Elementary School PM Project

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
RB73

Elementary School PM Project

Postby RB73 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Hello,

I wanted to let this forum know of a Purple Martin project in the works for this spring. Hillcrest Elementary School in Lawrence, KS is starting a Purple Martin Colony Project this spring. With the help of the BOGO grant from the PMCA, 4th grade students will be learning about Martins and helping to establish a colony on school grounds. Classroom learning will be incorporated into parts of the science curriculum, and field learning will take place as kids work to attract birds and manage the colony site. If we are successful in attracting Martins the kids will be filling out Project Martinwatch forms to send in at the end of the season.

We have the Lonestar Alamo with 4 Troyer gourds underneath (2 vertical and 2 horizontal). I put the housing up this past weekend and closed all the doors so hopefully the sparrows and starlings will lose some interest by the time the Martins arrive. We are expecting up to 10" of snow this Thursday, so hopefully the PM's wait till closer to their normal arrival in mid-March.

Wish us luck!

RB
2000: 5 Pair
2001-20011: Moved. Too many trees. No Martins.
2012: Moved again. Starting over with 1 pair.

DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

Postby DornCounty » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Welcome to the board!

Sounds like a great project. Being how your house is in Lawrence and in Kansas I just don't see how you could not get some martins.

No need to trap Jayhawks, they are friendly to the martin.

IT would be great if you could post some photos of your site on here.

Also are you planning on playing the dawnsong? You could always play the "Rock Chalk" chant, I bet you would at least get some people attracted to the site. lol.

Kansas for the win!
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities

RB73

Postby RB73 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about it, but yes Jayhawks are certainly always welcome at our housing. Maybe we'll alternate between the Rock Chalk chant and dawnsong :P.

Seriously though, I think we have everything we need to get started. Bob at the PMCA was great to award us the BOGO grant and then make sure our order list included all the extra things that we would need- including dawnsong.

I'll try to get some pictures posted of the housing.

RB

Matt F.

Postby Matt F. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 am

Great work RB!
Those students are going to love working with Martins!

DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Postby DebA » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 am

That is so great! 4th grade is a great age and those kids will love it. Plus continued development of empathy for all animals. Good luck.
Go Kansas!
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Hooray! Hooray!! May many, many martins fill them houses up! I have that same house and if you add nest trays, it will be much easier to slide out a nest tray and bring down to those young eyes to hopefully spark a life long passion.
Love those martin houses in public places!
Fantastic work. Thanks!!!(from the martins...)
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA

RB73

Postby RB73 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 pm

We do have the nest trays. They are in the house turned around backwards right now to discourage sparrows. Also have the pine straw for the kids to put in the trays/gourds when it's time to open up the house.
Have dawnsong and decoys to put up and will probably smear a little mud around the entrances. I have heard of using mirrors, but don't have any of those. What are opinions on mirrors for attracting Martins?

Btw, Larry I enjoyed watching your videos, very informative.

RB

arthurnottheking

Re:

Postby arthurnottheking » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:52 am

We do have the nest trays. They are in the house turned around backwards right now to discourage sparrows. Also have the pine straw for the kids to put in the trays/gourds when it's time to open up the house.
Have dawnsong and decoys to put up and will probably smear a little mud around the entrances. I have heard of using mirrors, but don't have any of those. What are opinions on mirrors for attracting Martins?

RB
Hi RB,

Here's one of the topics featuring experiences with mirrors: https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2685

arthurnottheking

Re: Re:

Postby arthurnottheking » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:53 am

https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... hp?t=24420 https://domyhomeworkonline.net/patton-elementary-school-projecy-reviews

RB
Hi RB,

Here's one of the topics featuring experiences with mirrors: https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2685
Also: a good article How to Attract Purple Martins by Melissa Mayntz.The latest project I enjoyed was at Patton Elementary School - kids were so happy too.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Re: Elementary School PM Project

Postby Dave Reynolds » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:59 am

.... RB.... Sounds like a wonderful project for you and the kids... Perfect age to get them interested in Martins.. :) :)
.... Wishing you Great Success in 2020 :wink: :wink:

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — First pair, 5 Eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — They are on the way. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — They are on the way. :wink:

PMCA Member

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”