our passion runs high for our birds!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
pmcharter1

first, i want to thank louise, for all she does on this web site, how she keeps up, i dont know!
migration has been tough this yr, esp, the midwest, and the dakotas, one thing ive found, as every landlord on this site have pulled togeather, to give insite to others in need, where it be nesting, supplimental feeding, ect, problems with housing, poles, enterances, (ADVISE), no matter what state we live in, we all seem to read the threads and help each other out----, and by doing so, have built a relationship with others far away, we hope to meet them some day, but chatting with them on line , you feel you have known them fot a life time . thanks to this website, i have met alot of great poeple that enjoy what i do to., we are a Colony of our own so to speak, that keeps our passion for our hobby, a continuience of what we beleive in, and to help this majestic bird, its flight, to and from.
countiue to educate new lanldlords , mentor them, i beleive, our birds will flourish, our efforts to our Martins, do not go unnoticed!.
sincerely
Pm charter1
Kent Justus

Amen.... PMCharter1 !!
DakotaLady

PM...I wholeheartedly agree. I am so thankful I have this forum to read through. I've learned so much and have gained some nice long distance friends.

We still do not have birds this far north and I am wearing the scout report out by viewing it so many times a day. I'm sure we will begin to see birds migrate north again this week as the weather is supposed to be really nice.

My friends and family do not understand my obsession with these birds and this is the only place I can read what others have to say about them. Thank you for that.
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
DakotaLady

Deleting as I became impatient and hit my submit key twice.
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
pmcharter1

mine, yours, everyone who is a active landlord, -- our passion runs deep. Here in Iowa, our whether is still crud!, they are talking snow, this week, temps in the 30s, rain, tough!
i had 3 pairs show up a week anda half ago, looked good, i feed them scrambeled eggs, nesting matrerial, in place, then came the monsoon, cold , rain., never seen um. thank god , i do my nest cks, i capped off most rooms, and my vents to keep the trios warmer, as i open a few for scouts, , and open things up big time after that. constant battle cleaning out sparrow nest s until i have to.in a middle room, i found two, they could barly hold there heads up,, made me sick!, hypothermia, i dont know, i put rubber gloves on, had nesting box ready to go, placed them in it. Brought them inside, in my den down stairs, , had a feeding tray ready with eggs. , capped the room off, as they warmed up, i could hear them get more active. i shut the light off, left a night light on, , -- i slept there two,, on the floor as long as the light was off, they wernt as restless, i capped of my window with a curtain.the next morning, they were two different birds, eating, eyes much better, hold their heads, up, so i waited, before i went to work , placed them in the room where i found them yesterday, we got near 65 today, then came the rain, never seen um, lowerd both houses today, nothing, not sure where they went, hope i did the right thing!, im positive, they would have passed, that night if not bringing them in, nothing laying in the yrd. as active as they were the morning in the nest box, when i opened it up, i put on gloves, lowred the house, they never flinced, let me pick them right up., put them in the room where i found them , had eggs ready for them, raised the house, now gone, but the rain is here now, just hope--- i didnt make a mistake!, my family understands, my passion, and have read up on the migration, and habits, so they understand somewhat, the overnight stay got them by surprise, my neighbors think im crazy,( atleast one does ha) but they sit on their decks like i do and enjoy this small amount of time thru out the summer we have with them, does it get any better?
AvianStewardess

DakotaLady wrote: My friends and family do not understand my obsession with these birds.
Start taking photographs of the birds, and the jokes stop. Something about going to the effort to set-up a tripod with a lens bigger than many babies just makes a non-birder shut-up. And then when you hand them a photograph of a predator bird with a snake in its talons there's just a little bit of understanding in their eyes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91724865@N06/8430525601/
~Michelle
PMCA Member
Heritage Farm Quad Pod Systems