nest "help"

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Waydog

So my little buddies' second nest, in one of the gourds, has produced one egg today! Yessss!! But i noticed on my check this afternoon, that the egg was laid on the bare floor of the BO 11. So I added a bit of pinestraw and placed the egg on top of it. I basically covered the floor for mom. What effect, if any, will she perceive of this addition to her home? I hope they don't abandon because of it, but I figured they needed to keep the kids off the bare floor! But hey, what do I know, Im not a bird, So what do you think? All should be good right? (can you tell thats what I want to hear? Ha!). Ive read where the sy's nests arent the best construction as they are classified as the teenager group, and have to go thru the learning process......??
2012 -first year landlord.... 2 pair, 9 fledged.... 2013- 5 pair 20 fledged..
2014- 8 pair 32 fledged
dhjohnson
Martin Colony History: 5th year hostess. Currently 58 confirmed breeding pair. 218 Fledged, 35 older nestlings, 2 new nests with 8 nestlings. 100% occupancy

Waydog,
I did the same thing with my first pairs nest this year. Don't think they noticed anything out of the ordinary. I hope those 4 eggs will be hatching by next weekend. My first year too.
Good Luck,
Debbie
Debbie Johnson
Clayton/NC (Archer Lodge)
2012 New Site 6 pair, 21 Fledged
2013 24 pair, 102 eggs, 94 hatched, 89 Fledged. What a great year!
2014 37 pair, 211 eggs, 193 Hatched, 178 Fledged, 1 nest of 5 young left! Late start but picked up speed quickly!
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

I don't know why they sometimes lay eggs in a bare spot in our gourds. I provide pine needles in the gourds for them, but they make a nest and lay the eggs on the bare plastic...I just let them do what they want, I am sure that they will figure out all the right things. Every pair is different, that all have their own characteristics.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

I think you did good, Waydog. I've added nesting material many times to an inadequate nest. I believe the parents will have no problem with your addition to their nest.
Sincerely,
Laverne
Waydog

Good! I hope so! Next year, I will pre-nest. Debbie- Im right behind you I think. My first should be hatching about the 20th.
Thanks again for your replies!
2012 -first year landlord.... 2 pair, 9 fledged.... 2013- 5 pair 20 fledged..
2014- 8 pair 32 fledged
pmcharter1

waydog,
they should adapt fine. you did the right thing. ive inspected nests late in the yr, and if i suspect mites in their,( on my birds) i remove the nests, clean the room , and ad pine needles, corn shucks, rebuild it so the nest is at the back, , and they seem to adapt fine., i should have said , i do this twice, i make two nests, one in a small bucket. , and one for the new room. when i clean out the room, i place them in the bucket nest , til i can rebuild the one in the main house. after the house is rebuilt, i move them over, i wear clear rubber gloves when doing so. and they seem to adapt fine, but idont waste no doing so. things are ready to go before the switch