officially a landlord again

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MB12RING

Well, I'm back to being a landlord again, this nest is at a satellite colony i started last year but the tree swallows got in one of the gourds and ran off most visitors. I waited a little longer to put up the housing this year and didn't add gourds until June. The pair is an asy male, not sure on the female.
The eggs should hatch around the 8th of July. You can see they even brought in the tag end of a zip tie that i was using to hold extra perches on with and must have dropped on the ground after i cut it off.
Just wanted to add too for anyone on the fence about offering sreh, there is no way these birds could have nested here without them. I was concerned watching then try to get in at first, but they did and i think they feel safer knowing starlingscan't get in their nest. I watched the male Martin sit and watch as a starling went all around trying each hole. He was relaxed as could be, just preening, and probably laughing at the starling :)
Attachments
20130627_083438-1-1-1-1.jpg
20130627_083438-1-1-1-1.jpg (19.53 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
2013, back in the game with a pair at my satelite colony that has eggs due to hatch around July 7th
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

That's Awesome! Good Luck!
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Yippee! I feel the same way about my SREH. Even with a wing entrapment death early season.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
MB12RING

Thanks, ladies. I'm really excited about having them again.

Ma B, congrats on your first nesting pair and babies, very exciting!

Deb, congrats on a nice increase in numbers this year, you'll be full up before you know it!

Matt
2013, back in the game with a pair at my satelite colony that has eggs due to hatch around July 7th
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.

I find it quite interesting to see what nesting materials our PMs use from location to location, like whatever source is readily available. Interesting tho, that they would choose a plastic zip tie. Resourceful!

SREH- I am thankful every day for this wonderful invention by some dedicated purple martin lovers! I would have easily been beaten and failed from frustration if I'd had the round holes and twice as many pests to fight this year with a new house and all.

I'm nuts over my one little nest. It is "the precious" to me as the ring was to Gollum in "Lord of the Rings"! You only have one nest too, so probably are all about protecting the precious as well! :lol:
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.