ASY martins still migrating

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

ASY martins are really showing up today. I can see about 18 that cannot find and empty gourd, they must be migrants, as things were normal this AM, hope that they come your way. I think that they will leave at dark.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Hope so Emil..first one arrived on the 13th..i'm up tp 12 right now. I got 90 cavities to fll.. :grin:
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Emil,

We had a bunch of new ASY birds just before dark too - they are still coming, folks :wink:
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

great news guys... keep the updates coming!!
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
ChrisM

I also thank you all for the updates. Where would we be without you all??
Vern1

Yep, it was a crazy day in Central Texas too!
I was out mowing and working outside most of the day and observed the same thing.

There are way more dark shiny ASY males than there are cavities available!
Lots of fighting going on between the new arrivals and the birds that have been here since Mid February.
They are also playing havoc with the nest building that is starting with the early arrivals.

My meager colony looks like it will be at full capacity this year!
Cheers,
Joe
2015 - 40 cavities - 37 pair - fledged 172
2016 - 40 cavities - 38 pair - fledged 192
Hosting Purple Martins since 1976...Managing since 2006.
NancyinEnidOK

Landlords to the south, thanks so much for these continuing reports! It is so good to know that more are on the way -- hoping for some purple friends to come along soon! :wink:
Nancy

PMCA MEMBER
Sparky

Emil, send them over to Katy. I'm low in occupancy thi season. Very strange indeed!
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)

This past Monday, the first martin showed up. On Wednesday I had 3 martins show up but also saw bluebirds nesting in the martin house even though we have several bluebird houses mounted on our property. Martins didn't stay- will they come back and co-habitate with the bluebirds?
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Tankersm, no, the bluebirds in your martin housing will run off the martins. You need to close the martin housing for a few days, and also, provide a BB house near the martin housing for the bluebirds to move. Once they move, then you can open the martin housing. There is a thread about the correct way to do this transfer, so maybe someone else will provide that link

Sparky, that is strange that you don't have many martins. I am thinking that something is scaring them away, or maybe last year, something happened to some of them, maybe a predator got into them. I watched ours last night, I know two gourds are still empty, but there were about 8 or 10 martins that were desperately trying to find an empty one, maybe some will come your way, we are nearly full here, and so far I have not seen a SY that I could identify.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps