Day 6 of supplemental feeding - 24 martins here now.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Today was supposed to hit 50 deg., but it only got as high as 43 and was cloudy all day. The martins ate another doz. eggs and 300+ crickets today.

They must be feeling better though, because they're playing with their food! This afternoon 1 male grabbed a piece of egg & swooped down off the B&B, then straight up. When he reached a height of about 50 ft. he dropped the egg, then swooped down to catch it. I thought it was a one- time thing, but this evening he did it again, only this time, another male was watching him from the racks and swooped in to catch the egg before he could reach it. :lol: :lol:

I lowered the housing and flushed everyone out this afternoon to check on everyone & load up the porches w/ crickets. Fortunately no fatalities. The martins decided to go glide around as a flock while I was checking. Once back on my deck, I took out my spoon & watched them for a few minutes. They were headed away from me and were over my neighbor's property about 800 feet away. So I called them with the phrase I use when I'm feeding them - just to see if it would work and hubby and I couldn't believe our eyes.

The whole herd turned and headed straight for me. It was awesome to see a flock of 24 birds, moving as one, coming my way just by calling them. They glided down to my height and started circling as I flipped a few crickets & eggs then filled up the B&B.

It's great to know we can help them through these tough weather conditions, but man, my feet are tired, and I'm REALLY sick of eggs! :lol:
Rain & 50 degrees tomorrow.... :-( , and the weatherman can't decide if Friday will be 51 and rain or 60 and sunny. :???:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 66 Pairs in 2017
PM Mentor

Smiling ear to ear listening to your pride and passion Kathy! Keep em warm...you might have a bird or two of mine over there! I'm hoping for arrivals this Friday!

Jeff
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
Jeff Robinson
PM Mentor

BTW, the weatherman's been wrong almost every day this past week, so hopefully he'll call for 70s on Friday so it will at least hit 60!! :lol:
Flopass

Wow. Beautiful image, Kathy thanks for sharing.
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

So is that phrase a secret or are you gonna enlighten us all with it. Maybe it will work for us to....after this mornings feeding they were gone all day. Temp hit 48 with very light wind. They came in about 7 and looked pretty good. Will flip in the morning just in case.
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
KathyF

TonyG wrote:So is that phrase a secret or are you gonna enlighten us all with it. Maybe it will work for us to....after this mornings feeding they were gone all day. Temp hit 48 with very light wind. They came in about 7 and looked pretty good. Will flip in the morning just in case.
LOL - Tony, some people use a 'clicker' (like for dog training) and some people whistle to them when they start feeding them. I can't whistle very well, and I always talk to my martins when I approach their racks so as not to startle them, starting with saying "Hello". So, I decided to say something that would be unique only to feeding time and being a fan of Snow White (and thinking this everytime I go to work), I just say, "Hi Ho!" every time I flipped food the first 2 days. Now I just say it when they're in their cavities and I'm putting out food and I don't want the cardinals & cowbirds to get it all before the martins get there. Hey...it works!!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
KathyF

Jeff Robinson wrote:BTW, the weatherman's been wrong almost every day this past week, so hopefully he'll call for 70s on Friday so it will at least hit 60!! :lol:
Jeff, I'm going to call Brandon and tell him I'm going to apply for his job. When he says I'm not qualified, I'm going to tell him, "Neither are you, but you still get to stand there every day and LIE to us!!!" :lol: :lol:

So.Sick.of.Rain!!!
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair

Kathy, enjoyed your post so much, you are doing a amazing service as a landlord.

Last year was my first yr to get Martins, mid april. Still none here as of yet, but I do not blame them, I would not come here right now the weather is terrible. In fact I wish I could fly somewhere with better weather. But it makes me think when and if my martins return here I need to teach them to let me feed them. And I will try that this year right after they return. (If they ever do). I do not know when or if they will return. I sure hope they do. But they might decide to just take up housekeeping at someplace with nicer weather than is here. No one else around me has their martins back as of yet. I am sure it is just not time for ours to return. and this weather is not helping any. Cold, damp, drizzle, rain, have not seen the sunshine in days, suppose to see sunshine on saturday and sunday and then back to rain, clouds next week again. We will not be able to mow the yard till it dry's and that will not be until mid June at this rate.

Oh and what did you say that phrase was that you used to call them back to feed?
trisha

Kathy you are doing a fantastic job feeding your martins. You have them trained well! What an awesome experience to see them come back to you. Hope your weather gets better soon.
Trisha

PMCA member
2019, 36 pair
Jeff Robinson
PM Mentor

Kathy,

You call Brandon and I'll call Dave Snider, their other meteorologist, and get the real martin weather scoop. I've been waiting to see his scout report for this year - he lives in Ozark, and his should be any day.

OMG, the sun is out this morning! :shock:
KathyF

Jeff Robinson wrote:Kathy,

You call Brandon and I'll call Dave Snider, their other meteorologist, and get the real martin weather scoop. I've been waiting to see his scout report for this year - he lives in Ozark, and his should be any day.

OMG, the sun is out this morning! :shock:
Really?? The sun is out?? Not here yet, but hopefully soon then!!!

I knew Dave had submitted a scout report last year and was wondering if he was still involved in martins. Have you ever talked to him about them?
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
Jeff Robinson
PM Mentor

No Kathy, I haven't talked to Dave Snider, but I plan on "trying" to reach him to see how much influence he has on maybe doing a spot on their news about Purple Martins. Dave has reported Scouts each of the last 3 years, so I'm sure he's still doing it.

Speaking of getting the word out, I saw Tim's post on another thread about business cards at the local bird store down there in Hot Springs, and John doing something similar - great ideas! I'm in pretty good with the owner of the Wild Birds Unlimited here in Springfield, and I've been working on him the past couple years to upgrade his PM housing and supplies. When I told him about the top quality of the Trendsetter I put up this year, he couldn't wait to get one in his store. He now has it displayed in the window of his store, and might have some takers. I asked him to refer people to the PMCA if he didn't have something in stock that customers asked about. Anyway, I think I'll do something along the lines of what Tim and John have done, and get Brooks some business cards for any new starts or others needing a mentor.

Crud...the sun is getting blanketed out by incoming weather. Overly anxious to see my birds!!! :-( :cry:
eyeamtheman
Martin Colony History: Super colony

Nice story, Kathy.
Johnny
TheCav-MO

Kathy enjoyed your story as always. Couldn't help but smile when I pictured all the birds turning and coming back to you calling them. The sun did shine some this afternoon here. But I also scraped the ice off my windshield to get to work this morning as well. Still staring skyward waiting for the return of our martins here in north Missouri.
KathyF

Thanks, Cav. It has been a long haul this week, but the birds are responding well. Yesterday was Day 7. There was ice on my deck yesterday morning also. It was supposed to reach 50 deg. here yesterday, but only made it to 47 deg. I fed them 2x yesterday morning as it was still a bit drizzly and only 38 deg.

When it finally hit 45 mid afternoon, they left the site for a couple of hours. When I got off work the martins were no where in sight and hubby and I took a walk around our pond to try to check on our frogs (we think they froze to death this winter). Within 15 minutes I heard a male martin overhead and soon there was a circling swarm of martins above us, chattering away. After about 5 minutes they headed back to the gourd racks. I told hubby, "that must mean, get your spoon, we're still hungry!". :lol: :lol:

They did look better yesterday evening, but by the time I got back to the house, they were sitting on the B&B looking for food.

Today - Day 8: Temps are supposed to reach 59 here today with some rain this morning. Given that it's only 37 here right now though, I went ahead & fed them this morning. I don't even call them out in the morning...by 7:00 AM, they're swooping down on the B&B, banging on the windows & squawking looking for food.

Thankfully, temps in high 60's Sat. & 78 (WOO!) on Sunday....maybe I'll get to sleep in this weekend!

Gosh - I hope this weather breaks today. I feel like Linda R....if I have to scramble another egg, I'm gonna cry. :lol: :cry: :lol:
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
Dawn~KS

Our weather is supposed to improve too, Kathy. I hope it really does. I am sick of scrambling eggs as well but it is worth it to know that the same amount of martins is still out here and that *maybe* we are on the tail end of all this. I am so happy that so many were able to accomplish teaching their martins to accept supplemental food so when the next bad spell hits we are in better shape!!

Kudos to you and everyone who took advantage of the opportunity! :)

Dawn
LarryMelcher/KY

Way to go Kathy !! I fed my 8 martins last night again. It sure is fun, plus just the thought that you could very well keep them from starving to death makes it all worth it. I think mine know to "get my attention" when I pull in the driveway. Maybe it is the garage door going up... that's "my clicker" !! Ha Ha...
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA
rdhd

L