Kansas Updates...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Raising my racks Sunday and spotted a SY female...noticed that white underbelly/tail :)
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
DottieL

Thanks Tony, I'm on the watch!!! :) 😀
Dorothy ......in the "Land of the Yellow Brick Road" click click !!
DottieL

I am slightly encouraged. Wed morning, yesterday, I spotted a lone martin pecking, examining, flying about my main house. Did not see him today, bit I have been with my husband in the hospital and not at home.
But at least I know my place is not a pure pariah to them.. Here's hoping!!!
art

I have six ASY males and two females so far. Last year I had four nests fledge and for 2014 was hoping to have more adult pairs by now. The sex ratio 3:1 is not the best, and nor is this "fricking" drought helping, out here in the heart of the Dust Bowl.
arthur nonhof
DottieL

Several intermittent sightings of SY-M circling and landing on my Martin house. None took up residence though, which leaves me very disappointed :-( . Darn! I wonder if there is still hope for me to be successful in some calling my location, home.
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

DottieL wrote:Several intermittent sightings of SY-M circling and landing on my Martin house. None took up residence though, which leaves me very disappointed :-( . Darn! I wonder if there is still hope for me to be successful in some calling my location, home.
At least you are seeing some. I haven't seen an SY yet. hang in there.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
DottieL

I heard the familiar sound of a Martin while feeding my horse and spotted what I think is a SY-F. I wasn't certain so I walked to about 20 ft from the Martin house and stood there and stared so I could better identify. Well, that must have scared her and of she flew. That was about 2 hrs ago and I haven't seen her/him since.
At least, they must still be migrating to our area. It's been 5 years for me since my colony feel apart.
Got my fingers crossed!!
DottieL

Here I am again.... Still hoping! Today a pair of martins visited my house. By observing their examinations of the house, I thought sure they would stay.
Hopefully they will return later..
Very gusty High winds and getting quite warm. It should be in the upper 80's today and in the 90's the remainder of the week.
DottieL

This morning two interested martins investigated my Martin house for about 30 minutes or do. They keep attempting to enter the Spar-o-Door trap. They have tried to enter the SREH, but so far have not been successful. Here's hoping they return.
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

DottieL wrote:This morning two interested martins investigated my Martin house for about 30 minutes or do. They keep attempting to enter the Spar-o-Door trap. They have tried to enter the SREH, but so far have not been successful. Here's hoping they return.
Dottie one thing you can try temporarily if you are watching this closely is to put a round entrance on one of the openings. IF you are able to watch closely. But I like the sounds of the investigations.
DottieL

Thanks Dorn... I've been sorely tempted to try that.

They both flew over while I was removing some sparrows. Soo I think their interest is still there! If indeed, they are the same pair.

The starlings do spend some time investigating as well. I'd hate to get them overly interested. I'm not a good shot so that's out. Well, actually I am a fair shot, but my pellet gun is not the best. Oh, you know, I have all sorts of excuses!!😆😆
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

DottieL wrote:Thanks Dorn... I've been sorely tempted to try that.

They both flew over while I was removing some sparrows. Soo I think their interest is still there! If indeed, they are the same pair.

The starlings do spend some time investigating as well. I'd hate to get them overly interested. I'm not a good shot so that's out. Well, actually I am a fair shot, but my pellet gun is not the best. Oh, you know, I have all sorts of excuses!!😆😆
Well if you can't keep watch.. don't enlarge it. IF starlings take up residence, odds go way down.
DottieL

OK. I'll continue on this course and trust all the landlords who post not to worry, that the martins will figure it out.
DottieL

Well, I have one lone SY-M who has taken up residence for the last three days.... He seems to be staying the night, but I don't know that for sure. The Excluder II doors are not deterring him even a tiny bit. He slips in and out easily. I guess the subbies are continuing to arrive.
He is a brave one, to the point of chasing a starling off my barn and further chased him around until the starling took off.
If I can get a pair to stay, it will be about 4 years since my Martin house was occupied. I am just happy to see one who looks like he wants to stay.
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

DottieL wrote:Well, I have one lone SY-M who has taken up residence for the last three days.... He seems to be staying the night, but I don't know that for sure. The Excluder II doors are not deterring him even a tiny bit. He slips in and out easily. I guess the subbies are continuing to arrive.
He is a brave one, to the point of chasing a starling off my barn and further chased him around until the starling took off.
If I can get a pair to stay, it will be about 4 years since my Martin house was occupied. I am just happy to see one who looks like he wants to stay.
Great news... It seems a few subbies are still out there looking for homes.
DottieL

Since the rain last evening, we have mud they need for nest building. This lone male has been gathering mud and pasting it in one of the nests. No female around so he evidently has high expectations of finding a mate! I do hope one arrives for him.
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

DottieL wrote:Since the rain last evening, we have mud they need for nest building. This lone male has been gathering mud and pasting it in one of the nests. No female around so he evidently has high expectations of finding a mate! I do hope one arrives for him.
Having that male is better than anything else you could do. If other martins are out there looking for homes he will find them.
DottieL

DornCounty wrote: Having that male is better than anything else you could do. If other martins are out there looking for homes he will find them.
Oh... That is good to know! He sure is busy. He buzzed me this morning and I was at least 60 ft from his house. The sparrows are buzzed if they sit on the house. He seems to be very protective and dominate. The life skills are very apparent...
DottieL

DornCounty wrote:
Having that male is better than anything else you could do. If other martins are out there looking for homes he will find them.
Boy! Dorn, you are so right on. My SY-M has flown his tail off (not really) hunting for a female. He has had off and on visitors most every day. He gets Sooo excited! The vocalizations and flying high in the air when he spots a potential mate are joyful to watch.

About three to four days ago a female was attempting to enter the ExcluderII entrance and didn't make it. A couple of days ago she was successful so I figure she has accepted his invite!!.
She is with him still. However I don't always see both of them at the same time. Sometimes there is just one bird.
I have high hopes that this is a pairing.

I am seeing more, but so far only these two seem to have taken up residence so far.
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

DottieL wrote:
DornCounty wrote:
Boy! Dorn, you are so right on. My SY-M has flown his tail off (not really) hunting for a female. He has had off and on visitors most every day. He gets Sooo excited! The vocalizations and flying high in the air when he spots a potential mate are joyful to watch.

About three to four days ago a female was attempting to enter the ExcluderII entrance and didn't make it. A couple of days ago she was successful so I figure she has accepted his invite!!.
She is with him still. However I don't always see both of them at the same time. Sometimes there is just one bird.
I have high hopes that this is a pairing.

I am seeing more, but so far only these two seem to have taken up residence so far.
Great news... do you do nest checks? If so.. next time it looks like they are out, lower the house and see if any nest building is happening. If you have a true pair.. I like the odds of eggs soon. don't worry about not seeing them as long as you see them from time to time.. I had a house in town that I would of bet only had 2 pair max.. when I lowered it to check there were 4 nests with eggs.