Help! Texas Wildlife Center Needs Help

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Sparky

I received a call and email this afternoon from the Director at TWRC. The TWRC in Houston has 37 orphaned babies. (I don't know the ages) But if you can help place them contact Rosalyn (Director) at the TWRC 713-468-8972 http://twrc-houston.org/ . I have helped them in the past with orphan placement at my colony (all fledged), but this number is huge and will take several colonies to place them all. I'm currently out of the country on business and would like to be there to see what I could do.

So, Houston area landlords, check your inventory and see what might be done to place these little birds.
Thanks for your help!
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Well, I can't do a thing - but *bump* the thread. :-(
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

I posted the notice on PMCA's facebook page too - having the nestlings go into foster care is a better option than rehab care, I hope they find foster homes for as many as possible. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Prognesubis/
Last edited by Louise Chambers on Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sparky

Thanks Louise for getting the news out. Foster care really works, just place the same age nestlings in a nest with low numbers and the parents adapt. I've watched this on my nestcams. It's like, Oh, I didn't know I have an extra. Time to go grocery shopping. :lol:
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

It will be easier this year than last, when food was so scarce. I hope they can foster them all. Thanks for putting the notice up, Sparky.
klcretired

Sparky

Wish I lived closer , I would Gladly take them in a Heartbeat
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com

I was contacted yesterday by the rehabber who has the 37 nestlings. I told her I would be willing to help get the nestlings to new homes. Hopefully the homes will be in the general area of Houston, but I can drive a distance if needed. Lee McDonald
JHeap

I live in Waller which is fast becoming an extension of Houston out west. I sent an email to the rehab center. We have several nests with babies already but none that are more than a week old. If we can help, we certainly would be willing. I am leaving town on Wednesday though for a few days.. don't know whether that would matter
2012 - 19 pair; 109 Hatched; 99 fledged
2011 - 19 pair; 55 fledged
martinteach

Greetings again everyone!!

It seems like the story of our baby birds keeps spreading onto different threads, so here is why we need your help. I am the landlord of the Purple Martin community started by my son as an Eagle Scout project.

Our school, Smith Elementary, has a big Purple Martin colony and the T-14 fell from a broken cable this week. All of the babies are doing well.

We are going to renest some of the baby birds in the establised nests already at our school, but we won't be able to renest all of them.

I should be able to drive to anyones home within a couple of hours next week with my husband, and I also signed up to help feed our birds at the rehab (I've helped before). Any landlords that can help will be extremely appreciated, and just think how this will show how communities help each other in times of need.

Mrs. Esswein
Smith Elementary

Can you help by taking 3 or 4 nestlings? I am willing to drive from rehab to you. Thanks in advance, Lee McDonald
martinteach

Mr. McDonald,

Yes, this will be no problem. I will e-mail you with the details.

Mrs. Esswein
martinteach

Mr. McDonald,

Did you get my private message because I can't get it out of the Outbox into the Sent box?

If not, could you please send me a private message and I will try to respond to your message and see if that works.

Daryle
Sparky

Bump, Roslyn (Center Director) emailed me yesterday. She needs to place these orphans quickly. She knows Martins (I taught her years back :lol: ). They belong in a colony. Multiple colonies as needed. She said they are just popping feathers. I would guess about 2 weeks old, not seeing them.
martinteach

Thank you Sparky for placing the babies. I picked up 10 of the older birds on Thursday. They were sure plump and happy! I placed them in the appropriate age nests and stayed until about 7:30 p.m. to make sure that the adults were feeding them. The next morning I sat outside and adults continued to bring in food to their rooms.

In the middle of all of this I had to deal with the red ants that popped up in the garden.

Thanks again!

Daryle Esswein