Well I pulled the trigger today

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bulldog1

I had hernia surgery last week, so when my neighbor came by today I had him lower my setup and assist me in opening all my gourds. My two pair so far have rewarded me with lots of aerial displays and that wonderful sound. I noticed when they came in tonight they spent a lot of time cleaning their beaks so evidently they got plenty to eat. Tomorrow the high will be 72, so they should be able to eat well again before rain and freezing weather on Monday.

I have caught over a dozen birds in my Uncle Blaines trap and surprisingly no HOSPs.
PMCA member
2015 - 18 Gourds offered - 12 active nests, 62 eggs, 51 fledged
2014 - 18 gourds offered - 12 active nests, 52 eggs, 48 fledged
2013 - 12 gourds offered - 9 pairs, 56 eggs, 52 hatched, 49 fledged
2012 - 12 gourds offered -4 pairs, 20 eggs, 19 fledged
2011 - 6 gourds offered -1 pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged !!!!
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Bulldog,
Tell your physician that you have been a good patient and followed your post hernia surgery instructions.
Long term your martins will do better because you have done your part to fully recover from your surgery.
Mark.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Chuck4
Martin Colony History: I started trying to attract Purple Martins in 2011. I got my first breeding pair in 2013.

2013-1 pair, 2014-4 pair, 2015-8 pair, 2016-12 pair 60 babies :-).

wrong thread
Last edited by Chuck4 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA Member
_____
RC Moser

I pulled the trigger today also. Got my Hamerilli 850 out of the plastic bag (absolutely dust free from being in storage for 4 months), screwed on bottle of gas, loaded my 8 shot clip, and put one down range at my target at 65 feet. bulls eye! Moved target to 30 degrees up, put another pellet down range, hit 1/2 above bulls eye (exactly where I should of hit) Made an adjustment down 1/4 in. (I shoot most of my shots at this angle to my houses.)

Popped three house sparrows at 85 feet, 6 starlings some at top of trees at 110 feet. Missed once (didn't jerk due to good adjustable trigger, may have been bent pellet flying off or the 15 MPH wind gust), They didn't know what hit them.

I wish I had this guys set up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuRneUQ3B2U or this this one ( see the shots he makes in the wind) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yicj9Wlf1c

This is how he does it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0bYQDndnA This young man is amazing how he figures it out with his phone using an APPS.
Bulldog1

RC - remind me not to ever cross you. Sounds like you are an excellent shot. Sparrows are not an easy target.
PMCA member
RC Moser

Bulldog1, Hope you are recovering from the hernia surgery. I had two of them in less than year and 1/2. It's not me I am old, blind, and shaky, couldn't hit 5 gallon bucket without scope and something to rest the rifle on. It's just good tool and easy to use.
Bulldog1

Thanks for the well wishes. I am just getting all my tuneups done and over with. We had a summer day today with a high of 76 today, should be near freezing by 7 in the morning. It will be interesting to see if both pairs get into the same gourd to stay warm.
PMCA member
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

RC,
You may describe say that you are old, blind, and shaky, but I am very impressed with your long distance shots with an air rifle.
Anyone who has tried to shoot that far with an air rifle can appreciate your marksmanship.
I would assume that you are using .177 pellets at that range. Does the CO2 setup in the Hammerli 850 Air Magnum require the artillery hold which a break barrel necessitates?
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
RC Moser

No, Very easy air gun to shot. Be my 4th year, uses 88 gram Co2 bottles, Comes with good scope, and has adjustable trigger. Mine is .177, RWS superdome pellets works best for me, can get suppressor with it. Comes in .177 and .22 cal. I recommend the suppressor (which is silencer with big hole in it, which can be easily muffled) Usually two bottles 88 gram CO2 last the whole season and them some. I keep track of my shots and replace bottle at 200 or I got the start adjusting the scope up to compensate for the low air pressure for the remaining 40 or so shots.

The scope is repeatable and consistent. which means I can click it up 3 or more clicks for long shots and click it back down where I have it sited in. I usually know the distance of trees. Again I'm not that good just know how to shot. The guys in the utube video's especially the kid are markmans. I would love to have the kids PCP he shoots in South Africa. Amazing how he can calculate the wind and drop off his cell phone
4th Gen Martin Fan

RC,
I watched the South African marksman's video.
I never realized that a nerd is actually an intellectual bada__.
I agree he is amazing.
It is not just the Air Arms S510 TC PreCharged Pneumatic .177 rifle which makes him spectacular.
I agree that a supersonic velocity makes the pellets unstable.
Mark.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
Steve Martin

Humm, many it would be handy if I had something to shoot the S&S with. The other morning, a starling thought that my martin house would make a great platform to display on. He was up high, doing his song and dance to impress the females. I was annoyed, but there was not much I could do, so out of frustration, I just started throwing rocks at the bird. I was really just planning to scare it. I know that starlings do leave after one or two are killed. I was hoping that this one might take a hint and leave before I had to use deadly force.

I knew that with my terrible throwing skills the chances of me hitting him was 1 in 10,000 and, if I did hit him, I would finish him off the same way I did the HOSP that got into my trailer. Well, my first throw missed the whole house by about 3 ft on the starlings side. He just watched the missile fly by, he did not stop his song and dance. His continued singing made me more annoyed. On the next throw I missed the house by 2 feet on the other side, still the starling kept on singing. In the third try I just hit the back corner of the house and was able to scare the damn thing away.

I feel odd asking the land owner if he has a air rifle. Everyone in this area is sort of a gun nut, and I would not be surprised if the smallest thing he has was a (real) 22 rifle or hand gun. That would be a an insanely dangerous thing to do, because there are many houses and roads all around within 1 mile. According to a story he told me he did use his gun to stop a bunch of roving chickens from tearing up his garden. So, assume that killing things is not an issue. I'm just thinking, if I ask him about the air rifle, he will say something like, "So, you wanted a bird house, now you want to shoot them?"