Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

I know this subject has been discussed on the Forum many times, but I need a refresher course.

Can some of you recommend a reasonably priced air rifle for Sparrow and Starling control. By reasonably priced I mean around $100.00 if that is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
Don Strickland

I have purchased two that ran around $250.00 each. I gave one away and put the other in the gun cabinet for good. I couldn't shoot consistently with either of them.
Don
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Many of the air rifles in that range are inconsistent. You can purchase them and hope that you get lucky and get a good accurate one. Or you can take it home and try it, and return it if its not reliable..If you get lucky, you will have a good airrifle real cheap. Only a few are very accurate.

I purchased about 3 of different makes and styles, non were worth buying, it was all wasted money, so then I got a German made Beeman, its very accurate and reliable. Even with a German made Beeman, you must get the German made, the Chinese one is also not worth buying.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Don Strickland

I've read good reviews for Beeman and Marauder, but have already wasted a little over $500.00, but I am fortunate enough to live in an area where I can use a 22. Mostly a heavy barrel Ruger 10/22 and a good scope. Aging eyes demands a good scope. Very accurate. Tuned in at 50 yards on a quarter size target. I must admit that I do miss a shot now and again. :-) BUT NOT MANY !!
Don
Rick Meyer

Hey Hanover,
Based on your price point I'd go with a Benjamin Titan .22 cal. Bass Pro 159.97. I have one and have been taking out sparrows at 25 - 30 yds. (I can hear the rumbling from those who have $500 guns..........silence!) With this gun it's all about the pellet and getting through the break in period and obviously dialing in the scope. I tried 6 or 7 pellets in this gun after break-in and found the Beeman FTS Copper Domed 14.72 grain pellet to be a match made in heaven. @10.00 per 200 from Pyramyd Air. For a mere 180.00, you can be a sparrow killing machine. (Starlings are a cake-walk) Sorry....I can't get you down to 100.00. Good Luck
Matt F.

Hi Bill.
I'm on a shoestring budget myself.
I was in the market years back, for a decent, low cost pellet gun.
One of the reasons I'm able to go as cheap as I do, and still be successful, is by closing the distance from where I'm shooting from, to the sparrow that's not welcome. I'm talking real close at times (like 20 to 25 feet away).
The gun I've used for years to take 'em out, is the Daisy PowerLine 880.
It's a base, pneumatic pellet gun, that shoots .177 caliber pellets.
I've matched it with a $25 Gamo LC 4 x 32 scope.
Keep in mind, this is not a super-high power pellet gun, and I'm shooting consistently from less than 40 feet (often times only 25 feet).
However, with this combo, I'm nailing sparrows with great accuracy.
Another thing I like about pneumatics, is the ability to use lower power, in settings where the big 1000fps plus guns, may not be discreet enough, or have too much power that is not even needed, given the shorter distances your engaging from.
Last edited by Matt F. on Fri May 10, 2013 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
PM Pataskala

I can't believe it...... Last night i ordered a CO2 Hammerli 850 with scope. - $ 400.00

I have a cheap pellet gun. Have shot at many birds and hit only one. At 60 feet a sparrow is a very small target tough to hit even with an accurate rifle and almost impossible with a cheap gun.

Good luck
Dick Robinson
2016 - Dagnabbit - Still a lonely wannabe landlord. :-(
2015 - Still no martins
2014 - No luck yet... Not seeing many martins in the area.
2013 - First year trying. I've done everything to attract PM's except giving them free airfare to get here. Maybe I'll do that too !!!

PMCA Member
Tallsilver

I have a "cheap" Stoeger X10 that I paid $129 for. After a little break in period, it does pretty well. I have picked a sparrow off my gourd porch at about 70'.......but I've also nicked the porch on a few as well!! I'm in the process of putting a scope on it now.....the old eyes aren't what they use to be. But, for the money, I'm happy with the purchase.
Aaron S Piver
Conway, SC
Nealbopper

I just purchased a Benjamin Marauder PCP in .22 cal. Broke it in and I nailed a sparrow at 80 yards two nights ago. furthest Starling was 90 yards. These guns are bigger and more expensive but they are quiet as all get out and fast on the second, third shot if you get the chance. I'm inside a quarter at 50 yards. Just keep it clean and your accuracy will improve 50%
Don Strickland

Nealbopper,
I assume you tuned your scope in at 50 yards....
How much hold over do you use for 80 and 90 yard shots???
Just curious.
Don
AidanRois
Martin Colony History: Since 2012

Tallsilver wrote:I have a "cheap" Stoeger X10 that I paid $129 for. After a little break in period, it does pretty well. I have picked a sparrow off my gourd porch at about 70'.......but I've also nicked the porch on a few as well!! I'm in the process of putting a scope on it now.....the old eyes aren't what they use to be. But, for the money, I'm happy with the purchase.
That's the one we use. With the scope ours came with, she'll drop anything you're going after. We've gotten HOSP, Starlings, and husband even bagged a few squirrels with it the other weekend. Very nice gun for the price.
Tiffeny N. - Horn Lake, MS - PMCA member
----------------------------------
Since 2012
pmcharter1

my neighbor has a old one , not sure if they still make them, it a sheridon, (sp)the hardest pellet gun ive seen, and accurate , he doesnt use a scope, and still knocks those sparrows at 20 yrds!
Nealbopper

I sighted in my gun in at 50 yards. I use the wire frame for yard signs you can buy at home depot. Tape paper to it and buy the high vis targets. I move the target at all yardage points using my yardage pro. 15, 20, 30, 65 70. After shooting a full tin of pellets your gun is broke in. Give it a good cleaning and shot more. You will notice a trend where you need to either hold over or under depending on where your target is. Watch the Youtube video's of Ted's holdover / by typing EdGun into the search queries. Ted has great video's and he explains hoe to get results. The Marauder is a powerful pellet gun. I bought the .22 and the .25 at the same time. I shoot larger query with the .25. I shoot everything else with the .22. Good luck and have fun. P.S. the Benjamin Marauder is virtually silent too so you can shoot it in your neighborhood just be cautious of your background.
Matt F.

Nealbopper wrote:Watch the Youtube video's of Ted's holdover / by typing EdGun into the search queries. Ted has great video's and he explains hoe to get results.
I love that guy's videos!
I repeatedly watch the ones where he's shooting sparrows and starlings.
He does a really good job of educating folks about certain birds.
He is a true pellet gun master!
I know lots of folks have seen many of his videos, but here are a couple that definitely warrant a re-posting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBg_NroPXSo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxR0ifBc0-g