Bo Nine

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dallas

I have purchased some Bo Nine gourds with the clinger entrance and
that hole looks mighty small to me. These are from S & K . Has
anyone used these entrances. It looks like the martins would have
a hard time entering them. I have cresents and the martins struggle
but they do use them. Thanks for any advice.

Dallas
Peggy Riley

Dallas don't worry! I have more than 70 clingers in use and the birds have no trouble. You can order the clinger tunnel if you think you need to add more space to the Bo 9.

Peggy
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

The martins may struggle if you do not use a porch, but they have no problem if a porch or tunnel with a porch is attached.

The martins at my place prefer tunnels, and I would recommend tunnels, they help a lot for owl protection. The gourd is only 9in, and an owl can reach nearly that far and grab the martins, the tunnels make it nearly 12 inches distance to the back of the gourd, which is much safer from owls.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Dallas

Thanks Peggy and Emil
Emil I have cages around my small set up so an owl can't get to the
gourd. The tunnel would give them more room like Peggy said.

Thanks
Dallas
AidanRois
Martin Colony History: Since 2012

I use BO9s in our system right now.

Yes. Get the tunnels/porches. We did, and have never looked back. The familes love them, and they're so helpful for protection and extra room once babies start stretching. We use the Ultimate Tunnel on ours, with the SREH.
Tiffeny N. - Horn Lake, MS - PMCA member
----------------------------------
Since 2012
Dallas

Thanks for all the information. I have been convinced. I think I'll give
these Bo Nines a try with the accessories.

Thanks to all of You!!!

Dallas
AidanRois
Martin Colony History: Since 2012

Since you're convinced... lemme drop somethin else on ya.

Georgia gets as hot as Mississippi in summer... I'd suggest picking up the cooling caps as well.
Tiffeny N. - Horn Lake, MS - PMCA member
----------------------------------
Since 2012
Bill Hyde

Until 2013 we had no luck with clinger entrances; but our martins actually preferred them last summer! We are adding a dozen more S & K Bo-9's and Bo-11's, all with Ultimate Clinger Tunnels and cooling caps. We had very good luck with these in 2013 and hope that continues! One extra thing we did is install a porch inside each gourd with push pins in such a way as to create a baffle between the entrance and the nest chamber. It seems to work great in blocking the sight line between the nest and the entrance, sort of like a mud dam. On the other hand, we no longer will be using the black inner gourds that come with the Bo-11p's because cleanup at season's end with the inner-outer gourd combinations is a big mess! Instead we plan to spray paint the insides of the nest chambers and the baffles a dark color.
PMCA member
2011 - 1 SY pair w/ 2 HY fledged
2012 - 5 breeding pairs
2013 - 14 nesting pairs and several singles
2014 - 8 nesting pairs
2015 - 5 nesting prs w/mostly ASY parents
Dallas

Well I have got my tunnels ordered for my Bo Nines. I am still thinking
about the vents. Hope everyone has a great martin season. It's cold
in South Ga. today so I am glad my martins haven't come in yet.
Last year one came in on the 15th of Jan. so I guess they are playing
it smart this year.

Dallas
Siberman

I have 6 Bo-9s and used the flat clinger plates last year with no takers ( although I did have a starling holding on to the entrance and pulling out pine needles) .

I'm trying both the tunnels and the owl guard porches this year . We'll see .

Added the cooling caps as well but I'm not sure if that was a wise decision . We had frosts as late as May last year so I'm kinda worried about the heat escaping during the middle of nesting season . PVC elbows would be easier to seal off during a cold spell .
2010: 5 pair - raptor attack .
2011 : nada .
2012 : 1 pair - 5 eggs / 5 fledged .
2013: zero
2014: Lots of visitors
2015 : several visitors . Seriously considering purchasing a drone to scare off raptors .
Bill Hyde

Hey, Siberman . . .
If you believe a cooling cap is letting too much heat out, you can easily place some duct tape over the hole; then, when the weather improves, it is just as easy to take off the tape. On a side note, if you have Bo-11p's with cooling caps, you already have the plastic or rubber plugs for the inner gourds. But personally I don't like the Bo-11p gourds because they often are too hard to clean at season's end if you had many nestlings. If you have this type of gourd, you know what I mean, right? For 2014 I am replacing the Bo11p's with Bo-11's and spraying a dark color of Fusion paint on the insides of the nesting chambers. To each his own on this matter, eh?
PMCA member
2012 - 5 breeding pairs
2014 - 8 nesting pairs
dhjohnson
Martin Colony History: 5th year hostess. Currently 58 confirmed breeding pair. 218 Fledged, 35 older nestlings, 2 new nests with 8 nestlings. 100% occupancy

Bill Hyde,
To properly clean a BO 11 plus, if you have a small compressed air supply...remove the cooling cap. Remove any old nesting material. Holding the BO11 plus top of gourd away from your face...insert a trigger nozzle hooked to your compressed air supply down the neck between the inner and outer gourds, and pull the trigger. The blast will completely clear any nesting material, nestling droppings wood chips, etc from the space between the outer gourd and the black inner gourd. You can then submerge and clean out the black, inner gourd, and hang up to dry.

If you also use sevin, you can shake some from the neck of the gourd between the outer and inner gourd to treat the air space between the two. I have never had mites in a BO11 plus and am able to completely clear anything that drops between the inner and outer gourds. A great product when used with the cresent ultimate tunnels. I have 6 and all were used in 2013.

Good luck for the upcoming Martin Season,
Debbie
Debbie Johnson
Clayton/NC (Archer Lodge)
2012 New Site 6 pair, 21 Fledged
2013 24 pair, 102 eggs, 94 hatched, 89 Fledged. What a great year!
2014 37 pair, 211 eggs, 193 Hatched, 178 Fledged, 1 nest of 5 young left! Late start but picked up speed quickly!
Connie
Martin Colony History: Had my site up to 22 gourds of which most (+/-3) stayed occupied.
Downsized to 17 gourds due to back surgeries. Had 14 families in 2017 but did not do nest checks due to health. Feeling better in 2018 and hoping for a good year.

[quote=Debbie]
"To properly clean a BO 11 plus, if you have a small compressed air supply...remove the cooling cap. Remove any old nesting material. Holding the BO11 plus top of gourd away from your face...insert a trigger nozzle hooked to your compressed air supply down the neck between the inner and outer gourds, and pull the trigger. The blast will completely clear any nesting material, nestling droppings wood chips, etc from the space between the outer gourd and the black inner gourd. You can then submerge and clean out the black, inner gourd, and hang up to dry."

Debbie,
That is a great idea! Thanks so much for posting your suggestion.
I had 2 gourd racks with 6 gourds each and last year purchased a beautiful round rack and added 12 gourds to it, all BO11P's. I was seriously considering purchasing another round rack and adding at least 12 more gourds for this year. But, because I am disabled and it was so hard to clean and store my gourds last year with 12 extra ones, I had pretty much decided I was going to have to be satisfied with the 24 I had. :-( I think using the air hose will probably cut my time in half so I can purchase the new rack after all!!!
Debbie = 8) Thanks again and Happy Martin Season!

Connie
dhjohnson
Martin Colony History: 5th year hostess. Currently 58 confirmed breeding pair. 218 Fledged, 35 older nestlings, 2 new nests with 8 nestlings. 100% occupancy

Connie,
You are most welcome. The first year I tried to clean them I was just about to take them apart and I peeked into the neck of the gourd and saw the space between the two. Using an air hose I was able to blast everything out. Please hold the neck away from your face because the air blast will force evrrything out the othrr side of the neck. Quick and easy to do. Very effective and it will get everything. You can also use the same technique to force residual water out from the inner space after you wash them! I love the BO11 plus gourds, the don't get as hot as the BO 9's.
Best of Luck in 2014,
Debbie
Debbie Johnson
2014 37 pair, 211 eggs, 193 Hatched, 178 Fledged, 1 nest of 5 young left! Late start but picked up speed quickly!
Bill Hyde

Debbie,
Each landlord/landlady must make up his/her own mind on the subject of cleaning out a Bo-11p; in my case, I have tried to dislodge the mess (poop) left by the nestlings -- including washing with a high pressure water stream. No matter how hard I try to hold the gourd away from my face, I nevertheless get splattered by whatever comes out of the gourd. A friend of mine died from a disease caused from cleaning bird nests. I have made up my mind not to put myself in a similar situation if I can help it.
PMCA member
2012 - 5 breeding pairs
2014 - 8 nesting pairs
dhjohnson

Bill,
Your cautions are dually noted. Hence the warning to point the neck of the gourd away from your face. I haven't had to use a lot of force to clean out the empty wall space. Perhaps a face shield is also called for. You are correct in that we all choose how best to tackle our individual situations. Doing that in a safe manner is always a priority!
Best of Luck in the 2014 martin season!
Debbie
Debbie Johnson