Mb switch.
Our network backbone consists of these 100Mb switches.
From our location, we have a 100Mb internet connection direct to University of Houston's main campus routers, and then, out to the world.
Last edited by Matt F. on Fri May 23, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DottieL

Oooo.... How amazing. I'm was fortunate enough to see a baby crack the shell and wiggle out. Very tiring job....Number 5 I believe. Then Mama picked up one half the shell and consumed it!!!! WOW!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS WEB CAM SETUP!!!👍👍👍
Dorothy ......in the "Land of the Yellow Brick Road" click click !!
DottieL

Watching!!
DottieL

What happened to the cam?? It was working for me but now, the past couple of days it's just been black.... No picture!!
Matt F.

DottieL wrote:What happened to the cam?? It was working for me but now, the past couple of days it's just been black.... No picture!!
I'm sorry about that Dottie.
We had some major storms roll through here over the past couple of days, and I think some connection between the camera and the server may have been compromised.
I'm going to be working feverishly on it tomorrow, in hopes of getting it back up.
I'll keep you posted.
DottieL

Hope you rec'd some ample rain from the storms!! I believe y'all were a bit dry. I'll just wait patiently for the fix. Thanks .... Dottie
Connie
Martin Colony History: Had my site up to 22 gourds of which most (+/-3) stayed occupied.
Downsized to 17 gourds due to back surgeries. Had 14 families in 2017 but did not do nest checks due to health. Feeling better in 2018 and hoping for a good year.

Chuck4 wrote:Cam isn't working for me. :cry:
Chuck, I was having same problem. Went to tools and clicked on "compatibility view settings" then added the website. Cam came right up. Hope this helps.
Connie
Connie
Martin Colony History: Had my site up to 22 gourds of which most (+/-3) stayed occupied.
Downsized to 17 gourds due to back surgeries. Had 14 families in 2017 but did not do nest checks due to health. Feeling better in 2018 and hoping for a good year.

threelilkids wrote:Matt its not working for me either, I don't see a down load for it, Please help I want to see it :lol:
Threelilkids,

See my post to Chuck. Hope it helps!!
Connie
DottieL

Mine is up as well!! No problems....