Fear of crescent entrances

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Don Troha

Hi Mark. The house I've used for the past two seasons has textured internal walls and pre-punched internal entrance holes for conversion to 6 expanded compartments. Normal 6x6 individual compartment sizing. Previously I used a standard 12-compartment trio mounted on a telescoping pole. This house had smooth walls and lacked the built-in features for compartment expansion. The telescoping pole was not working out well for me so I had to make a change. I didn't like the rope/pulley setup either so I went with the winch setup and this is working well... Don
2019 - 14 pair, 61 fledged
2018 - 15 pair, 63 fledged
2017 - 11 pair, 46 fledged
2016 - 5 pair, 22 fledged
2015 - 3 pair, 13 fledged
2014 - 3 pair, 12 fledged
2013 - 3 pair, 12 fledged
2012 - 2 pair, 8 fledged
2011 - 1 pair, 2 fledged
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Don,
I see now that the back wall has the textured aluminum. That textured stamping really helps the strength of the aluminum sheet stock.
In retrospect, I can see that the "texturing" in the white side wall is actually a reflection of the back wall onto the white side wall. My mistake.
I like converting the older 12 room Trio house to a modern 6/2 (6 double compartment) house.
I use a 3" hole saw for metal to open up the dividers for the conversion.
I picked up that idea from someone on this Forum.
The bigger hole will hopefully prevent wing entrapment between the entry and nest compartments.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Matt F.

Interesting...........
Nature House has stopped using the textured (the old "official" Trio term was "embossed stucco") aluminum for the Dri-nest subfloors, and started using it for the internal, room dividers.
We need a spy at the Nature House/Erva facility to explain this phenomenon......... 8)
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Matt,
I also noticed that the Dri-nest subfloors from Nature House/Erva are smooth aluminum but I like that they are made of thicker sheet metal and have fewer drainage holes now.
My experience over the years has been that the caustic fecal matter produced by birds (especially sparrows on abandoned houses) corrodes through the thinner "embossed stucco" aluminum too fast.
I should qualify too fast as over 5 years of neglect (not by me!)
I try to take good care of my equipment and a Trio martin house which I inherited from my father is over 25 years old and still functions like new. The paint may be faded and dull but the purple martins do not seem to mind that it is not shiny new.
I can always disassemble and repaint my Trio house if I want to. I replace all hardware with stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts.
The original hardware may be cheaper and lighter but the chrome finish corrodes off too fast and makes disassembly more difficult.
I am the confessed son of Depression era parents.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
litedave

The behavior of mine are the same, Don. They just don't like the crescent doors much. They eventually get use to them and start zippin in like they did before the change. Happy nesting!
A Dead Hosp Is A Good Hosp.
baileysambone

Don
My birds struggled with the crescent entrances last year too. I have a Heritage Farm house and the porch is beaded, as well as the inside of the entrance. I had to change to crescent openings mid season last year due to a starling. I sanded the openings ever so slightly because they were not able to get in.
This year the same birds I had last year along with new ones are zipping right in with no problem
I also have a trendsetter. I read some where on the forum to use grit paint in front of the entrances to give them traction.
So I cut out a round template and painted inside the circle to give them traction in front of the entrances and they have no problems getting in.
Hope this helps.
Yvonne
2011 visitors
2012 1 pair ASY male, SY female 9 eggs, 8 hatched, fledged 5
2013 5 pairs fledged 8
2014 4 pairs fledged 15
2015 7 pairs fledged 25
2016 10 pairs fledged 31
2017 17 pairs fledged 69
2018 18 pairs fledged 69
2019 21 pairs fledged 52 (biting gnats lost babies)
baileysambone

Don,
Forgot to mention, I use nest trays inside the trendsetter and I put traction tape on the trays where the tray lines up with the opening so they have traction coming and going.
Yvonne
2011 visitors
2012 1 pair ASY male, SY female 9 eggs, 8 hatched, fledged 5
2013 5 pairs fledged 8
2014 4 pairs fledged 15
2015 7 pairs fledged 25
2016 10 pairs fledged 31
2017 17 pairs fledged 69
2018 18 pairs fledged 69
2019 21 pairs fledged 52 (biting gnats lost babies)
Don Troha

Traction tape is in place along the length of the porch and on the subfloor inside the entrance. The trio design has that spring door latch and u-shaped cutout in the subfloor at the entrances, a feature that bothers me (even if it doesn't bother the martins) as a possible hazard for a stuck claw. I don't know if this feature hinders their ability to enter or exit.

Bird's view of the crescent entrance from outside looking in...

...and from inside looking out:
Last edited by Don Troha on Tue May 13, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 - 2 pair, 8 fledged
2011 - 1 pair, 2 fledged
4th Gen Martin Fan

Don,
Excellent pictures of the outside and inside of the crescent entrance in a Trio/Nature house.
I put the traction tape on the outside like you have. Where did you find the colored traction tape.
The 3M Outdoor Tread that I use is black like your inside tape.
Before I started using the Dri-nest subfloors again, I was putting traction tape on the inside of the floor.
Now that I am again putting the subfloors in the entry compartment, I have not been putting traction tape on the subfloors. None of the martins are having any problems getting in or out at this point in the season.
I have never seen a toenail entrapment, but now I am worried and looking out for this problem.
Mark.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Don Troha

Where did you find the colored traction tape.
It's the same black 3M Outdoor Tread tape spray painted green to match the house color. :wink:
2012 - 2 pair, 8 fledged
2011 - 1 pair, 2 fledged
4th Gen Martin Fan

Don,
Bonus points.
I think that you are a Trio Jedi Knight in hiding.
Mark.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Matt F.

Very nice Don!
Great photos as well!