Larger cable for Trios?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
daveh

Larger cable for Trios?

Postby daveh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Matt, you're the Trio fanatic so instead of the 1/16 inch cable that comes with the houses, can something larger be used. like 3/32 or 1/8? Have you done that? Has anybody done that?

dave
PMCA member

DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

Postby DornCounty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:37 pm

you may call him Trio Jedi. :lol:
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities

Matt F.

Postby Matt F. » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:46 pm

you may call him Trio Jedi. :lol:
Too funny..... :lol:

There are a LOT of folks here that know more about Trios than I.
I'm probably just the most blabby.

Dave,
I have only used the stock 1/16" cable.
It seems though that the pulley at the top of the pole, and the cable tube that runs through the house, would easily accomodate a larger cable.
The only area that may have problems, is the Trio winch drum.
It is quite small, and the drum face is not very tall.
I'd be afraid the drum would fill up too quickly, with a larger diameter cable.

daveh

Postby daveh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Good point Trio Jedi, about drum filling up. I broke a cable a couple years ago and smashed up my castle. Don't try and stop it from crashing with the arm and shoulder, it doesn't work. I just thought a larger cable would be better. It would make me feel better. 1/16 inch is really small compared to cables on my other houses. I think I'm on the second year for the cables on the castle and minicastle. I've noticed some frazzles here and there on the cables. How often do you change your cable?

dave
PMCA member

Matt F.

Postby Matt F. » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 pm

How often do you change your cable?
Great question.
This is probably overkill, but on the Trios without a winch, that use the polyester rope, I try to replace it after two seasons, but definitely no more than three seasons before replacing.
As for the Trio stainless cable - replace after five seasons.
Again, probably overkill - especially for the steel cable.
That said, I keep a close eye on them.
There are definitely areas that could potentially cause some premature wear.
If the cable tube seams in the houses are not correctly oriented towards the center of the house, the cable/rope can rub against the rough edge of the seam on the end of the tube, possibly causing some premature wear.
Also, when lowering/raising using the Trio winch, when the cable reaches a point where it's wound around the outermost part of the drum, I use my thumb try to make sure the cable does not rub against head of the screw that holds the wing nut on.
It's probably not a big deal if it does, just another potential area for premature wear.
Last edited by Matt F. on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.Stephens

Postby M.Stephens » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 pm

I've noticed some frazzles here and there on the cables. How often do you change your cable?

dave
Daveh, if you notice frazzles that's a pretty good sign to replace the cable IMO.
Malcolm
2015 (110 nesting pair)
2014 (92 nesting pair)
2013 (75 nesting pair)
2012 (35 nesting pair)
2011 (20 pair)

Dale D

Postby Dale D » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:35 am

When it comes to cables I think it is better to be safe than sorry. My system consist of a T-10 wood house and 6 gourds beneath. I use 3/16" cables with a 3960 lb load capacity connected to a brake winch. Overkill you bet, but I don't even want to think of those bad boys dropping form 14 feet especially with me under them.

daveh

Postby daveh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Dale, you are right. I agree but what Matt said about filling up the winch drum might be correct. These little Trio winches are quite small. You put larger diameter cable in it and you might not have enough to raise and lower the house properly. Might get by with 3/32 inch and keep it all in the drum, I dunno.

dave
PMCA member

Dale D

Postby Dale D » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Since you say it is loaded with a 1/16",and not sure if it would hold 3/16", why not change to a larger brake winch that will hold the heavier cable?

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”