Sparrow trap today

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
chickadee

I ordered my first sparrow trap today. Thanks for help from members on the forum. I have never used one before so wish me luck. Living out in the country I have to use what bait I have on hand. So I got black oil seed and bread. Guess I should go with bread? I am going to set it up now. And by tonight post if I catch anything.
2008 first year 1 pair. 2009 3 pair. 2010 7 pair. 2011 20 pair . 2012 44 pair 280 eggs 210 fledged. 2013 67 pair. 2014?
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

Chickadee,
I also live in the country. I have a baited repeating trap (white bread) and I don't ever catch anything. But the PM house and BB houses are a magnet for S&S. I don't want to shoot holes in my housing, so mostly I use NB traps. My PMCA nestbox trap is right off my patio and it caught the majority of my HOSP/EUST last year. The remainder I caught in the Purple Martin house with insert traps, and with gourd traps. You might consider buying a trap that will work with your house/gourds in addition to what you have already ordered. Just saying what worked for me.
I admire a spunky young lady like yourself who has the opportunity to host Purple Martins and teach your children about them. I hope 2014 is a good year for you. :)
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
chickadee

Mary, I put out the trap a while ago. I see the sparrows passing it up and going to my bird feeder. I have traps on my bluebird boxes. They are home made huber style ones. And my husband shoots them when he gets home. That's how we get the most of them. Like you I hate the holes in my boxes. They have been roosting in the bb boxes at night. So tonight I am going go pull one out of the box tonight and put it in the trap. So I hope tomorrow I will have better luck. And I wish you a good season also.
2008 first year 1 pair. 2009 3 pair. 2010 7 pair. 2011 20 pair . 2012 44 pair 280 eggs 210 fledged. 2013 67 pair. 2014?
BuddyS

Chickadee, I have been trying to get PMs for a while now. Since I haven't had any luck, I have become quite good at trapping HOSP and EUST.
Try taking a trapped HOSP from your house trap and insert it into your repeating trap as a decoy. Next, take down your feeder so they have no choices. They tend to be trapped in groups of 4 or 5.
I also use a trap that I built using the design by Brad Biddle. It works great and there are no moving parts to worry about.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Buddy
Buddy Sowell
~Ray~Gingerich

You can also put some of that junk they collect for nesting materials in there too, a few chicken feathers, string, weed stems etc. Bits of weeds sticking out under the door or a string hanging out of an entrance hole or some in the bait feeder along with whatever you use for bait.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
chickadee

I did not catch a thing today. I know it's one day. I just expected fast results, I will try with a decoy in their tomorrow.
jeffwilliams72

I have decent luck catching HOSP in a repeating trap using cracked corn and millet. My trap also seems to catch more HOSP when I place it near my chicken house, or on my rabbit hutch, places they are looking for food anyway.
My nestbox trap is definitely the most productive one i have for catching HOSP. sometimes 3 a day, if I am around to remove them and reset it. I have it mounted on the pole under my S&S controller,(which catches EUST almost every day once the nest seeking phase starts)
2008/1st pair/ 4 fledged
2009-2010 visitors only
2011/2 pr/9 eggs/8 fledged
2012/9pr/33 fledged
2013/27pr/101 fledged
chickadee

jeff, that is a good idea to put the nest box under the ss for the sparrows. I cant seem to catch any sparrows with the ss controller. only 1 in 3 years. caps lock was on. anyways husband went out when it got dark and checked all boxes and only caught 3 male sparrows. I was disappointed their was know females. 3 nights ago he was out in the dark fixing the fence and came up to the window with a female he pulled out of the house. he said is she a sparrow she is kind of cute. think he wanted to take her out for dinner. lol} I quickly reminded him she is a murderer and he broke her neck and threw her out in the field. how I wish I had her now. well 3 boys are better then none. I will take the feeder away tomorrow and place the trap out their. will be hard for me to do. I know I will catch a tuffit and whatever else song bird. I seem to only catch sparrows with lead. well my husband anyway.
William A

MamaBruff, which PMCA NB trap are you using? I am looking at the STHS one in the PMCA store. If that is what you use, maybe you could answer a question. Is there a window on the other side that allows viewing of what you have caught? Thanks in advance
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Chickadee, put your repeater trap near a bush where the HOSP like to land. Also, put it on a small table or barrel that is at least 1 to 3 feet off the ground. Put only put a small amount of the cracked corn millet in the bait tray. Lastly, as Buddy says, at this time of year, the best bait in your trap is a live HOSP decoy in the holding cage, so your idea of using a nestbox trap to get one is right on. And it doesn't matter whether it's a male or female. I have 2 males in my holding pen right now and they are calling in the other HOSP in the area.
Lastly, I try to keep 4 alive (any combination of males & females) in the trap. The more you have in there, the better it works, but I didn't want to feed more than 4.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
William A

Chickadee, may I ask what repeating trap you are using. I am trying to decide which to purchase. Thanks
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

William, I have used the STHS trap for years - there is a large hole on side with a cover - that's where you remove trapped birds. It has a small escape hole in it for wrens. I can sometimes easily ID what's trapped, because starlings will try to get out through the escape hole, and their beak sticking out is a dead giveaway.

But you can't always ID the occupant, sometimes they sit quietly in there. A skinny flashlight helps - I was able to ID our backyard woodpecker in ours the other day, and then release him via roof.

When I don't know what's in the trap, I reach inside, wearing a plastic bag 'glove' and grab the bird with it, makes it easier for me. Some starlings will stay so quiet, it's hard to know if there is a bird in there at all. This trap is wonderful for starlings, my fave! I have not caught any house sparrows in mine, I use ST-1 wire bait trap for them, with great success.
chickadee

It is the blain sparrow trap. So I don't have to keep resetting it. I got 3 males in their. I placed it under where the bird feeder was. Their is now sparrows landing all over it. But it's like they don't see the landing perch where u go in. I got it about 3 ft high on one of those kid tables. The perch end u go in is hanging in the air over the table. Their was a female under the table getting grass for a nest. Talk about driving me crazy. Inside it I put feathers and bread. On the outside landing porch I put corn. Should I have anything their? I just want them to find the entrance,
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

sparrows don't prefer Black oil.. they like millet or corn... also as a rural landlord myself, I have found the best way to trap them is via a nest box trap. honestly I look at them claiming a cavity as a good thing.. it makes them real easy to trap.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
chickadee

I have nest box traps. Problem is I have more sparrows then boxes. So as I am catching one here one their. I have the tree swallows and bluebirds arrive. As that happens here's sparrows wanting the same box now. One box can sit empty till a native bird lands on it. Then I have catch or shoot him before the pretty bird decides to go else where. So with the baited trap I hoped to catch a lot at a time and weed them out of my yard before the good birds return. I thought people said this trap worked? It's upsetting if I spent seventy bucks on something that ain't going to catch nothing unless I place the birds in it myself. I guess patience is key. I just lack that in this hobby.
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

It will work... it's just not a magic pill... HOSP are smart.. they will have to get used to the "new" item in their zone. Even if you only catch a couple dozen a year with it, it's well worth the investment. And as people said, baiting it with a live sparrow always helps. Keep in mind you will always have a HOSP periodically causing problems.. the best thing is to knock their numbers down far enough they do not overwhelm you. Sounds like you are on the right path. Keep your chin up.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.

William A,

My NB trap is the one Louise has described.
http://shop.purplemartin.org/Starling_H ... tails.aspx

It is my best trap, and caught the majority of (94 total) S&S in 2013.

I have it in a spot where I can watch it easily, just off the patio, mounted to a privacy fencepost. (Always always check your trap frequently) The entrance hole is large enough to admit starlings and anything smaller. I don't have house wrens around here, but saw a Carolina Chickadee pop right out of the access door "porthole" on the side. Louise is right, if you are watching your trap, you can see a beak or head poke out of the little hole, and ID the visitor. And like Louise noted, Starlings will often lie still and sulk when you approach the trap. Same for BBs. In fact every time I get a BB, it behaves this way.

I am not very talented at the reaching in part. I lose the bird when I reach in, particularly if its a HOSP... Grrr... So I have devised a simple solution:

Take an empty plastic 3 pound coffee can, and remove the lid and the bottom. Then attach a 1 gallon zip bag on one end, and secure with packing tape. (or your preference). Take the coffee can/bag, and a chopstick or large plastic ziptie, and a skinny flashlight with you to the trap. Hold the coffee can over the escape door (the molded in handle is great for this) and slowly slide the door open. Generally a bird will fly to the light- right into your bag. If not, you may have to give it a little motivation with the "prod" you have brought along. My fave is the zip tie because it is long and flexible... stick it in the gap next to the orange trap door on the entrance and wiggle/flap it around. If no bird comes out, then you use the flashlight to check. I have had an occasional starling not fly when prodded, and the BB is even more stubborn. That's when I reach in or prod thru the access hole. Always always release the native "good" birds quickly. Sometimes I find the trap empty. I had a smart starling last year who would reach his beak in and trip the darn thing, so I got a sharpie marker and made all the visible metal parts black.

Once you have the desired S&S bird in your bag, you should quickly and humanely dispose of it in your method of choice. (That's whole "nuther" topic)

Sorry this was so long.
Last edited by MamaBruff on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Mary B~

MamaBruff

Well crud, all that blabber and my photos didn't paste.

~Mary B~

Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

Chickadee, I hear your frustration. When I bought my Blaine's, I felt the same way. Didn't catch a thing for about 10 day, and then bang, I couldn't keep them out. I think all you need is a little tweeking, move that trap back from the edge of the table so that there is about 3 inches of table showing. That gives the sparrows a place to land, put a few bread crumbs on that ledge. Their natural curiosity will have them flying up to the landing perch and into the trap entrance. You can put a few crumbs on the elevator, but don't put out a lot of food. Another trick I used is to glue a few feathers onto the elevator, that way the wind does not blow them out.

Hope this helps, Allan.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
chickadee

Mary, my husband made traps on my bb boxes. He used some sort of metal for the shutter and clothes wire. They go in trigger it and it closes on them. I just use a Kroger sack when I open it and the fly into it. Works really well. I just have so many boxes to check. I took away my bird feeder witch is black oil seed.and all the sparrows left and all birds. So I put it back and the birds came back. So I put the trap under the feeder. I got bread and popcorn and feathers in the bait dish. Few pieces on the porch. So I will see what happens. But I won't give up. May move it back in the pine trees where they all hang out.