IOWA

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
R Onnen

Does anyone know of a Purple Martin "Get Together" in IOWA? If not, I think we should think about it. Maybe a picnic, and bring pictures and learn. Any ideas?
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

From a fellow Iowan I completely agree. Our state needs to get organized. Our numbers are down as a whole throughout the state. Organizing for any type of get together sounds easier, but in practice it may be a large under taking. Lots to consider; like who, what, when, where and costs. I think it would be great if something could be arranged.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
R Onnen

Yes, Dave, and I think Nevada would be an excellent, central, location. We could try a pot luck, or something, bring your meat dish, and a side.I hope we can get more input. Thanks
~Ray~Gingerich

Excellent idea! all us martin folk/ wana bees need to stick together. :) Wish Delaware and eastern shore of Maryland would have something, some of you inlanders could come too and visit our beaches 8)
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
pmcharter1

replying, to the get together, great idea. A good central spot may be big creek state park, they have shelters available, with grills, with no cost, , next to the triple boatramp, . as you know, there are more people in iowa that have martins, that dont post, some proably have houses and dont know what they are, i can get 10 there from my city block!even starting local chapters where you can meet once a month, go over things, see how nestings going, ideas, ect. , things you do different to help maintain, or attract.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

There is a spring event in Iowa every year, I think in March. But a summer meeting would be a great idea - get more folks interested and helping each other out with information. If you meet at a state park, you might see if the state wildlife agency could help in any way with the event. PMCA will supply information booklets to hand out, no charge - just let us know how many.
R Onnen

Yes, thats what we need to do, I know here in Grundy Center (pop 2500)
theres 8 Landlords, and only 2 of us are members, My mentor, Jim and myself. So we could probably help PMCA Too
R Onnen

Hey Ray, that would be GREAT!!!!And PM Big Creek would be AWESOME!! Now how can I help to go forward. Let me know and THANKS everyone
pmcharter1

let me get with the park rangers at Big Creek, at the end of the week, and see what i can do, ( OR WHAT THEY CAN DO FOR US), being they are county im not sure, they are already struggling a budget for mowing, but, maybe talking to the Dnr, wouldnt hurt.I dont think they will give cash, unless we push the envelope at the capitital, but, my cousin just retired from the dnr, as his dad both wardens, maybe they can give some insight. The most important thing is, we secure a sight, make a potluck out of it, and share information, friendships, and we all learn, maybe have a open form after everyones ate, and have people speak on what works for them , thoughts?
PM charter 1
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Getting good PR in advance of the event will be helpful - we can post a notice here and on PMCA's facebook page. The local newspaper would probably include information too.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

It appears that we are starting to organize and making good steps. If a place is decided upon it would be good to send a private message to every member from Iowa on purplemartin.org.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Unfortunately, not everyone includes their location in a consistent format, but you could reach many with private messages, and we can do event post and other notifications here.
R Onnen

I was thinking the "Scout" report would be a place to start, these people obviously care enough to post and from people all across the state putting an article in a paper, or word of mouth 8)
Wendell Hansen-IA

Im all for it, as long as nesting seson is over with.
PM Fanatic and proud Landlord. My goal is 100 pairs and 100 landlords.
Dave Duit

I agree Wendel; I think post season is the best time. It gets too busy during the season for anyone to leave their colony.
Dave Duit

PMcharter1 was looking into Big Creek Park with a ranger and the DNR. As soon as we get an update we can start making plans for a definite date. I do think a pot luck is an excellent idea. I also think that Louise had a super suggestion in the free booklet fro PMCA that could be handed out. Once a date and time are set, we could all contact as many PM landlords as possible on this website as well as those not on PMCA website. An exchange of ideas and pics sounds fun. My personal feeling is to keep it fairly simple the first year and future expansions could be discussed at the first get together. I don't want to be the team leader here or steal the thunder; just voicing my excitement about the possibilities.
lynnh

Sounds good to me.
pmcharter1

dave,
not stealing any thunder here. i agree, start small, work up, , i never knew you were working on somthing. , i think theres more intrested than we know. a few landowners are concerned about a date due to nesting, and wanted a later date , just let me know, any thing to help, if i can, i will. , this is a neat idea, to share information, meet new friends, and secure goals on future meetings. I think Big creek is a good nutreal site, just talking to a few people here , they are in favor of it as they want to learn. or, we can have it at the community room in madrid. i can ck on the cost, but i know the city administrator, maybe he can cut us a deal on a non profeit group.anything i can do , keep me posted.my neighbor owns a print shop, and may be willing to print banners if i ask, flyers, ect.
sincerely,
pm charter 1
Dave Duit

I lean toward Big Creek maybe in late August or early September. If we could secure a place for free at big creek it really puts a smile on peoples face. Is there a person in particular that needs to be contacted at Big Creek?
I'd love to hear everyones feelings as to having it at Big Creek.
R Onnen

Big Creek sounds good, but I understand gas prices may keep people away, although its going down :grin: Maybe we can discuss "floating" it around at the first get together.
Also, Dave, is there any way a few of us from GC could come over and meet you and see your set-up? You probably have as many Martins as Grundy does. And theres 7 or 8 of us! If not, thats fine. We can try else where. Thanks! Rod