Wasp nests in trio attic

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
~Ray~Gingerich

I modified an old trio 12 compartment house, changed it over to double nesting chambers.While doing this I removed the roof and found the attic loaded with large wasp nests. I cleaned it up, added insulation to the attic floor and spayed several coats of silicone sealer on the inside parts of the roof panel. I never used silicone sealer before so will see what happens. The house looks nice, gave it a fresh coat of paint and placed it on my Hybrid MP pole.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Delux Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 7 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I have a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also have an rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, I have a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Delux Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

That is interesting Ray. I have never found wasps in any of my aluminum housing but I have in my gourds here in FL.

I coated the entire inside of the gourds with PAM and then wiped the surfaces so the PAM was just a thin coating. SO FAR I have not seen any return of the wasps.

Carl
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

i guy could always put screen up on the holes so the air relief is still there for cooling.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
Mary Wilson-SW Ont

We acquired 6 Trio Grandpa houses a few years ago from an old fellow who tried so hard to get martins but never did. He had these up on 2 separate poles, 3 houses on each, at about 16' in the air. He had seen wasps flying around, but didn't think too much of it until they took the structures down (by sawing them off at ground level); then he sprayed them heavily after finding they were absolutely full of wasp nests in the attics. The spray didn't kill all of them - a fun drive home, that was. We actually submerged all the houses in our swimming pool (it was end of season anyway....) to get rid of all the remaining wasps. These wasps would have kept any investigating martins away; we're sure that's why he never got any birds to stay.

It is a good idea, as the previous post mentioned, to screen off the air vents - very easy to do with small pieces of screening and some adhesive. (This is another innovation, or at least recommendation, that Trio manufacturers should make in their product now.) Wasps love these attic spaces. So, whether buying new, or modifying old, Trio houses, don't miss this step ... it could make a big difference.
www.ontariopurplemartins.ca ..... the website of the Ontario Purple Martin Association, in SW Ontario, Can
jr 2
Location: ohio,proctorville(just across ohio river from huntington,west virginia)

i have 3 trio houses and i have found wasp nest in them too;; what kind of adhesive do you use too put the screen on??/jr2
PMCA member; s 2011 2 pair fledged 3; 2012 3 asy pair,4 sy pair,2013 8 asy pair,6 sy pair;2014 19 asy pair,2 sy pair
~Ray~Gingerich

I didn't even think about using screen, that would stop the wasps as there is no other way in. Will try to insert a screen plug since I used a few pop rivets to hold the roof.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair
Mary Wilson-SW Ont

What I used to glue the screen in place was an outside caulking called Mono Ultra, for outdoor applications - windows, doors, etc. Now it is probably 3 or 4 years since I did it, and I haven't made a point of looking to see if it is all still in place, but I haven't seen any wasps at all either. This next week when I am setting stuff up I'll check whether any of the screens have come loose.

Another thing I did at the time that I had the roof off to screen off the vent holes, was to drill holes through the "attic floor" - I think I did a couple of holes over each of the compartments. I figured this gave some venting to the top floor of these houses. (We do get some very hot humid weather here, and those metal houses don't really have vents for the inside compartments at all, other than a couple holes in the door.)

I glued screen over those holes also.
www.ontariopurplemartins.ca ..... the website of the Ontario Purple Martin Association, in SW Ontario, Can