Altering a PM house

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ryanmail

I have a 12 6"x6" PM plastic house. I know now, not the best but work with what you have. I am thinking to change it to 6- 6"x12" rooms. I am also changing the 2 1/8" oval openings to the suggested 3" wide by 1 3/16" half-circle flush with the porch floor. Does this sound like the best thing I can do with this house? Unfortunately the budget is limited as I still must get nesting materials, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Picture attached
Attachments
House pic  640x480.jpg
House pic 640x480.jpg (77.35 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Tim & Debbie Ryan
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I did this to my 12 compartment houses. But now only 4 per house. I closed two compartments on each level and left one open. So the one open is like the foyer and a 2 in. Hole goes into nesting area. It is hard to cut a nice round hole inside,but I used a sharp paring knife. Then took rubber tubing and put a long slit in it and covered where I cut . it is a nice smooth hole for them no sharp edges. So nesting is on other side of house. Hope you understood that.
Steve Martin

If your house is like my Heath house, you might get youngsters who live on the top floor hopping over to the next compartment. I was told this in the forums. click HERE to see the post. Scroll down to read up on solutions.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I did a little per fabricating and caulked the cracks so they can not do that hopefully. I will keep an eye on that though thanks
Ryanmail

Thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions. I had no clue about the top floor and the crawl over problem. I have a couple of sheets of Plexiglas to do the conversions though and none seem too tough. I'll measure out a roof for the top level and cut out a sheet of plexi with many holes in it for that issue. The hardest part will be porch dividers. I think making then about 3/4 of the height of the swing up fronts, cutting a slot in the front then gluing them to the original dividers may work. Putting some plastic tubing along the cuts is a nice tough for where I open dividers for the bigger quarters. I did see somewhere about the perch rail being too low and nestlings being able to push their siblings over it. I have some carbon fiber tubes laying around from my RC hobby that I can raise the floor perch about 1" should work good.

I will get to work on it and post some pics as I do it for a demo for future converters. :grin:

I know it seems like a lot of work for this house but I have the time and tools to make it work.

Any more suggestions are always welcome and again, thanks to everyone for helping these newbies to the community.
Tim & Debbie Ryan
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Tim/Debbie -
Welcome! I think you have a wonderful starter house. I started with the same although mine came with the crescent entrances. I too changed to a six compartment. If you have success with nesters you will see and wonder how they can ever be comfortable in the 6x6. Especially in hot summers. Good luck to you guys! I will look forward to your updates.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
John Miller

I don't know if this relates, but last winter I converted two Trio houses from 12 to 6 deep units and found the interior walls did not have enough support as previous ones (older units are held by screws but later models have little tabs which seem less secure) for me to hold a rotary saw and cut a entry wall in interior walls, plus needed to go through some side walls. So with the house partially disassembled, I cut entries in the walls from the top with tin snips, and bent a tap at the bottom about 1.5 inches off the floor. Not sure if any of this applies as each house is different.

A photo is worth a thousand words, so here goes.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o50 ... 4c955d.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o50 ... 7cb791.jpg

John Miller
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Another tip - set the house in front of a light - can you see light shining through the walls? Use sunlight to test, or a trouble light, flashlight, etc. If the walls are translucent enough to let light shine through them, block the inside walls to make them opaque. John Miller glues thin sheets of cork onto walls for insulation, those would block light, too.

Otherwise, the house will get a lot hotter in summer months, can make nestlings uncomfortable and in a heat wave, could be deadly.

I don't know that your house is translucent, but it's a good thing to check when using plastic houses and gourds.