You Just think you have a Starling Problem

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
klcretired

You Just think you have a Starling Problem
Take a Look at this Video

http://www.youtube.com/embed/88UVJpQGi88
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
chickadee

my gosh!!!!! I hope they weren't on their way to my house! I wish that had been martins! give it up for the starlings we all know how smart they are! I just hate for them to get any camera time! it made them look beautiful and smart and confuses people I think if they should be exposed of. they are such smart survivor's. but I just can not stand their murdering side.
2008 first year 1 pair. 2009 3 pair. 2010 7 pair. 2011 20 pair . 2012 44 pair 280 eggs 210 fledged. 2013 67 pair. 2014?
klcretired

Believe me when I tell you I hate Those Trash Beaks w/ a Passion,
in 1994 I went on vacation when I returned home I had no martins, no eggs, & No Babies, I was completely Wiped out, I was hurt Badly for the loss of my colony, So I started over and went on a Raging Campaign, it took me a few years of Shooting, Trapping, etc,etc,etc but now My Perservance has Paid off and I get zero Sparrows and only an Occasional Starling , I protect my colony with my Life and it has paid off.
Now I have only Martins to look at and Listen to.
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Too bad they were brought to the Americas. I imagine the HOSP and EUST would have made their way here eventually.
I am afraid that if left unchecked these invasive species will become that prolific in the Americas.
Did Europe ever have Purple Martins or a comparable migratory martin which reared their young in nest cavities before English House Sparrows and European Starlings dominated the European continent?
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Steve Martin

At least they are in there native land at the location that was filmed. I remember seeing red-winged blackbirds flying in a swarming mass similar to those images. I was standing. And afternoon they were all in trees then I heard a massive sound and 10's of thousands they all took to the wing at the same time. I later noticed that a cooper's hawk had taken one of the red wings.
GregB->AR

My first instinct when seeing the video was to call in an air stike
Chriscreole

to let you know how smart a starling is, the neighbors house on either side of me have them hanging around, and you can how much they would love to roost on my martin housing but they will not enter my yard, they know it means certain death to them.

PMCA Member since 2010
Super System 24, All Troyer W/Conley 2 entrances.
Chriscreole

Double post, sorry
Last edited by Chriscreole on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA Member since 2010
chickadee

That is scary. Remind me not to go into your yard. But please give me your address so I can send my new to the neighbor hood starlings.
2008 first year 1 pair. 2009 3 pair. 2010 7 pair. 2011 20 pair . 2012 44 pair 280 eggs 210 fledged. 2013 67 pair. 2014?
phillip26r

That was remarkable. I can certainly appreciate them from across the pond. I'd even like to see that someday, over there of course.
Peggy Riley

Ha! Love the use of the walker Chris!!!

KC, I hear ya! I won't go on vacation while the birds are here. Went one time for a few days and came back to a sparrow nest. Can't have that!
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
GregB->AR

Chris, you and I have the same taste in starling control devices. I have a PROD showing up here in a couple hours to guard the right side of the colony. That side is currently housing a approx 25 year old RWS, but I am going to retire it with the PROD so that things remain quiet and peaceful as they can. The RWS is quite loud where the MROD and PROD are near silent. Starlings are pretty savvy. I have to put up screening for a blind on my shop windows in order to remain hidden once they have decided they are wanting to attempt a takeover of my houses.
Chriscreole

GregB->AR wrote:Chris, you and I have the same taste in starling control devices. I have a PROD showing up here in a couple hours to guard the right side of the colony. That side is currently housing a approx 25 year old RWS, but I am going to retire it with the PROD so that things remain quiet and peaceful as they can. The RWS is quite loud where the MROD and PROD are near silent. Starlings are pretty savvy. I have to put up screening for a blind on my shop windows in order to remain hidden once they have decided they are wanting to attempt a takeover of my houses.
This Benjamin Marauder is real quiet, we were shooting doves with this and I could shoot one at a time without the other doves flying away, where the fellows I was with used shotguns and one shoot, the whole tree empties out.
PMCA Member since 2010