"Landlord" Question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

8) I am the only one in my family.
PMCA MEMBER
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

I'm the first in my family to even put up nest boxes for any type of bird. I was exposed about 8 years ago to my aunt's colony here in Missouri. After spending a weekend with her, I was hooked.

I now have gotten my sister hooked too. 8)

I think, even if people were exposed, a lot still don't put up housing until they reach middle-age, due to several factors: cost, family stability (not moving around so much chasing a career anymore), settling down, etc.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I am the first in my family also. Well, I took over from my husband who threw up an old abandoned on the ground house he found while remoldeling a friends' rental property.

No one in my family hosted birds. As a kid I always loved the summer barn swallows that came to our farm. At times we would travel to visit family and I saw houses or gourds as we drove through towns.

When Mark put up that old Trio on a fixed pole we had sparrows and one martin pair that raised two fledglings. I got hooked when I saw the babies peeking out the entrance. I turned to the internet to research martins and found this site.

Maybe it is my approach to middle age but I noticed when my daughters grew up and moved out I became this mother earth figure with love for critters. My girls don't seem too interested yet, but I have two grandsons ages 4 and 5 that I have introduced to nest checks and my hopes are with them for the future.

But now, I am the purple nut, trying to do everything I can and Mark enjoys their music too. I've learned that he is my best sparrow defense. He has learned I get pretty excited when he picks 'em off shot after shot. Nothing like that to jazz up a 23 year marriage! :wink:

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
daveh

I'm the only one in my immediate family that houses martins. I don't believe there are any relatives doing it also.

I like building things out of wood. I have a shop in the basement. Been making bird houses for years including martin houses. That's how I got into this hobby. I really didn't know much about martins but found PMCA and the forum. I'm still learning to this day.

I'm trying to get my college age daughters involved. They do help dad when mom can't on nest checking days if they're not to busy but they have boyfriends and school and jobs. It's a tough sell.

dave
PMCA member
AvianStewardess

I'm the only one in my family to house the birds. I remember my maternal grandparents having what I know today to be a purple martin house but no memories of it being managed, or talked about. I remember my maternal grandmother being a bird watcher, so perhaps they did...

Looking forward to my second year with them! From the reports looks like I should get everything put up in about two weeks. Going to do a last minute set-up because there have been HUGE flocks of starlings going through the area; don't want them to find any reason to stop!
~Michelle
PMCA Member
Heritage Farm Quad Pod Systems
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

My grandmother/grandfather had a house up in the early 80's. That's when I first wanted one. Never had the place to put one up until I moved to the country 2 years ago. I'm 36 now.

My folks put up a house, but my dad is happy if any birds are in it. So I have not been able to talk him into keeping the starlings and sparrows out of it. He is about 400 yards away.. so I am slowly picking them off, so eventually martins may take it over. lol.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
Ed Pace

I also was the first in my family but always had a pull towards nature. When I was 9 or 10 my best friends oldest brother bought a little cabin on Chautauqua lake .His dad would take us there on weekends quite often. I remember being fascinated by those birds at that time. The other kids didn't seem to be that interested ,as there were so many different things to do around the lake. As I think of it now, out of all my friends and acquaintances of that time, I am the only one who got into martins. :eek:

Gee Keith, thanks for the post, it brought back many good old memories.
Ed.
Keith

This might have done it for me. One rainy day on a small farm where I was born in the southern Missouri Ozarks on the secluded Gladetop trail, my Dad said "Son, let's build a birdhouse for Purple Martins." Looking back I can hardly believe how crude and simple this house was. This was in the 50s and I was in the second or third grade and I do remember Martins using this house. All dad used was a long oak board, handsaw, wood chisel, and hammer and nails. My sketch too is crude and not at all in proportion. I remember going to the woods with him to cut two long poles to put the house on and then tied it to a board fence. Note the square holes and it was never painted. Fond memories.
Keith
Connie
Martin Colony History: Had my site up to 22 gourds of which most (+/-3) stayed occupied.
Downsized to 17 gourds due to back surgeries. Had 14 families in 2017 but did not do nest checks due to health. Feeling better in 2018 and hoping for a good year.

I am second generation I think, but never asked my dad how he got started. Will have to do that. I am like Carly in Florida though; I could beat myself in the head for not starting sooner. I can't believe I waited this long. I have been feeding and watching birds for many many years. My 5 year old grandson can name numerous song birds and knows them by ear too so I am hoping he will follow suit. I got my sister to put up her first gourd rack just this year. I talk Martins to anyone that will listen and encourage them all to join PMCA. :)
I love this forum! I drive my husband crazy talking PM's. He is wonderful about helping me but I know he gets tired of me bending his ear all year long. Thank goodness for all of you talker/listeners here! :grin:
Connie
Matt F.

Keith wrote:This might have done it for me. One rainy day on a small farm where I was born in the southern Missouri Ozarks on the secluded Gladetop trail, my Dad said "Son, let's build a birdhouse for Purple Martins." Looking back I can hardly believe how crude and simple this house was. This was in the 50s and I was in the second or third grade and I do remember Martins using this house. All dad used was a long oak board, handsaw, wood chisel, and hammer and nails. My sketch too is crude and not at all in proportion. I remember going to the woods with him to cut two long poles to put the house on and then tied it to a board fence. Note the square holes and it was never painted. Fond memories.
Keith
Keith,
I remembered seeing an older black and white photo of a Martin house, similar to the one in the drawing you posted.
I found the site, and the photo.
It's from the Florida Division of Library & Information Services site:
http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/87011
billb

I'm 2nd generation. Our next door neighbor had an old 4 apartment house with 2 pairs of martins along with sparrows that intrigued my dad and me. Shortly after moving there, mMy dad and some friends got together and built large plywood PM apartment houses from the same design and each erected one at their house. My dad and I were mezmerized watching them daily - my sisters and mom could have cared less.

This is my 4th consecutive year after a 10 year break.
TS Wilson

I'm restoring a skipped generation here. My father never hosted martins but his father did. I remember as a kid watching them on Sunday afternoons right off his back porch. One day my brother and I took his water hose and were in the process of spraying them good when he fortunately stopped us. That was about the maddest I ever remembered him being. It didn't make sense to me then, but it's all too clear today!!!
Terry
klcretired

I am the first in My Family to ever host Martins and be a Martin Land Lord.
I got interested in 1972 in Shreveport , Louisiana when I saw Martins Flying over my Neighborhood
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
ROBINMOULIERE

The sellers of our house (2006) had a small martin colony. At the house closing they pleaded with us to continue to care for the birds. I took her up on that. Our colony has doubled. We are animal lovers and got hooked real quick..No one else in our extended family sees the same fascination....I am thinking of blue bird boxes next. My neighbors have a pair they host each season...Animals are great......
Robin's Nest for purple martins in memory of Mr. Bands. (Mr. Bands came 2010 from New Jersey as a 2 year old. 2011, he CAME BACK TO US, but found dead inside a cavity at start of 2011 season.) 2010- 53 fledged, 2011- 75 fledged, 2012- 109 fledged. Using 2 28 Trendsetter units.
Keith

One more observation from my original post. I can see that approx. 70% of the ones that responded are first time landlords in their family and this is just the opposite of what I predicted. Would like to think each one for the response to something that I was just curious about. I do agree with you KathyF in thinking that the younger families sometimes have too many things to be concerned about in their life to put much time in this hobbie, and we can't blame them I guess for that. To care for the Purple Martin does take some extra effort. I do know the information provided by various landlords on this forum and the PMCA can certainly help us avoid many setbacks in caring for this wonderful bird, and telling someone about this forum may just be the thing to get some interested. Hope everyone has a great Martin year.
Keith