wing entrapment

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
zoefluf

I was hoping this year would be different but early season fighting seems to increase the odds of wing entrapment at my colony. At least this time, I noticed the struggling bird before it died. The entrapment occurred on the far side of my colony (not visible from my house), which attests to the fact that as landlords we simply must take the time to walk around our colony once a day, at the very least. Luckily I was gardening and happened to pass by and notice the wing protruding from the gourd.

I gently pushed the wing into the Conley II tunnel and then opened the cap. There were two birds inside the gourd and both flew out. In my excitement, I was not thinking properly. I should have checked the trapped bird for injuries and even caged it over night. After all, I have no idea how long it was trapped there. I pray it survived. Which just goes to show that as a landlord we should have a formulated plan ready for each emergency.

Next year I am definitely going to invest in the new Troyer Conley II tunnels that have the wing entrapment guards.

I'm sure you are all aware of the importance of checking your colony daily, but, sometimes we get lax or busy. I am so thankful I was there when the Martins needed me and for sure I will be checking my colony more often. Hope you do too!
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
klcretired

I'm Glad that you were there and watching your colony , you saved a martin today...Thank You
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
John Miller

You probably can make your own guards similar to the Troyer factory ones and save some money. Cut an arch from a piece of 3 inch PVC, about one-inch wide. Start by cutting off a ring of 1 in ch wide, and next cut out about one third of the ring, leaving an arch. Cut further to fit and wedge it in on the inside flat against the SREH on the inside. Would need some glue to hold secure, so best done in off season.

Scott D last year posted several variations of this using flat bar..I'll try to find a link.

http://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewt ... entrapment

John
zoefluf

Thanks John. You are so right, I should have addressed the issue in the off season. There aren't that many posts on entrapment so I've been trying to convince myself it's a fluke but its happened three years in a row. I will be more vigilant about checking the gourds daily. Once the martins start laying, I've never had a problem with the parents or their offspring, so ill just need to get through the next few weeks.

Since I'm not very handy, and my husband won't help (he doesn't love the PMs as I do), I'll have to save up for those new tunnels. :roll:
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
~Ray~Gingerich

Did your entrapment happen in a troyer horizontal gourd? Some of the early horizontals had a rim around the gourd entrance which made it prone to entrapments, the newer ones are now sent out with the rim completely removed.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Hi Jeanne,
I'm glad you were there to notice.. you definitely saved a few birds. My friend had those same gourds. He had a few problems like you had. He replaced all with a mix of Bo9, Bo11, and some updated Troyers. He hasn't had any problems since.

I have the Bo11s and 9s and although I don't have many pairs, I haven't had the problems with wing entrapment.

Take care.
zoefluf

Ray,
I modified the rim by grinding it smooth. I think the problem is the extra long tunnel that is made even longer by the Conley II tunnel entrance. They fight inside that tunnel and get turned around sideways. I am hoping that if I buy the new Conley tunnels next year, this won't happen. Otherwise, I will have to try a different gourd. It hasn't happened with my Troyer vertical gourds. But it did happen in my Coates house and that has round hole entrances. I suppose it can happen in any gourd so we should all be on guard and not get complacent.

I think I'll start a new link for reporting wing entrapment and gourds and entrances that it happened in.
Jeanne
Dennis - AL

Me and my wife were watching the birds come in tonight. Colony size increased from 13 birds on Saturday and 23 tonight. Two birds were trying to get in the same gourd and I noticed the second bird just sat waiting to get in while the first bird was struggling.

Got my ladder and gently pushed him in. Once he was inside I took off the access port and he flew out. This is only the second (other in 2011) wing entrapment I have ever witnessed and was able to deliver both birds.

With new birds arriving there is some element of chaos as they fight to take gourds that have already been claimed. As the birds struggle for possession of the gourd, the possibility of wing entrapment increases.
Persistence is not necessarily the key to success, but can be likened to the proverbial sand that brings forth a precious pearl.

PMCA Member

I'm so glad you were there to assist the trapped bird. That's what being a landlord is all about! Being watchful is the key.
Jeanne