what's a good gun to shoot sparows with not to powerful!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Sharon Wangen, MN

Question for Sandy
I have the same air rifle you mentioned. Lately I keep missing the target. Which brand of pellets do you have success with? I've been using crossman. Some have a dome point and this other style doesn't. I need to work on getting it sighted back in. This season the sparrows are just horrible and winter here in Minnesota doesn't want to quit. I remember you from Martinfest 2003. 😊 It's nice to see friends are still here.
Sandy - NC

DakotaLady, that is the Chinese model. Good luck with it. Some have had success with it, but most have not because the rifling is not cut to quality standards, as well as lesser quality in other areas.

Sharon, my R-7 prefers JSB Exacts 8.4 gr and my R-9 prefers Beeman Kodiak Match Heavy. Both are domed pellets and not found locally unless you are near an airgun dealer. I get mine from Straightshooters. Now, this does mean that these are what pellets your gun will like, but it is a good starting point. I have found that domed pellets are best for my shooting. Flat nose and pointed are the worst. These are just my experience.

The biggest mistake people make is buying a quality gun and then the cheapest or whatever pellet is available near them. You must find out what your gun likes and use only that pellet. You must practice, practice, and practice. These two things will give you confidence which is 90% of shooting.

Like others have said, you get one good shot at S&S, and if you miss, you will find succeeding shots harder to get as they will not give you an easy opportunity for a second shot.
Don't ever, ever give up. It will happen.

sbunn1@suddenlink.net
DakotaLady

Sandy, this one says it was made in Spain. It is a fairly heavy duty gun. I appreciate all the information.
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
pmcharter1

i use a winchester 74 ,rifel 22 auto, with scope, you cant shoot at the house with this one, i buy 22 cartridges, with bird shot, wait for them to leave, perch close to a tree, and blast them, , if i cant use that i use a Daisy 880 pellet gun, i perfer the pellets, rather than bbs. i have a small scope on mine, and perches are long!, you cant aford to bullet riddle your house, if you pump it up 15 times, its accurate, if you shoot them off the perch, just remember to pump it up the same every time for the same accuracy. scope doesnt hurt for accuracy.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

I rely on my pellet gun 100% of the time because hubby is afraid to use a .22, with neighbors about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. But sometimes, I need something with heavier shot & longer reach - especially when it's so windy out!!! We've tried the CB shorts, but it seems that they're not consistent, although it could be the gun. We bought it at a gun show, and I think the rifling in the barrel is shot out.

We're looking to buy a new one. PM - are the .22 shells specifically labeled "bird shot"? Are those the same as "CB shorts"?
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Don Strickland

Kathy,
The CB shorts have a lead projectile. Probably a round nose.
I think the bird shot shells are called shot shells but it's been a long time since I bought any because I found they were not effective except at really close range. I never get a close shot because the sparrows around here don't trust me. :grin:
I use Remington Yellow Jacket ammo, long rifle, hollow point. Very accurate but I have to take care and make sure I have a good shot before I pull the trigger. Don't want to shoot the neighbors cows and horses.
Don
Chriscreole

Here is an old post for my HOSP problem

http://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewt ... highlight=
PMCA Member since 2010
Super System 24, All Troyer W/Conley 2 entrances.
bacato

I listed my choice in the subject line. Year or two ago I was asking these same questions and I took that advice. Buy a good pellet rifle, the $200 gamo's I tried from local retailers were not consistent. After you pick up a good rifle, purchase a variety pack of well known pellets - try them all til you find one that you are consistent with in the gun, then buy a tin of 500. From 50 feet, it's rare that I miss. Granted, I'm picking my position, leaning on a tree, etc. The birds do learn that you are after them - you have to change up tactics - I back my truck down the driveway and wait for them to fly back, have your gun perched and ready. Good luck!
2010: two pair nested, 1 bird fledged.
2011: starlings/sparrows destroyed nests. I shut down the house early to save PM lives.
2012: new T-14 with SREH, & a Beeman R7. Four fledged this year.
2013: Destroyed many house sparrows, but fledged 21 PM's!
RC Moser

are the .22 shells specifically labeled "bird shot"? yes and no. Are those the same as "CB shorts"? No.

yes and No. birdshot some have plastic cap at the end where the lead bullet is seen and some are crimped at the end. I think remington calls them rat shot with picture of rat on the box??. Inside the capsule are usually #12 buckshot gun shot in.22 cal several manufactures make .22 shotgun loads and shot loads for other calibers like 38s 44s and 45 cal. CCI calls them shot shells. So you can say the .22 birdshot a mini shotgun shell. Alot more safer than Rim fire lead bullets....

CCI makes the CB load (lead bullet), It does have small amount of gun power and travels 710 fps out the barrel . Aquila makes couple lit loads Called the Aquila Colibri. it only has the primer and is probably the lightest load in .22 cal rifle you can get, it also makes little noise, but range is way less than CB load.. Aquila Colibri also make super Colibri with little more power but not much with small amount power (real small). Remington also makes sub-sonic load but is more powerful than the CB loads.

So here is list from the least power or weakest .22 ammo

1. .22 Aquila colibri
2. .22 Aquila Super Colibri
3. CCI CB load shorts or longs 710 FPS
4. . Remington short .22 load 903 FPS
5. Remington Subsonic .22 long rifle load 1050 FPS
6. CCI mini-mag long rifle 1235 FPS
7. multi-brands of stinger loads (hot .22 long rifles loads) 1350 or more FPS

.22 birdshot or shot shells Class of it own and would be after .22 Aquila super colibri and before CCI CB load.

Even the CCI CB load can still be lethal at 70 yards and beyond.

I had the Aquila bounce off two by four at 25 feet and some hit the ground very made it out the barrel. These are Made in Mexico and IMO anything beyond 10 feet IMO may not hit close to the target bullseye. SOme have good luck with them and swear by them but I'm not impressed with them.

CB load has some powder and the power and accuracy is excellent, some my give weird pop and not hit close to the bullseye but 95% are good IMO.

Regular .22 full powder loads (shorts, Longs, and Long rifle) has full power and power, accuracy goes way up along with energy. Even though they start dropping off at 50 yards and beyond they still have knock down killing power.

Some say bird shot will damage .22 cal rifle. I am not sure as long as you clean the barrel good after shooting bird shot in it before you shoot regular .22 cal loads.
Last edited by RC Moser on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmcharter1

kathy, the ones i had were labeled that, they were handed down to me from my grandad 20 yrs ago, he bought them in a case, 10bxs 50shells to a box, and same with the 22 long rifels, he bought them by the case. my shells are crimped on the end, and hold several tiny pellets, they hold a small charge of powder_ primer, shoot like a rim fire, i havent had to buy any new ones as i have plenty,there are no jackets on these, as i know thing s have changed, i need to go back and look at the box now, , but they work, as far as rc moser , things have changed, to be honest i have never had to go buy new ones, cant figure why they would ever need a jackeded end, , but he seem s to be more updated than me, as i havent had to buy the new one, but i keep all my shells in a safe, deer, turkey, 22s, my hand guns ammo to qualify, all shotgun shells, and all my 30.30s, 30.6. , 243s, never had but a few misfires,. im looking for a old box now, as i tookthem out and put them in plastic cases., i do like my
the one oldcase i had was from Monark,( red box)other was called hi-power manufactured in minneapopis, minnesota, federal cartridge corp. , they still work, only difference is kath, are my cartrige is crimped, the new ones must have a jacket, , ,of some sort, but as long as we get the same result, were fine, i do like my 880 daisy, it has a rubber gasket in the pump handle, i lubricate it once every month, a drop of oil, -- 2 and 1 what ever, , i prefer the pelletts. remember to pump the gun the same reps, 15 or what ever, and shoot from the same yrdage everytime, pick a ambush site so to speak, and shoot from their. i have a cheap scope on mine, you dont need it if you can use sites, just helps, if i take a longer shot, i just pump it 2 -3 more times , , get a good rest and you wont miss!
hpoe all is well, sincerely
pm charter
Don Strickland

the one on the left is a standard round.....then two variations of 22 shotshell rounds.
Last edited by Don Strickland on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DakotaLady

I use the middle bullet with the crimped end and it works SO wonderfully. I wish there was a way to shoot the gun without the noise so the neighbors would not hear each shot.
~Tangula~

BirdBrain

DakotaLady, how 'bout a suppressor? They are legal to own in ND, and also legal to hunt with (not that pest control has anything to do with hunting laws).

The procedure to get one is a little involved (involves passport photos, fingerprints and getting the autograph of the high sheriff or chief of police), the federal tax is $200 IN ADDITION TO the price of the silencer ($250+), and it typically takes the Feds at least six months to process your paperwork. Not to mention they're in very short supply because of the widespread fear that very soon some guy in DC is going to take away everything we have that's more dangerous than a soup spoon.

Suppressors screw onto the barrel so, presuming your rifle wasn't threaded for a muzzle device when you bought it (some are), you'll also have to find a competent gunsmith to thread your rifle's barrel to accept to it. That's another $75 or so.

But, and you can trust me on this, by the time you've had one six months, you'll have got past the pain in your purse and you'll be wondering why you didn't buy one ten years earlier.

Regardless of how Hollywood portrays them, even the best ones won't make your gun even close to silent (which is why I prefer to call them "suppressors"), but there's little enough noise left over that when it reaches your neighbor, it won't be any louder than ...say ...the slamming of a car door. And what sound does travel that far won't resemble what they associate with a gunshot.

Then again, you could get a pretty nice PCP airgun for the same money as a suppressor, tax stamp and muzzle threading, and they're pretty quiet in their own right.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Thanks for the reply, RC - I'm passing this info on to my hubby. :)
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
DakotaLady

Birdbrain...thank you for the information. I know the owner of a gun shop I'm going to check into your suggestion. Too bad there is so much paperwork involved. I see it only getting worse as these horrific events continue to unfold.

Good luck with ridding your yards of S&S everyone.
~Tangula~

BirdBrain

DakotaLady, a dealer with good customer service will supply you with the forms, already filled out, and do the fingerprinting for you, too. All that's left for you is to have your chief law enforcement officer sign off on it, supply passport photos, attach a check for $200, sign it and mail it. The form is tricky and the Feds are really fussy about how they're filled out, so it's best it's filled out by someone who's done it before.

Regardless whether you're approved or not, you don't get the $200 back, but you don't get rejected without good reason (even under the current management).

Only certain special firearms dealers can sell suppressors. They're called "Class III" or "NFA" dealers. "Class III" refers to the tax the dealers pay to the Feds for the privilege of selling NFAs. NFA refers to the National Firearms Act of 1934, which imposed a federal tax on fully-automatic (machine) guns, suppressors and short-barreled rifles and shotguns. This was at the height of Prohibition, and they wanted to control the gangsters' use of Tommyguns and the like but they couldn't muster the support to out and out outlaw them. That also was during the Great Depression, and they figured a $200 tax would put a crimp in most people's desires to own one. Ironically, Congress has never raised the tax.

An NFA by law is a firearm, meaning a suppressor is a firearm, even when there's no gun attached to it. You can't buy NFAs across a state line so you have to buy from someone in your home state. What you get back is an 8 1/2x11" sheet of paper with, I'm not kidding, a stamp on it not unlike a postage stamp. This is why guns are regulated by BATF, the same people who monitor the taxation of liquor and cigarettes, which also require they have a stamp affixed to prove it's been taxed. But your suppressor stamp goes in the safe, not on the silencer, and you keep a photocopy with the suppressor.

Ignore anyone who tells you that possessing an NFA -- suppressor, machinegun, etc -- gives the police the right to search your home at will and without warrant. It's a silly myth that just won't die.