Getting stuck on sparrow mngmnt

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
volkmerk

Has anybody tried glue traps in nesting sparrow boxes or gourds?
I need a non-shooting method to eradicate nesting sparrows in a SREH Gourd.
Advice please.
NewMartinMan
Steve Martin

See this POST
Madame WingNut

Glue traps are very dangerous if you have Purple Martins or other native cavity nesters on site. If any bird gets caught in these, they will not survive. The glue will be stuck on their feathers and impossible to get off.

Instead, please consider having an inbox trap for any compartment you put up for native cavity nesting birds. PMCA sells every kind you can think of. Buy one. Use it. Repeat traps for House Sparrows are also very effective, especially if you have a live decoy in there. I use both.

During cool spring weather, I check traps that are set at least several times a day. During hot summer weather, I will check them every hour. This is easy to do as inbox traps have brightly colored doors so you can see if they are sprung without lowering rig. No bird, native or non-native deserves to suffer so House Sparrows are humanely dispatched or given a good wing trim (to avoid any possible problems in future if they escape) and placed in my repeat trap as live decoys (or bait as it were...). Birds working as decoys are kept fed and watered and covered at night or during rainy weather. Any native birds captured are simply released.

Have a good trapping protocol if you are going to do it. Please don't use glue traps, too risky IMHO.

Paula Z
Powell (central) Ohio
chickadee

get a blue bird box and put up with a close trap fro it. maybe they will go to that box. do you have any kind of bait trap? I got a blains trap and it took 2 weeks to work. but now I am catching 2-3 sparrows a day in it.
2008 first year 1 pair. 2009 3 pair. 2010 7 pair. 2011 20 pair . 2012 44 pair 280 eggs 210 fledged. 2013 67 pair. 2014?
threelilkids
Martin Colony History: 2014 1 pair 3 hatched 3 fledged
2015 1 pair 5 hatched 5 fledged
2016 1 pair 5 hatched 4 fledged
2017 2 pair 8 hatched 8 fledged
2018 4 pair 15 hatched

We have sparrows like crazy here and the more we remove the more that come , it seems. The only thing that works here is keeping up the fight DAILY. I have a bluebird box with a trap in it, a trap in the martin house and when I get one in one of those I use him as bait (along with bread) in a repeat trap. I have been catching at least 6 sparrows daily. Its that time of the year. They are cute, don't get mad at me please. I talk to them and calm them down when caught. I feed and water them, and I kindly put them down :cry: Any way you look at it.....its a bad job but it NEEDS to be done.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

I think an in-cavity trap, like the UST, would be a better option for you, safer, for one thing. Keeping martins out by using a hole reducer is a good idea for all in-cavity traps, and absolutely essential if you are going to use glue traps.

One of the best features about the Spare-O-door trap is that the smaller entrance means no martins can get inside, but you can still catch bluebirds, tree swallows, chickadees, wrens - and this would be true with glue traps, too.

From another thread: I want to share a caution about using glue traps, rat traps, etc, in martin compartments/gourds. Use a hole reducer to make sure a martin or bluebird cannot get in with a trap of either kind. Don't assume that because you placed it behind a house sparrow nest, a martin will not enter.

Here's my experience: I placed non-lethal traps (universal sparrow trap and one-fits-all trap) inside compartments where house sparrows had built nests. I pushed the traps all the way to the back, and replaced the house sparrow nest in front, with the little entry tunnel that they like.

I caught 3 martins. So the belief that leaving a hosp nest in the compartment means martins will not enter is not always true. If I'd had a rat or glue trap in those compartments, I could have killed or severely damaged martins.

Hole reducers are easy to make from lid of cottage cheese or sour cream container. Cut a 1-1/4 inch hole that will admit HOSP but not martins or bluebirds. Fasten this to outside door with masking tape (not duct tape, which leaves too much sticky residue when removed, could get into martins' feathers). Use hole reducers and check traps frequently. I was able to release all martins quickly, unharmed - and never put a trap in without a hole reducer again.

Traps for houses and gourds: http://shop.purplemartin.org/Traps-list.aspx Some work in sreh gourds, if you are using natureline, troyer, super, or excluder gourd.
Steve Martin

Paula wrote:Glue traps are very dangerous if you have Purple
Martins or other native cavity nesters on site. If any bird gets
caught in these, they will not survive. The glue will be stuck on
their feathers and impossible to get off.
That reminds me of the time when a was doing triage on a Carolina wren. I did me examination inside my apartment. I was not good at holding birds that small and he escaped my grip and slid under the bathroom door. When I entered the bathroom, the wren tried to hide in a sticky trap that I used for cockroach control that was behind the toilet. I was able to use cooking oil to free the bird with only the loss of a few feathers.

I DO NOT think anyone should depend on cooking oil. First off the bird was only trapped for 2 or 3 minutes before I was able to free it from the trap. If left alone, the bird could have broken bones trying to free itself, or at least lost important flight feathers. In addition the bird required bathing to remove the cooking oil.

Boy, that was embarrassing explaining that one to the lady at Austin Wildlife Rescue. :oops:
chickadee

I agree never to use glue traps. I know of people that have caught bluebirds with them. it is not worth the risk. their is so many other ways that are safer for all are native birds. please try other ways first.
2008 first year 1 pair. 2009 3 pair. 2010 7 pair. 2011 20 pair . 2012 44 pair 280 eggs 210 fledged. 2013 67 pair. 2014?
volkmerk

OK, so i hear most dont like glue traps. I have S&K 9 inch gourd and i cannot find on the PMCA shop a "in gourd trap" that works for the S&K 9 inch gourd (SREH). Does anybody have any experience with what will work here?
Says it will only work on super gourds

Full Size

Martin Gourd Insert Trap
Sku Number: MGIT
There is no customer review ( Write a Review ) Price: $17.00

Member Price: $16.00

You could save
$1.00 by joining
PMCA today.

Join today or login.

Quantity

Product Details

This metal insert trap is designed for use in SuperGourds or Excluder Gourds with2 1/8" round, crescent or Excluder entrances; it will not fit in any other plastic or natural gourd. Easy snap in/out installation. No tools required. Will not damage or alter the gourd. High visibility shutter, powder-coated for durability, so you can tell from a distance if your trap is sprung. Now you can quickly catch any House Sparrows or European Starlings that venture into your Gourds. Quality construction, with stainless steel hardware. Uses non-breakable, nylon mounting clips. Comes fully assembled.
NewMartinMan
volkmerk

what is a repeater trap and where can i see one? Looked on PMCA shop and do not find.
NewMartinMan
klcretired

Hi volkmerk,
It is called a S & S Controller , It is a Great trap that works all year long every year, I use glue traps when my martins are NOT Here at my site and i'm sure that they are gone for the year.

S & S controller

http://shop.purplemartin.org/S_S_Contro ... tails.aspx

Plans to Make the S & S Controller

http://shop.purplemartin.org/S_S_Contro ... tails.aspx

As You Can See at a distance you can monitor what you catch, If you mount this trap by a Tree or out building you will never catch a Martin

Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com