Nest competition with natives which species?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Steve Martin

Which species of native birds compete with martins for nest within 60 miles of Austin/Bastrop Texas? According to the forums tree swallows and "crested flycatchers" will nest in a martin house. The breading range of tree swallows is nowhere near Bastrop/Austin. I do remember back around '91 in Dallas Texas, I got a few positive IDs on Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus). But I don't remember seeing any around Austin. The Western Kingbird is common around here, I admit in the last 10 years I haven't been birding the way I use to, I'm not sure that some of those kingbirds were not GCFC. I have seen Western and Eastern Kingbirds in Bastrop County, but from what I've read they only nest on open places.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Bluebirds, carolina chickadees, tufted titmice, wrens (carolina or bewick's) and ash-throated and brown-crested flycatchers - all native cavity nesters that might take a shine to martin housing, but are more likely to try a bluebird style box.

We are further south and don't have all of those, but our bluebird boxes usually attract b-c flycatchers and titmice. Hoping for bluebirds, which are scarce around here. None of them have tried to nest in pm housing, but golden-fronted woodpeckers have drilled out almost every gourd at one location, and nested in a few, alongside the martins.
Matt F.

Possibly House Finches.
They seem to be becoming more and more common.