Quad Pod owners ....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Mary Wilson-SW Ont

Our Quad Pod has been up for about 5 years at a local golf course. Today when nest checking I found a female martin, dead, hanging by her leg which was caught in the narrow space that runs vertically on each side of the porch where it adjoins the pod. I had difficulty getting her out - her leg was quite jammed. I have never seen this before on our system, and have never seen it reported by anyone else, so I guess it is one of those "flukey" things that can happen. But little spaces like this can be a potential trap - like the little gap in the corners of the bed and breakfast trays - years ago we saw a martin hanging upside down with its leg caught in that gap - fortunately for that martin, we saw it from our kitchen window and freed it before any damage was done.

We fixed the B+B by simply pinching the tray sides together to close the gap. I will probably try to close the quad pod spaces with caulking.

There seems to be no end to the potential dangers that face our birds ....
www.ontariopurplemartins.ca ..... the website of the Ontario Purple Martin Association, in SW Ontario, Can
AvianStewardess

Thank you passing on the warning! We added that system this year. I'm very new so appreciate it.
~Michelle
PMCA Member
Heritage Farm Quad Pod Systems
wbmiller3

Thanks for the heads-up. I will look at mine and see what can be done.