TRAPPING HOSP QUESTION

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DottieL

I have SREH doors, no martins .... yet.

What can I do to the SREH entrance so ONLY sparrows can enter. I want to use the sticky glue trap.
Dorothy ......in the "Land of the Yellow Brick Road" click click !!
Leandortree

DottieL,
Hello welcome to our forum, you could employ a Universal Sparrow Trap to start with, the PMCA Shop has them for $25.00. Sticky mouse Traps are a little messy, and are not a front line trap, more of a last choice. You will need to place a entry hole reducer on the entry hole, so as the PM's cannot enter, you need this with any trap. As I said in a another thread, if we are going to host PM's we will need to buy a few sparrow traps, because they never stop coming. It sounds like you will have plenty of room for many Purple Martins having 10 acres of land and all. :) A entry hole reducer should be just under 1.5 inches
I wish you many Martins this year, and good trapping too!
Saskatchewan "The land of living skies"
Leandortree colony
2012-46 pair 200+ Fledged
DottieL

I can't remember what kind of Trio house I have. It looks like the Musselmanthat's pictured in the shop, but don't know how to identify for sure. I have owned it at least 10-15 years. I can raise and lower it on a pulley system. It has two levels and 12 apts (converted to 6 condos).

The SHOP info says it may NOT work with "excluder" entrances....I have the "excluder II". And it will not work in a couple of the Trio per the shop info. Can you tell by my description which Trio I have.?

Have you had experiences with this Universal Trap and "excluder II" entrances?

Thanks for letting me know the sparrow hole is 1.5". Might be difficult to rig that up for my excluder II entrances.

Does SREH = EXCLUDER II ??
John Miller

On crescents, and I think will work on excluder II, I shim the sides in to 1 7/16, or just under 1.5 inches. You can tape something rigid at the sides, but experiment with putting it inside as taping outside may spook them.

John M
Matt F.

:idea: That sure would be a nice, new item, to potentially see in the PMCA store.
Hole reducers, that easily clip on to existing holes - round and starling resistant.:idea:
Maybe something available with the insert traps?
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

DottieL,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you use a hole reducer, try and use a rigid piece of plastic. I made one out of a cool whip container, and although I knew a sparrow was entering that compartment regularly, a pair of martins came along and the male decided it wasn't worth trying to get in, but the female dug her nails in and pushed her way through that opening and laid right down on that glue trap. It was very difficult removing her from the trap, but I did and once I cleaned her up, she flew off, but I think (I know) she changed her mind and decided not to stay in that house, so it sat empty for that year.

Please be careful when using those glue traps.

Bill
EGunterTX

I just used a couple of strips of masking tape on either side of the crescents. Only HOSPs got in. was pretty effective.
Between traps, pellets, glue strips & walking outside when I saw the feathered rats, the PUMAs finally got the idea. Saw one running off a HOSP with grass in his beak twice today.
DottieL

Thanks all...I have no martins yet, but I sure want to avoid removing one from a glue strip. If I knew the Universal Sparrow trap would work with my Trio and the "excluderII" entrance, I would purchase it.

If I could figure out which Trio I have....hmmm...
DottieL

Matt F. wrote::idea: That sure would be a nice, new item, to potentially see in the PMCA store.
Hole reducers, that easily clip on to existing holes - round and starling resistant.:idea:
Maybe something available with the insert traps?
What a great idea!!!
Matt F.

DottieL wrote:Does SREH = EXCLUDER II ??
Here's a helpful entrance ID chart:
You stated you have a Trio, well 8), you have an advantage for trapping sparrows, in being able to acquire the tried-and-true Spare-O-Door trap.
Already has a small, 1.5" hole to keep Martins out, and simply replaces the current, swing-up Trio door, until you trap the house sparrow.
They are worth their weight in gold.
Here it is in the PMCA store:
http://shop.purplemartin.org/Spare_O_Door-details.aspx
DottieL

Thanks Matt.... All this time I thought I purchased excluder II, but with your handy reference chart I see I have the excluder.

I have used the Spar-o-door years ago and had trouble with the sparrows not wanting to jump into the tube. Sometimes they would jump in as soon as I jiggled the house. Other times I raised the house and waited and waited. I really hated that because there were times they would be in the tube too long. Got my tube messy... :lol:

That may be my answer though.
Matt F.

I know what you mean about them not wanting to exit into the tube.
If you have enlarged compartments, the technique that always works for me is, once the house sparrow is trapped, and the tube is clipped on and ready with the trap shutter open, slightly open that back door to the enlarged compartment (not enough for the house sparrow to escape, but enough to get a few fingers in there and wiggle them around), and in my experiences, this almost always flushed them out, and into the awaiting tube.
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

Dottie and matt.. I use a piece of copper wire and stick it in the holes of the trios to encourage the sparrows to come out. Typically within 10 secs they are out... once in a while, especially the females, one will be stubborn.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
DottieL

Great ideas....this will help a bunch....
Matt F.

Just for the record, I think Dorn holds the world record for the number of house sparrows caught in a Spare-O-Door trap, in a 24-hour period.... 8)
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

Yes Matt you have a great idea for the PM house manufacturers to come up with a PM excluder door for their houses. One more thing to make money on. I would def buy 1 or 2, as would many PM landlords and wannabe landlords. Those stinkin HOSP are relentless! PS: MR TRENDESTTER, are you listening? Mary
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.
DottieL

Matt F. wrote:Just for the record, I think Dorn holds the world record for the number of house sparrows caught in a Spare-O-Door trap, in a 24-hour period.... 8)
Okay ya got me....how many??
Matt F.

For the 24-hour duration record, that's a good question on how many.
I probably should've said the record for Spare-O-Door trappings during a 1 hour lunch break.
I think he nabbed 4 of those little flee bags during one of his lunch hours.
DottieL

Cool, thanks Matt..
Leandortree

Hi Dorothy, in the land of the yellow brick road!
I didn't abandon your question. I was observing the thread, and seen you were receiving some very good advice. I know not about the house you have, I know they are very popular with martin hosts. The spare-O- door is perhaps the best house sparrow trap out there. For folks that don't have the Trio martin house, the Spare-O-Door, can be used in a little wooden house made just for it.
Good Luck ,I wish you many "Click Clicks" this year :)
Saskatchewan "The land of living skies"
Leandortree colony
2012-46 pair 200+ Fledged