Steve Kroenke Colony Hit With Tornado

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
LarryMelcher/KY

Bad, bad news. Glad to hear Bob and Steve are alright. Yes, knowing Steve, he is probably caring for his martins before himself.
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Kathy, you are asking about Ursula Scott - she passed away last year and I don't know if her husband kept the site full size or reduced it, or how he fared in the storms. We should hear from Scott or others who are heading there later this morning.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Thanks, Louise - now that you mention it, I seem to recall reading that last year.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Matt@atx

There was a super cell forming in North East Austin yesterday with tornado warnings about. I have never seen this in the Austin City area before. I hear they are ripping through out wierd places in the country right now. it crazy.
What a terrible tragedy to hear what has happened to Steve and Bill and all those sites.
My heart goes out to these guys. They are as "Pro" when it comes to Martins as it gets and I for one have benefitted from his vast knowledge in Martins.
I hope we hear from them soon. just terrible to hear.
2008~(1st yr) 4 pairs, 11 to 12 fledged
2009~(2nd yr) 9 pairs, 41 fledged
2010~(3rd year) 11 pairs. 50 fledged
2011~(4th year) 20 pairs, 23 out of 23 gourds Martin occupied, 3 fledged, the rest died in the drought. (1 new Blue Bird, 3 BB fledged.)
2012~ 26 pairs, approx. 100-110 fledged
Kevin-GA

Sorry to hear the bad news, its one of a martin landlords worst nightmares. I'm glad that Steve and his family are alright, just wish we lived closer by, to pitch in and help out. If someone, maybe Louise, could set up a rebuild fund through PMCA or post Steve's address so we could send a donation direct to him, I'm sure he could use some help at a time like this.

We will be praying for Steve, Bob, and all the families touched by these storms. May God Bless you all, Kevin
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

I've been thinking about Steve, Bob and their martins all morning and I had one comforting thought -

if there's anyone that can bring a flock of over 500 martins through this, it would be Steve. He has great strength and knowledge and I hope we can help him, as he has helped many of us throughout the years.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com

Glad everyone is ok. Prayers and thoughts are with you in this difficult time.
CMF

What a great group of people you are. Most know of Steve and Bob only through key strokes on a pc and look at how we are all affected by this tragedy. We are all joined by the interest in Purple Martins but this goes further, we are all concerned about our great friends’ health and safety first. The martins will be fine, they will return, they will proliferate, and Steve, Bob and others will prevail.
I am glad to hear you are well and we anxiously await your next report on the event.
CMF
Georgetown, DE
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
katkola

My prayers are with Steve also! This is so tragic.

I've been concerned because we are supposed to have very bad weather this evening and tomorrow! I may have to lower my rack and house.
2010- 1 pair, 5 eggs, 3 fledged (First Year)
2011- 8 pair, 5 nesting pair, 22 eggs, 11 fledges
Lost one female and her 4 eggs, 5 eggs
destroyed by HS!
2012- 12 pair (10 nesting pair), 48 Fledglings!
2013 - 17 pair - 80 Fledglings!!
Paul P

Steve,

So sorry to hear of your lose . . . you and everyone in the area are in our thoughts and prayers. If we can help in any way, just post a note.

Ole' Paul
Flopass

My thoughts go out to Steve and everyone who encountered any loss as a consequence of this terrible weather.
Joe Zorn

I was hoping to hear that Steve's site is recovering and that the damage is not as bad as he feared. I wish I could make that trip up north to help him stand up whatever will stand and put as many nests as possible back together. Health wise - I would do him little good, and probably be in the way about 95% of the time.

Just the same, my thoughts are with him and those who are helping him do what can be done.

So happy to hear that he and family are not injured.
razman

how awful, i can't even imagine....sorry to hear it Steve, hope it all sorts out ok
2004...notta
2005-2008 lookies
2009...lookies, and a SYM hanging around a bunch
2010...an ASY pair! 5 eggs, 5 babies fledged! yehawwwwwwwwww
2011....still only one nesting pair..extreme heat killed the babies
2012..ASY pair...fledged 4 babies!
2013 notta, few lookie lous

Steve
So sorry to hear of this!! The weather has been scary. Glad to hear
No one is hurt. We will pray for you and your family.
What can we do to help??
Mike
Kent Justus

This is terrible news for certainly some of the best managed martins in the country and which provide hundreds if not thousands of fledglings to other colony sites. Steve and Bob, our thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope that those that are within driving distance to Steve and Bob will go and help to quickly restore their sites as nesting has just gotten underway. Please let me know if you are accepting any financial assistance and I will be happy to help. PMCA, I hope there is something that you can do as well to assist as they quickly rebuilt these sites. - Kent / Mt. Vernon, AR
John Barrow

Steve, my heart pours out to you and Bob. I cannot imagine the work and sadness you encounter. I, too, would like to offer financial assistance. I talked to Adam Troyer midday and apprised them of the situation and believe they are prepared to help also.

Please let us know when and how we can help.
Friend in Texas, jb
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009, 2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander (retired Jan., 2020)
Linda Reynolds

Steve & Bob, please know that Paul and I feel as badly as others when hearing about this report.

My reply has been delayed due to our own weather issues, but if there is anything we, as individuals or as a community, can do for you or your colony site, please let us know. Please just post, and ask...........or provide your address if donations are needed.

You are both in our thoughts............
Ever-Grateful,
Linda
Ladybug
Martin Colony History: 2005-2019. Lots lookers, 2 successful nesting's.
2010- 1 pair nested,eggs destroyed(Wren).
2012- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2019- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged.

So sorry to hear of your tragic loss. Words cannot express your grief.
Glad that you, your family are OK. Having been through a tornado myself several years ago, it is NOT an experience one forgets.
Our prayers are with your, your family. May GOD be with you, your family, friends.
Joanne
Bob

Steve and Bob you and your families are in my thoughts and prayers. I imagine you have your work cut out for you.
Keith

Steve and Bob,
I too want to express my sorrow for your losses at such a critical time for your colony. Please be aware that some homeowner insurance will cover the losses incurred with the bird housing and hope this is true in your case. I would certainly inform the adjuster of this loss. In our prayers.
Keith