Kansas Updates...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

I would like to encourage any Kansas landlords to share updates in this thread.

high, low, big or small....

I'll go first....

Home: counted 26 birds present last night... considering I can only hold 16 pair I am darn near at max capacity. And no.. I'm not adding on. haha.

Parsons Public Colony... early morning drive by count yielded 10 birds most of which were ASY males so I am encouraged. I was/am in full panic mode as martins are/were way late here in town. There were roughly 40 pair last season and we are hoping for a dramatic increase. Sparrows are now out in full force.. stealth trapping is currently underway. We won't get them all but we will keep them beat down. PS - I love spar-o-doors.
Last edited by DornCounty on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

so all the Kansas landlords are on vacation? :lol:
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Andrew:

Not on vacation, just didn't see your post till now. I currently have one lone ASY male at my new site. He had a female staying with him for four nights but a couple days ago, she did not return. Don't know what happened to her but it is really frustrating to loose half of your first pair when your trying to start a new colony.
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Hello Kansans!

Out here in Pratt County I had 8 birds yesterday and now 10 this morning. Looks like I'm even with 5 and 5.

Beautiful weather this morning!

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
jimnks

I finally got one male yesterday so I opened up one box in the 100 mile per hour wind (blew the ladder down once), he was sitting on the box this morning, so he might stay if he doesn't freeze, it is 40 degrees cooler than it was yesterday but no wind. TRES came Saturday, they are usually here 10 to 15 days before the martins but not this year, guess its too cold. BB's are making nests, but no eggs, seems like they are late also, this winter just won't quit it seems like. Wonderful news for me, 4 starlings just lit on martin house I just opened. I will be packing the 12 guage with me when I go to burn brushpiles today, WAR is on!! Jim
jimnks
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Got a rough count tonight while they were flying above my racks and estimate to be at around 60 plus...had a lot more at this time last year though..hopefully more are on their way..increased cavities from 102 to 122..and yes you need more.. :)
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

TonyG wrote:Got a rough count tonight while they were flying above my racks and estimate to be at around 60 plus...had a lot more at this time last year though..hopefully more are on their way..increased cavities from 102 to 122..and yes you need more.. :)
Yeah it seems things are still late, or there were some serious losses during migration.
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Thinking the same thing Andrew..hope not...on another note, I find it interesting there are 96 scout reports on here from Ks but only 4 of us answered your post ...hmmmmm....
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Something I've noticed from posts is several in the south say like you Tony...later arrivals or not near as many as usual this time of year. But then states like OH, PA, IL seemed to report way early.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

TonyG wrote:Thinking the same thing Andrew..hope not...on another note, I find it interesting there are 96 scout reports on here from Ks but only 4 of us answered your post ...hmmmmm....
I've noticed that too.. I wonder how many never even check the forum.
DottieL

My house is still closed up, waiting for the SY"s to come in. This is a new site for the martins, so not expecting ASY's even though some KS landlords founding birds were ASY. I didn't want to fight the HOSP Soo am waiting a bit longer to open up.
Dorothy ......in the "Land of the Yellow Brick Road" click click !!
cchild03

On the 28th of March, I saw a lone female flying over my horse pasture, but she wasn't near my housing. I went ahead and made a scout report for that day here in Leavenworth. On March 31, I had a pair staying in one of my gourds, and on April 01, they brought a third female by to look. She landed on the racks but didn't stay the night.

It'be been stormy and rainy here the last two days, and I haven't seen or heard any martins at all. I was outside for two hours his morning setting traps in my gourds for sparrows, and I didn't see or hear anything.

This time last year, I had 15-20 back. But I suffered heavy ASY losses during the May snow storm last year when I couldn't get any of my colony to take to supplemental feeding. I ended up picking up several SYs and had 26 nests successfully fledge (which was down from about 40 nests successfully fledging in 2012).

So after that ramble ... I might possibly have one pair as of today and that seems way down to me for April 03.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll keep he updates coming from here in NE Kansas. :)
Candace
art

One ASY male all week here in Finney County (Holcomb).
arthur nonhof
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Deb,
I have noticed that the eastern US is getting purple martin migration earlier than usual and everything east of Nashville, TN has been delayed.
It is almost as if the migration pattern through the Yucatan Peninsula/Florida flyway has been earlier and the Louisiana/Mississippi River and Texas Gulf coast flyway has been delayed.
These observations have been from observing migration pattern over this season. Nothing scientific, just my observation.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

Home Colony.. it appears that each cavity is claimed by an ASY male now. Not 100% sure as some of the trio's with two entrances on a porch are hard to determine. After trapping 75 starlings the previous 2 seasons. .I have not trapped one this season. My trap is still functional. I do live in a relatively rural area.

Parsons Public Colony - House sparrow battle is on in full force. I can't get them all, but just trying to keep the ratios down so new martins will want to visit and to keep them from being a general pain in the back side. I can keep them down to 1 pair per house grouping. Have probably dispatched of 25-30 HOSP so far. An interesting note is the section I have worked on the longest(3 years) has almost no sparrow pressure. I have only trapped 2 or 3 out of that portion this year. Great news that if it holds true will make the colony much easier to maintain in future years. Last martin count yielded 21 birds. Doesn't sound like many, but considering no subbies are here yet and I basically do drive by counts I am relatively pleased. last year subbies made up 80% of the population so I am hoping for the same ratio this year, which would mean some nice population growth. The most reliable counts start when nesting begins which doesn't appear to of started yet.
tonyg

Would be nice if more Ks landlords would have posted their counts on this thread, especially with 112 scout reports ....still around 60 plus here, hoping for more arrivals with this warmer weather we are to get with southerly winds..my numbers are still down from last year at this time... :-(
DebA

I'm at 12 birds this morning. Last year I had about 20 and having to feed lots of crickets. I ended up with 26 birds last year so I'm hopeful adults are still coming. Remember those reports of dead/dying birds in the Tulsa street after a big rain storm last roost time? Hope those weren't "ours".
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
cchild03

I haven't seen a martin at my housing since April 01. I was out of town over the weekend and got back late Monday evening. My brother said he saw four over here while I was gone. They may still be here, and I'm missing them when they come in at night and when they leave in the morning. If that's the case, they're acting very differently from all of the previous years I've been doing this. They've always been quite visible and active throughout the day in past years.

For reference, I think I had between 12-15 by this time last year. My mom has a colony across the street from me, and she has two males as of this morning. Her birds always show up about two weeks after mine arrive. She may have me beat this year as I'm not convinced that I have any!

It's a beautiful day with a good southern wind. Maybe more will come in with this warm weather.
Candace
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

TonyG wrote:Would be nice if more Ks landlords would have posted their counts on this thread, especially with 112 scout reports ....still around 60 plus here, hoping for more arrivals with this warmer weather we are to get with southerly winds..my numbers are still down from last year at this time... :-(
my home seems to be close to normal.. but Parsons is still behind based on date from what I was expecting. I just don't see any sort of fall or winter event that would cause Ks numbers to be down and not overall numbers across the country.
DottieL

Driving around Augusta Lake I spotted one lone male flying around the lake area where there are many Martin landlords.

None at my house though!!
Dorothy ......in the "Land of the Yellow Brick Road" click click !!