Feedback on Heritage Farms Quad Pods

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

I am thinking about purchasing the Quad Pod System and was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back on it. Do the Martins like the pods? Are they strong enough to withstand high winds? Does the plastic hold up? Right now I have a Grandmaw House and a Grandpaw house. I am going to have to expand because my houses have been full for the past 2 years.

Thanks for any feed back on this system. Dora

Dora, having your houses full for the past 2 years is a good problem to have. As far as the Quad Pod System, I have not used it personally, so I don't know what to tell you.

I think one of the best houses made is the all aluminum Lonestar Alamo house with crescent entrances. It is sold in the PMCA Shop on this website.

Thanks Samuel for your thoughts on the Quad Pod system. I know the Lonestar is an excelent system. I was wanting something that I could attach to an existing round pole that is already in the ground in concrete. I think the Lonestar pole is square. I still may consider it. Dora
John Miller

Dora

Is your existing pole a telescoping kind? Not sure how the Quad system would fit on it. These Coates Water's Edge houses with side-by-side compartments and cresent openings are well designed for a modest budget and would fit a telescoping pole. At the higher end, I think the Trendsetter is the most beautiful house aesthetically and functionally that I've seen -- in photos -- haven't been able to inspect one up close. You could put some simple hangers on your pole and add gourds to it. So many options -- ha -- and decision making to us occupied as the off season approaches.

John Miller

I think I looked at a Heritage Quad Pod at a local store. If it was the Quad Pod, it looked like it was laid out well. Isn't it the one that has 6"x12" compartments and has a baffle behind the entry so predators can't reach in? I think it also came with SREH (or at least an option for SREH). If that is the one, it should be a good layout for the martins. Have no idea how well it holds up etc. Is it easy to do nest checks?

John

What I have is a small 1 1/2 inch pipe that is sticking out of the ground. It is in cement. I was going to slip the other poll over it and secure it.
The reason I was considering the Quad Pod system was that I could add more and more housing with out adding more poles. I am a little worried about the home owner's association getting after me if I keep adding more and more poles. There is nothing in the restrictings keeping me from doing what I am doing but you never know what will happen if you tick some one off.

I tried guards and could not keep the Starling out of them even though they had cresent openings. I have a trap that I can use in my other houses to get rid of the Starlings.

Dora

Yes that is the one I am talking about. You lift the roof off in order to check the nest. It is shown in the Purple Martin Conservation Associations's cataloge on page 35. The thing that is holding me back from ordering it is wheather it will hold up in our hot Texas weather.

Dora
DAKdude

I haven't used the Quad Pod but besides the price ($169 for a 4 unit pod without pole. An addition $169 for the pole and you still only have 4 compartments) the thing that put me off of them is that the roof and walls are made of 24 gauge zinc coated steel. In the hot Texas sun where you live I would think that it would get very hot inside no matter how much ventilation there is. The reason that many martin houses are made of aluminum is because it is less dense and so does not hold the heat like steel. The hot steel would hold the heat late into the day. It would also be colder in cold weather because steel takes a lot longer to warm up.

It is an attractive unit, but here in Florida I can't imagine that the birds could stand the heat inside. I suggest getting a deluxe gourd rack with troyer gourds. They are easy to install and maintain, the birds love them, they would be cooler and also less expensive.

This is just my opinion. I would really like to hear from someone who has used them and see if they had this problem.

James
James Mejeur

DAKdude wrote:The reason that many martin houses are made of aluminum is because it is less dense and so does not hold the heat like steel. The hot steel would hold the heat late into the day. It would also be colder in cold weather because steel takes a lot longer to warm up.
James
If it is bad in the winter because it heats up slower......then it must cool down slower which would be a plus in the winter. If it takes longer to cool down in the summer.....then it also takes longer to heat up. Pros and cons both ways. I think both thin steel and aluminum would both get very hot in the summer and be very cold in the late winter. Not sure there would be more than a couple of degrees difference between the two. The benefit of both materials would be they last a long time.......temperature extremes would be a downside to both materials.
Kenneth Hicks

Dora Place - I have been meaning to respond to your question regarding the Quad Pod. I have just finished my second year with the Quad Pod setup and it has worked very good. I have only had one nesting pair each year, but both times they were successful in hatching and raising their young. Hopefully, next year there will be more birds nesting in the pods and I can get a better idea of how it functions with numerous birds using it.

I have read some concerns that others have about how hot it may get inside one of them. I checked on the young ones every five days until they were 22-23 days old and I did not notice them becoming overheated, and we just concluded an extremely hot and dry June.

It has many features that I like; such as the removable roof for nest checks and the internal predator guard. I use the SREH openings because of starlings taking to them when using the normal size entrances.

The pole is in three sections and seems to hold up well to high winds.

I know I did not answer all your questions but maybe this helped somewhat.

Kenneth

Thanks everyone for you thoughts on the Pod System. I was very glad to hear from you Kenneth since you have the housing and live in Texas. I sure would like to hear from other people that have purchased the System. I would like to know if you are pleased or if you have had any trouble with it.

Dora

Dora, i too am looking at the quad pod system w/the 8x8 compartments. and am also looking to hear from someone that uses it. my other consideration is Coates Waters Edge. i have only seen good comments about those. in the "best nest" catalog they rate the quad pod as the best system, but unsure if that is a true unbiased recommendfation.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Dora,

We helped a newish landlord this season with her Quad Pod system - we suggested she hang 4 natural gourds below it, and 3 of the 4 gourds attracted nesting martins, plus two of the 8 Pod units had nests - all were successful. The Quad Pods are well made & good quality. The pole is nice & sturdy. I know of a few other TX landlords who added Quad Pods this year and some failed to get any martins because they did not control starlings (it would have been so easy for them to use the sreh inserts!). Most landlords that buy them are pleased with them - they are going to last you a long time with minimal maintenance. My personal preference is for gourds - but there is nothing at all wrong with the Quad Pods, and they are easy to clean at the end of the season, too. I do suggest you hang a few gourds below them, though, as it may help you get some martins in residence more quickly.

Louise
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

Dora,
We have had the quad pod system (8 pods) for two years now. The first year we didn't attract any nesting martins (although there were a LOT of looky loos) and the second year we moved it closer to our house and added horizontal gourds. A very territorial ASY male who attracted a beautiful SY female moved in. He kept all the other martins away. There were several that tried to move into the pods but he chased them away. He and his wife were in one of the gourds.
The pole is very strong and has been through some high winds. It is also easy to raise/lower the unit. Nest checks are easy as well as you can just pop the top off. They are staggered on the pole so there is plenty of room inbetween each pod to prevent fights. It also comes with interchangeable doors - either round or crescent as well as solid doors to close off whichever unit you want. We used the crescent since we do have a starling problem. I can't tell you how it compares to others in this heat, but we live near you so our weather is pretty much the same.
The bad news was we lost the mother and six robust babies to a snake, but that was not the fault of the house. We had put up an irrigation system and think he got up the wire (dumb, dumb, dumb). But we learned a lot through our mistake. We found the snake right away and hopefully because we removed the entire gourd immediately, we haven't ruined our chances of getting birds next season. It was too late this year for any other birds to start nesting. We have had MANY visiting birds since that horrible incident.
In all honestly though, I think if I were to do it over again, I'd have all gourds. And I say that because the gourds are what attracted the birds in the first place and that is what the pair picked. But if you prefer a house, I think the quad pods are a good solid setup, but they are expensive.
Sharon