neighbor just put up small pm house

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I was driving home from grocery store and a neighbor close by just put up small housing for martins. it has 12 holes and the compartments have to be very small. Why can't we do anything about manufactures making these. Isn't this purple martin abuse.When someone abuses a dog or cat they get in trouble.
I know other birds can use these houses, but I am sure their full intention is to attract martins. :-( . The martins are larger than the compartment!
Hopefully some really smart birds will investigate and pass theirs by and come to mine. I hope everyone has a great year and all your martins have a large bed!!!
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Man I'm glad I don't have any neighbors! Having said that, why don't you go over and be neighborly? :)

You both have martins as an interest so easy lead in. Admire their house. Mention all the reading you have done here at PMCA's site and bring up they advocate housing, which they've provided, but specifically a 12x12x6 compartment size if at all possible.

The large compartments just make so much more sense to me. But not when I got my founding pair. Because I didn't know any better and they might not either. Not until I read about it here prior to my second season.

Of course the approach is key because a know-it-all can sure turn someone off. Much like I might be doing to you. Haha.

Take care -
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

This neighbor is about a half mile away. not sure what they would think if I stopped and told them what I thought of their house, I think I will just hope their visiting martins will come here. Mine Is way better than that :lol:
You know Deb with all the information on the World Wide Web now a days. If I get interested in doing anything I always look it up first it's just habit now.
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

T Lady, You're so right; that's why I picked the Trendsetter after doing all that research. There's just no reason NOT to be informed these days!
And Deb is right too... you have a perfect opportunity to make a new friend with the neighbor with the Martin house. Oh! That reminds me I should call on my neighbors who have martin housing nearby too! :oops: There are 16 gourds to the south 1/2 mile, and a 12 room Lowe's house north 1/2 mile. All have round holes... Besides I need to snoop and see who has birds already, hehe.
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.
chickadee

I have went up to plenty of neighbors. I don't start out like hay you know your house is all wrong? I just start out with hay was driving buy and seen your house and wondered if you had any martins. then it just goes from their. a lot of people buy those houses because they think they eat mosquitoes. and they do not know the first thing about martins. then the houses get filled up with sparrows.it is not always the case. so you never know unless you start a conversation.
2008 first year 1 pair. 2009 3 pair. 2010 7 pair. 2011 20 pair . 2012 44 pair 280 eggs 210 fledged. 2013 67 pair. 2014?
kehunter

As an enthusiastic, but only partially-informed first-time landlord, I also bought one of the inexpensive plastic 12-compartment houses. However, after doing a bit of research I decided to assemble it with 6 expanded compartments.

I offered up this new housing in a more open location mainly because I saw my neighbor's existing house being encroached upon by some rapidly-growing pine trees and some newly-constructed two story houses adjacent to his lot. As a result, I now have 9 of his 11 returning ASY birds...four pairs and a single male. The other pair may move over here before its all said and done.

I offered advice to my neighbor that he ought to move his house to a more open location....but I think he probably needs to see the results to be convinced. If he remains interested in martins and wants to improve his site, great.....if not, he and I can both feel good that his birds now have a safer location.

I say send your neighbor a postcard note or stop by when you see them in the yard and simply offer that you are also a martin enthusiast and you would be happy to answer any questions they might have.
2016 - 6 cavities in Royal Wing/S&K house + 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches on pole 1, 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches on pole 2
2015 - new homebuilt 3 cavity house plus 3 BO9 gourds with tunnels porches on second pole, in addition to prior setup. 15 pairs, 54 fledged
2014 - 6 6x12 house cavities (plastic Royal Wing/S&K), plus 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches offered; 12 pairs, 50 fledged
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

T lady, you are so right, I just wish that I knew an answer that would always work. I never hate to call misinformed people names, but they sure do need some help.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Oops#1
Last edited by Anthony Neira on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gwarnerjr

Sad part is that the pms will probably go to the small compartment house with the mis-informed landlord who won't even know they are there!
First pair in 2005
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

No one knows if those people will or won't take care of the housing. Even if they don't this year they might see baby martins peek out of a round hole, become overjoyed and then seek information.

There have been lots of martins fledged out of 6x6 compartments over the decades. It is fact that 6x12 is way better. It is fact that commercial housing readily and largely available to the public have not adapted to this. Some offer the conversion methods like mentioned. But for someone who simply doesn't know, having 12 nests vs. 6 sounds so much better.

As far as being in the know... I didn't have a home computer until 2009. About the same time as my martin start. Today the web is easily accessible true. However I still carry a dumb phone.

I'm just trying to say...don't pre-judge anyone. Martineering is not a keeping up with the Jones', and should you approach someone like Chickadee said don't start with, "your house is crap, mine is better".

Welcoming uninformed newbies for the better of the birds is what this forum is all about. Hopefully this person won't find this thread if and when they seek help/knowledge. Sure wouldn't inspire me to reach out.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Oops#2
Last edited by Anthony Neira on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Deb,
Don't feel bad, I still carry a flip phone. There I said it.

How could anyone resist taxidermy lady when she convinces them of the merit of good land lording?

taxidermy lady,
I say go for it.
I bet you have no idea how many on this forum are secretly cheering you on.

"Education, Diplomacy, and Patience." is my mentoring mantra.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
chickadee

what's wrong with a flip phone? :wink:
2008 first year 1 pair. 2009 3 pair. 2010 7 pair. 2011 20 pair . 2012 44 pair 280 eggs 210 fledged. 2013 67 pair. 2014?
DAVE

yea :wink: what's wrong with a flip phone :lol:

Now to the subject of commercial houses. Their are a lot of business type folks on this Forum along with Purple Martin Origination that know how to approach these company's and maybe help sponsor them. I would love to help. I'm not a business person but a Carpenter. What do you think folk, any one game?
Thanks Dave
taxidermy lady

Hi Dave,
Yeah I guess I would call myself a business? I have no one work for me I do taxidermy all by myself. Started 23 yrs. ago. I would love to get involved. But would not even know how to start. I don not have a degree. I go to wal mart for my taxidermy license. So yeah it's easy to say let's do something but, if money and time is no option. This would mean gathering all names of manufactures making these cheap martin houses. Flying to each factory and raising cane about their product. Then we would probably get arrested for trespassing and who knows what would be next. I think we would be fighting a loosing battle. These houses are every where. Most people buy them because they can not afford the right ones. have a great season.
I will say I manage my shop very well. Sucess for me is treating people right
Steve Martin

I went out for breakfast with my cousin and her fiance in Bastrop. Afterwords, we all stopped at a rummage sale. Of course I did not have my binoculars. There was a house that backed to an undeveloped lot. It's backyard privacy fence was about 150 ft from the main road. Attached to the fence was one of those cheep plastic martin houses on a pole. The first thing I though was, "oh great, I martin house full of HOSP.". Then I saw some dark bird fly out of a hole. Was it a starling? Well, it flew straight for a while then the bird did the high banking turn that is characteristic of the entire swallow family. So there you have it, you can get PMs from a cheep plastic house. And think we can all agree that some martins are better than zero martins. I could not tell if the house was modified in any way. Maybe when I'm alone I might try to get a better look at the house in a way that someone doesn't think I'm a perv.

The house was about 2500 ft from the Bastrop Walmart martin racks. There is another gourd rack near a retirement home (not sure it that one has martins) closer to the cheep plastic house.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

I know from personal experience that it is not easy helping strangers establish a good martin colony but I think that the benefits to the martins and your local martin community make the effort worth while.
As Scully has pointed out, the martins proliferate in a community as more and more responsible landlords establish colonies. San Antonio, TX used to be one of those communities in the 1960s. I do not know how well it is doing now.
I have always enjoyed Scully's reports since I have childhood memories of my maternal grandfather's colony in San Antonio in the late 1960s.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
chickadee

Steve, you are right. 7 miles from me is are state park. and since it is such a big body of water martins want to be their. their is a trailer park with a cheap house.=, and it is not modified. but you can see martins fly out of it. and their is another not managed colony with small compartments and sparrows and starlings living with the martins. I think this is all because the body of water. you could throw up anything and get them.
Steve Martin

On 3/31/14, I drove past the residence I spoke of in my previous response. It appears that they use two unmodified S&K BH12 houses. Each house has the standard 12 6X6 compartments with the standard starling resistant holes. The two houses are on separate poles near the back fence but not on it. Using Google maps I measured that the residential house was 3200FT west-northwest of the north Walmart rack.

There were a large number of PMs sitting on the porches. I was not able to get an accurate count before the birds took flight. I would guess that between the two houses there were at least 9 pairs and possibility more than 12 pairs. It appeared that out of the 24 compartments that 2 or three were claimed by HOSP. However when I was there the PMs were holding there own against the HOPS. Also it should be noted that the house was within the city limits and they were a member of a homeowner association. I'm not sure if they could use an air riffle even if they wanted to.

It seems odd which houses PMs choose to occupy. Within minutes of the residential PM house, I stopped by a retirement home that had a nice rack with 12 gourds. I could not see a single marten at the retirement home. This rack was about 1500FT northwest from the north Walmart rack. Less than half the distance from Walmart. After running some errands, I visited both north and south Bastrop Walmart racks and both were buzzing with PMs.

The Colorado River KOA campground has a nice 24 gourd rack. About 2600FT East of north walmart rack. When I went by there were no martens to be seen. I did see a number of HOSP around it and it appears that some had claimed many of the gourds. The KOA site was the last place I visited it was almost 2 hours later. it's possible that the martins were out foraging at the time when I visited.