Have you ever boiled or oiled sparrow eggs?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Peggy Riley

I have a sparrow problem this year, usually I don't. I think this long winter has caused them to group up and they picked my place!

They've taken over 3 bluebird boxes and one Bo nine gourd. I trap year round but this year have only trapped 1 since Dec. I put up more boxes for the bluebirds and they are nesting but I need to get rid of these pests. I've removed nests to the point that they layed eggs on the bare floors. If I close the boxes they'll just move to another box.

Does anyone know when they start to stay in the box all night? I want to try getting them both at the same time if possible. I have a mesh bag to put over the box but I want to do it at night so I have a better chance of getting the males.

As a last resort I wonder about boiling or putting oil on the eggs. Does that work? What do you do that works? My Hotel California is vacant!
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

The females will have to stay on the eggs at night, once incubation begins - so perhaps once clutch is complete (4-6 eggs) is target date for night trapping.

Oiling or boiling eggs so they won't hatch will slow them down, while they incubate those eggs, but it won't stop them - at some point they will lay a new clutch, since they can raise 4-5 clutches per season. But maybe it will give you more time to trap them. They are so persistent!
Peggy Riley

Thanks Louise! I've never seen so many here before. Starlings have also been active this year.

Years ago I witnessed the revenge thing and sure don't want that to happen now. I've always thought they were short lived birds but I read they can live to 10 years.

I'll give the night trapping a try.
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
TGivens

Can you trap starling at night
2011. 24 pairs
2012. 63 pairs
Peggy Riley

I bet you can if they are asleep. I still have one that shows up every day. It worries me since I had a breach this year on an old clinger that had been weather worn. I placed a new one right over the old one and fixed that gourd.

It'd be hard to lower a house or rack and not alarm them so that's a problem too. It'd be easier in a BB box.
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
TGivens

Thanks I was thinking I could get a 12 foot ladder an give it a try I thought I saw last night but to nite I did not see one
2011. 24 pairs
2012. 63 pairs