An owl named Arnold

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Eyestothesky2

Hello PM friends, Hope you all are doing well this season. We have been doing GREAT since changing to SREH. No more starling woes! But alas, there is a greater threat lurking in the night.....After an outing on Saturday evening, my husband and I came home to find a great horned owl sitting on our PM gourd rack!! He flew away at that time, but apparently visited again later that night. On Sunday morning there was one of the new SREH inserts on the ground -leaving a huge gaping hole where it once was. The female was there, but no male to be accounted for. Those inserts were difficult for even my 47 yr. old hubby to insert/remove!! So I guess my question is how in the world did an owl remove that insert?! This morning we found another gourd breached in the same way. Today we used a polyurethane glue on all the gourds. Not sure if we will be missing another martin. We are still waiting for them to come in to roost.
Bob Allnock

Unfortunately once a GHO has success getting to your martins he will be difficult to deter. I had a remote site that was almost completely wiped out by a GHO. He broke out almost all of my excluder ll inserts and there were martin remains everywhere. I since added cages and the problem seems to be eliminated. He is still around but not causing problems anymore.

You may want to consider using some sort of cage to keep him away.

Good luck to you and your martins
Bob Allnock Portersville, Pa.
pmlover

bob How do u make owl guards
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died
Bob Allnock

pmlover,

I should have mentioned at the site I spoke of I put cages on T-14s I have never installed them on gourd racks yet but there have been several posts about doing this with photos. If you want to make cages for a T-14 send me a e-mail and I would be glad to help you. I don't know exactly where New Concord is but I don't think it is too far from me. I live in Pa right across the state line.

Are you having owl problems?
Bob Allnock Portersville, Pa.
Scully

Eyes,

I'm afraid you may have a problem more catastrophic even than starlings.

The owl will indeed return every night until it has caught all it can, and as folks have posted here they have wiped out more than a few colonies.

Outside wire guards seem to have fallen out of fashion, but here are some we had made to go with our Geminis (ignore starling in pic :oops: ).

How they work is they make it difficult for an owl to access the gourd itself since owl cannot perch on or cling to the wire very easily, and they interfere with its wings if it attempts to hover.

Perhaps you could quickly fabricate some out of heavy gauge wire and hose clamps.

Hoping for the best,

Mike Scully

MIke Sully
...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them. Canasatego 1744
pmcharter1

I agree with mike, onece the owl visits, he will be their nightly. you can pur owl racks around your housing, expensive, but they work,, the pic mike showed, they work, but, owls still can breech those two little rods.even tiger hawks,.
I would call your local game warden, and see if they could help you trap him, im sure they would, good luck
Eyestothesky2

Thank you all for your much needed advice. I think that we will try the wire guards that you mentioned Scully. Thank you for posting the pic. PMcharter1, do you know who manufactures the owl racks that you suggested? I am curious about just how much money this remedy would set us back. We have battled house sparrows from the beginning, starlings for 3 years, but never in our 14 years as PM landlords have we faced a foe of this magnitude. Thank you all again for taking the time to help.
pmcharter1

eyestothesky,
im sure my friend can help you. last yr , him and i, founded the first pm chapter in IA,our Second potluck -presentation is august 17th this yr in Madrid ia.we our launching a a wb site this month, where you can go to, its www.iamartin.org, you can visit it now, but not totaly live.til mid May.
His name is Dave Duit, his -e-mail address is Dave duit@yahoo.com he lives in the country and has owl proablems, he built his own rack around his gourds, several of them, as he has a large colony, he knows his stuff, ive e-mailed him letting him know you may be contacting him.he may know a manufacture, not sure, he bought the materials, and had somone weld his design. give him a shout, he can help you, in the meantime, ill look around for you also. were here to help each other!
sincerely,pmcharter1
Eyestothesky2

pmcharter1, I will definitely be visiting your website and contacting your friend Dave! So far we haven't seen further evidence of the nightime menace, but I know that doesn't mean the GHO has given up. Again, thank you so very much for your input. It seems most people today are so caught up in their own problems that they can't or won't take the time to help others...you all have went above and beyond to help us. I hope that we can one day return the favor. Forever grateful, Christy Cummings