Too Late to Put Up More Houses

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
AvianStewardess

Hello, Everybody. I think this will be filed under a really good problem to have but I don't think I have up enough houses. Last night's curfew bell had far more birds coming in than my gang of eight; their acrobats left me losing count at 16...or was that two more over there? :) Anyways, I have up eleven compartments. The gang of eight is occupying two poles - three couples on one pole, one on another. Am I asking to lose all of them if I put up more houses? The configuration of the system means that the houses will be installed above the existing. Advice greatly appreciated!!!
~Michelle
PMCA Member
Heritage Farm Quad Pod Systems
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Have your 8 been there for a little bit? I actually would try it. These birds are so adaptable when it comes to their housing. Like they know exactly what and why we are doing what we do. Just leave the orientation of the current housing in the same place which sounds like you would anyway. I understand the risk but..I am sure that I would give that a try. That's great, btw!
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

p.s. Glad to see I am not the only one with counting difficulties! I have 16 to 20 birds here and I struggle all the time. It reminds me of The Count from my Sesame Street days a hundred years ago! 1, 2, 3...
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
AvianStewardess

I'm glad you responded, Deb, because I know you have a new pole, too. A consult with the bubby reminds me that I've been saying "gang of eight" for a little over two weeks...They seem pretty dedicated; yesterday, a female came down from feeding in the sky to yell at a House Sparrow (will it ever be enticed by the bread in the trap????) until it left her porch (and then I tormented it with the pellet gun until it left - yes, one of those times weeding with a gun on hand).

Thanks for the advice. Now I just have to talk myself over this bridge.
~Michelle
PMCA Member
DebA

When I think about it my birds have been through this year: Complete new housing upon arrival; completely iced into their cavaties; learning how to catch flipped food; T-storm; high winds several times; HOSP continuously; shot gun blasts; rapid fire .22 blasts shooting a skunk in the barn (last night) that flushed everybody; skunk smell :???: ; CRP field fire very close to their housing; riding lawn mower; temps in the 20's overnight several times.

Having lived through all that they seem to be thriving and very happy. I haven't received the obvious rush of subbies yet. So putting more housing that looks just like their housing, on top of their housing? I really think they will be like...good. There you go you guys...get out of my personal space and find a place of your own!

I would do it. Others might not. I would. 2 weeks is quite the committment to your site and not to mention site fidelity they have already. Good luck!

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
Peggy Riley

Go ahead, it shouldn't cause any problems! Some might move to higher spots but they won't leave.
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
Robbo

Somewhere I read 2 houses are better than one :grin: . I think I read here somewhere, if you don't expand your site you may face a decline in your colony numbers? I maybe wrong but I have found the more housing offered the stronger the colony grows. Heck, after being told Martin's would not nest in Gourds in the North I was 70% successful with them last year! Expand!
2009. 98 eggs, 66 hatch, 61 fledged.
2010. 114 eggs, 89 hatch,70 fledged.
2011. 96 eggs. 80 hatch,68 fledged.Heavy Merlin preditation.
2012. 89 eggs. 56 hatch, good fledge. Guards installed. Merlin not sighted at houses.
2013. First Egg May 24, first Baby June 13.
2014. successful.
2015. successful.
2016. Martin's population decline, suspect new housing in the neighborhood. Merlin eating well also!
2017.Population explosion :grin: . first egg May 25 in a BO-11
2018. Population stable.
pmcharter1

Avian.
my rule of thumb, if you are already thinking, you are 80% occupied, add more housing. some my just be passing thru as the migration is slow, they may be over night guests, its never to late to add housing in my opinion!
sincerely, pm charter1
AvianStewardess

Thanks, everybody! I added four to the middle pole a few days ago and those, I think, were taken up last night. I still saw a few more looking for compartments so I'll add rows to the other two poles, too. That will give me 24 compartments!
~Michelle
PMCA Member
DebA

Woo hoo! I'm so glad!
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR