looking for suggestions on pier end housing

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
nbaum

I have three martin nests in a house at the end of my lake house pier. The house is a plastic one that I really want to replace next year. I have it on a telescoping pole that is a real problem to lower. In fact I did it once and will not do it again. even when the housing is lowered I can't really get access all around to open the compartments because some of them would require me to be off the pier. I also have a T-14 on shore about 30 yards a way that has two nests this year after being empty for 5 years. The housing at the piers end is a problem also because the pier is taken out in the winter and put back in the spring. This year the ice out was so late the martins were back and the pier was not in.
I would really like to get rid of the pier end housing next year if the martins would switch over to the T-14. The T-14 is much better housing and easy to access for nest checks. What I fear is that if I remove the pier end housing my martins will leave rather than move to the T-14. There are some trees closer to the T-14 than I would like but that's the best I can do.
My questions are these.
1- Should I just not put up the pier end housing next year and hope the martins move to the T-14?
2- Is there a better design pier end housing that I can get to allow for better lowering and access to the compartments?

I'am just thinking ahead to next year. I have an extra T-14 I removed from my other site I could use, but how?
MB12RING

nbaum

Is there any way to install a permanent pole next to where the pier goes?
If you could set a dock post or something that could stay in the water you might be able to attach the T-14 pole directly to that, and still access it from your pier.

I also saw a landlord that had several gourds just a few feet off the water that were well occupied.
2013, back in the game with a pair at my satelite colony that has eggs due to hatch around July 7th
nbaum

I permanent post is somewhat out of the question. wind blown ice could tear it out in the spring. I was thinking about putting a hole in the middle of my 4' wide pier. I could then insert a pole thru the hole to the lake bottom. If the pole was driven into the bottom and was tight at the pier that would be sufficient I believe to hold the pole up. The distance between the lake bottom and the pier is approx 9 feet. The only thing wrong with putting a T-14 there is that its heavy and not the quickest thing to erect. Once in place however I would have access all around and be able to lower it with the winch. Maybe the thing to do is cut down the T-14 to make a T-10 or even a T-6. If the martins run out of housing ( I should be so lucky!) they would go to my land based T-14. Perhaps some kind of pocket in their middle of the pier that the pole drops in to.
Siberman

Maybe a tube sized to fit the pole with a large flange at the upper opening ? You could cut a hole in the wood just big enough for the tube to fit then screw the flange down . I guess I'm describing a suspended ground socket. :roll:

Of course , you have to consider your wind / ice / pole height conditions but this seems easier to me than sinking a pole through the pier and into the lake bed. It would also be easier to remove if necessary.
2010: 5 pair - raptor attack .
2011 : nada .
2012 : 1 pair - 5 eggs / 5 fledged .
2013: zero
2014: Lots of visitors
2015 : several visitors . Seriously considering purchasing a drone to scare off raptors .
nbaum

I don't think that just a flange on the pier would be strong enough. Driving into the lake bottom and then the support at the pier 9 feet up forms a couple that can really resist wind loads. (I'am an engineer , can you tell?)
Having a second pole that then secures into the first would make it relatively easy to assemble. If I had some light housing attached to the pole with the winch attached all as an assembly could be a quick install.
All I would have to do is wait till the pier is installed, Drive the 1st pole into the lake bottom then drop the pole, housing with winch into the socket.
The only draw back is that I still have to wait for the pier to be installed and I have to remove the pole that was driven into the lake bottom at seasons end.