Starling question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ron20m

I have some starlings that are not nesting and I have not actually seen them enter a troyer but last year they did. They love to sit on perch above houses and "flex". Does that deter martins early in the year?
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 66 Pairs in 2017
PM Mentor

Love that starling flexing stage - perfect pose for lead poisoning! :grin:

Ron, I checked and didn't notice anything on your profile indicating what kind of housing and entrances you have (SREH??). Your martins should do just fine when they arrive IF you have SREH...and also, if you do your part and feed lead to any starling brazen enuf to sit on your housing and strut. Best to you!

Edited: Sorry, I meant to mention that I had a starling breach this year of my older Troyer Conley II tunnel while I was at work (the new Troyer Conley IIs come with Wing Entrapment Guard that "might" prevent future starling breaches). That starling ceased to exist the following weekend. Today was the first day in 3 weeks that I didn't see a single starling land on my housing.
Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Robinson on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
ron20m

Jeff I live in town and have starlings by the jillions. I cannot even begin to reduce the starling pressure. I could not even THINK about using a round entrance. I used to have two trap boxes but my wife would go around and let them out. I have 48 Bo 11's with their latest sreh's and 24 Troyers with their latest. I am very excited to have the traps with the wire and slide down metal piece for both.
Last year I had 4 starling nests in Troyers(despite SREH's) and used a rat trap to eliminate those and did not have a starling in a Bo. Had sparrows in both.
Does anyone know if the wire/drop down metal plate trap works for sparrows or are they too small? I guess I'll find out pretty soon.
Tim Stover

they make that many shells gotta convince wife how bad these rats are i could not stand just knowing they are out there i would like to know the number of starlins i have taken out in the last three years i hunt them through the winter when they are in big flocks now the nest box traps catch the few that comes in if i dont get to shoot them you gotta put the fear god into them wishing you the best of luck
Tim
2009 2pair 2010 24pair 2011 106 pair
2012 124 pair
2013 145
2014 170 pair
+
NancyinEnidOK

Hi, Ron! It sounds like you're referring to the Troyer tunnel trap -- if so, for what it's worth, I am using one of those now and got a pair of HOSP the other morning. Today there were more HOSP looking in but none entered far enough to spring it. So far, mine has been worth it. Good luck with yours!
Nancy

PMCA MEMBER
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 66 Pairs in 2017
PM Mentor

Sorry Ron, I understand your situation now, and sure I wish I had the perfect answer for you. You're in a tough predicament, not being able to use the repeating traps.

Regarding your concerns over how the martins will react to starling mating antics, here's a situation that I was confronted with. In 2010, I had my first starling breach of a Conley II, and it would sit and do it's mating dance in the middle of the martins, and they eventually paid it no attention at all after their failed attempts to run him off resulted in his continuing to come and just sit in between them. I shot him right out from between em, and I think I heard a chuckle as the martins sat there and watched him drop from the top of the house.

I'll leave the trapping question to others. Best of luck on eliminating the sparrow pests.

Jeff
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
Sandy - NC

Put a lock on your present traps and the wife can't let them loose. I did that when I found that one of my brother's employees were letting some of mine loose. She stopped.
Don't ever, ever give up. It will happen.

sbunn1@suddenlink.net
Tim Stover

i have learned a lot about starlins lately all are not the same on one of the nest box traps on the same pole i put a bluebird box and watched bluebirds took over they new what the trap was cause i caught ever biuebird here and released them anyway thought this was a mistake starlin come in bluebird run them off i was gonna move the trapped to another location till i witnessed a pair of aggressive starlins both of these was males blubirds could not run these bad boyz off but they could not enter the bluebird house guess where they went exactly trap these are the ones that i am concerned with the aggressors :evil: :twisted: picture of set up
2009 2pair 2010 24pair 2011 106 pair
2012 124 pair
2013 145
2014 170 pair
+

I would shoot them immediately.

My experience is that their mere presence runs everything else off.
Don Strickland

I agree. Shoot them!!!
They are up to "no good."
Don