Kansas Landlords...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

how many birds do you have at your colonies?

Just curious.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Zip, nothing, nada, zero, negative. Thanks for asking. :cry:

:lol: Just hanging in there waiting too.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
RB73

None at my place or at the new school colony. I drive by 3-4 other established colony sites when going to and from work each day, and haven't seen a Martin yet.
2000: 5 Pair
2001-20011: Moved. Too many trees. No Martins.
2012: Moved again. Starting over with 1 pair.
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Had 14 this evening, 4 must have came in this morning..ordering crickets tomorrow as I'm sure you all have seen the forecast for the next few days..high of 47 on first day of spring...then upper 30's next 4/5 days after..hope they all remember how to catch crickets, it's been 2 yrs.. :-(
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

I think I saw two high in the sky this morning , but they were way up there and I couldn't tell for sure... but otherwise nothing since I saw one on the 9th.
DornCounty
Trio-Jedi

TonyG wrote:Had 14 this evening, 4 must have came in this morning..ordering crickets tomorrow as I'm sure you all have seen the forecast for the next few days..high of 47 on first day of spring...then upper 30's next 4/5 days after..hope they all remember how to catch crickets, it's been 2 yrs.. :-(
Yes.. almost a worst case forecast for anyone with martins currently. 4-5 days of cloudy cold and rain/snow.
cchild03

I don't have any back at my site in Leavenworth County. I normally don't see birds until around April 1st, but last year--with the early spring and warm temperatures--I had them back by March 19th. I was expecting them to be early again this year because other people seem to have early arrivals. I'm glad mine aren't back with the weather we're expected to get. I'm more than happy to wait a couple of more weeks.

I did see one lone martin when I went into town on Friday to get groceries. It was 80 degrees and sunny that day. She was flying high over the grocery store parking lot.
Candace
Rick Meyer

I haven't seen any .... but I don't have an established site either. I'm looking at least another 3 weeks to even have a chance at any. I'm moving my martin house another 50 feet away from my home. (2 story) Last year any curious bird seemed to be freaked out by something.....(maybe me standing out in the yard gawking at them). :grin: anyway........gotta try something else. I'll let ya know if I see any.
Dawn~KS

As of this morning.....I have added one female for the male I had. I am thankful that two is all I have. The forecast isn't good. I plugged the drain holes in the gourd they are occupying and put in more shavings. I have hand warmers on hand but am more worried about whether or not they will remember the feeding drill. They have been gone all the time so far this year that practicing hasn't happened. I am prepared to do all I can and that is all I can do. Good luck to others seeing their martins through this rough spell.
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Dawn:

I know you and Tony know how and will do all you can to take care of your martins that are already on site. Even down here in Arkansas, we are suppose to go back down into the 30's at night over the next few days.

When I first trained my martins at my old colony to take crickets and eggs, they would take them when flipped, but I had a hard time getting them to take them from the feeder I had attached to the housing. I finally tried using the same presentation every time I fed crickets. After thawing the crickets, I would place them in a red Folgers coffee can; the plastic ones coffee now comes in. I would remove the crickets from the coffee can and flip them to my martins which they readily took. During inclement weather my martins would always fly up to me when they saw me coming out the door with the red coffee container. One time, I tried not using all the crickets that were in the red container. Instead, I put the remainder from the container in the feeding tray on the housing. They immediately went to the feeding tray and started eating the crickets. They associated what was coming out of the red container as food and went to the feeding trays when they saw me empty the left overs into the tray.

Tim
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Might have to give that a try Tim.. Would rather let them eat from my feeding tray than flip in the cold and have them exert their energy flying around ..
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
Dawn~KS

Hey Tim....I have trained my martins in the past to take crickets that I flung and then switched over to eggs. I also was able to get them to come to the feeder platform. I wanted to reinforce that this year before we might have any bad weather. It has been so so feeding since I got them and they really stayed away except to dart in their gourd right before dark. I can hope that these martins have been some that accepted the flung crickets and/or the feeding platform and will know what to do. Would much rather have them take what they need from the tray than expend the energy flying around getting them from the air. I will fling if needed and I know my fingers are gonna be COLD. :) Thanks for sharing how the red coffee can helped you. I will pull out all the stops to try and help these two.

I really feel for those that have several back. Good luck and keep flinging, they do catch on. After a couple days no feeding they are eager to see anything flying through the air.