"Inverse" Scout Report?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
kehunter

As I sit here awaiting potential first-time occupancy of the house and gourds I put up last year, I'm intrigued by the scout reports......but am wondering about the "inverse".

I wonder how many active landlords consider their scouts significantly "late" this year? Almost a "scouts missing" report as opposed to "scout arrival".

Kevin
2016 - 6 cavities in Royal Wing/S&K house + 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches on pole 1, 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches on pole 2
2015 - new homebuilt 3 cavity house plus 3 BO9 gourds with tunnels porches on second pole, in addition to prior setup. 15 pairs, 54 fledged
2014 - 6 6x12 house cavities (plastic Royal Wing/S&K), plus 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches offered; 12 pairs, 50 fledged
dhjohnson
Martin Colony History: 5th year hostess. Currently 58 confirmed breeding pair. 218 Fledged, 35 older nestlings, 2 new nests with 8 nestlings. 100% occupancy

Interesting perspective Kevin,
I had two adult ASY pair and a single female show up on March 2nd. They stayed a few days and didn't come in tonight. I must assume they were migrating and have moved on. So yes to your question. My birds are 3 weeks late from last year but only 9 days overdue from year 1. I can appreciate your speculation! My first year I ran out to the front porch everytime I heard a martin or saw one. I kept watching and repeating like a mantra..."Please stay...please stay!" It doesn't detract from the anticipation nor the victory yell when you do see them come in to roost that first night! Don't lose hope. In fact watch the birds that do check out your housing. See if they return for multiple visits. You will recognize them! If they do...get that victory yell in the que. That means your place is in their short list and they like it. Best of luck to you this year. It has been and continues to be a hard arrival for our purple friends!
Debbie
Debbie Johnson
Clayton/NC (Archer Lodge)
2012 New Site 6 pair, 21 Fledged
2013 24 pair, 102 eggs, 94 hatched, 89 Fledged. What a great year!
2014 37 pair, 211 eggs, 193 Hatched, 178 Fledged, 1 nest of 5 young left! Late start but picked up speed quickly!
kehunter

Thanks for the input. With the weather conditions being tough this season, birds crossing over Gulf Coast sites may be looking for "any good port in a storm".

The more I read about SY martin site fidelity (or lack thereof), I'm less focused now on just picking up overflow from the neighbor's house, and more optimistic that various migrating SY birds from points north will spot my place and give it a try.

Kevin
Attachments
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg (37.55 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
2016 - 6 cavities in Royal Wing/S&K house + 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches on pole 1, 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches on pole 2
2015 - new homebuilt 3 cavity house plus 3 BO9 gourds with tunnels porches on second pole, in addition to prior setup. 15 pairs, 54 fledged
2014 - 6 6x12 house cavities (plastic Royal Wing/S&K), plus 6 BO9 gourds with tunnels/porches offered; 12 pairs, 50 fledged
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Kevin,
From your pictures earlier up close, your site looked good.
Your latest picture from afar, that site looks like a purple martin magnet.
It shouts, Come Look At Me!
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
jeffwilliams72

Kevin,
From the looks of your site selection, you will be a landlord this season!
GOOD LUCK!!!
2008/1st pair/ 4 fledged
2009-2010 visitors only
2011/2 pr/9 eggs/8 fledged
2012/9pr/33 fledged
2013/27pr/101 fledged
bk

our early birds were almost three weeks later than last year. makes me wonder if they are on some kind of a lunar calendar. Easter is late too this year. We had 5 go into cavities before the last three day blow, and 8 came out. No telling when those 3 extra showed up. There were 7 still hanging around yesterday. They were in a much happier mood as we hit 50. They were out feeding all day. I tried again with scrambled eggs and some crickets during the worst of it, but again, no takers.

Bill