White spots on the purple map

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
wyatt

If you look at the Scout Report map right now, you will see mostly purple with a few white spots. I can identify the white spot in Georgia. It looks like the Okefenokee swamp, which would have few people living there (or at least few people living there with internet access). Can anyone identify the spots for other states ? This is just for fun but it could be interesting.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Part of the gap between Corpus Christi and the Rio Grande Valley is the King Ranch. I have been told they have martins there, but it covers such a huge area, even a dot would not fill up the white area :wink:
Gobbler T

The white spot in MS is where I live. Ain't no martins here! :lol:

No really the right hand tip of the spot is where I live. Right against the AL line. But I'm gona fill it one day! 8)
Tony

2007 --- 0 2011---0 2015---4
2008 --- 0 2012---0 16-19—0
2009 --- 0 2013---1 2020—?
2010 --- 0 2014---3
mayhaw10

Hello Gobbler T, Well I am in Quitman, Ga about 70 Miles west of the
Okefenokee Swamp and I have "NO" Martins here either. I am still hoping to get some this year. I have 2 nice houses and 4 gourds
out there just begging for Martins to Come and stay. I am still watching the skies every day.
mayhaw10
dcartwright

South East Kentucky is very mountainous and heavily forested. Not an area open for Purple Martins. Part of the area is also a section of Virginia.

Don in Ky.
Tim Stover

cant find no white spot on Tennessee thats weird i know there not everywhere :?:
2009 2pair 2010 24pair 2011 106 pair
2012 124 pair
2013 145
2014 170 pair
+
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Yep...most of PA is still white. Winter refuses to let go. Had snow showers tonight....calling for 3 days of snow/sleet/freezing rain next week too :(. My colony usually shows up between March 23rd & April 3rd.

ToyinPA
Scott D.- La

Thomas,
I would say the white spot in Louisiana is the Tensas National Wildlife refuge which is adjoined also with Big Lake WMA when combined, encompasses over 100,000 acres of what used to be the largest Hardwood bottoms in the State. Unfortunately, most of it was cleared for Agriculture and only that small portion remains.
e p jones

I believe it would make the scout arrival map much more interesting if the U.S./Canada map were about doubled in size, and the arrival "dots" reduced in size by about 1/2 from the size they are now.

Each "dot" now probably covers 50+ miles
MidTNJerry

The spot directly south of the Eastern Kentucky white spot on the TN & NC border is the Cherokee Reservation.
2013 -
2012 - Dawnsong CD playing every morning. Many, many visitors.
2011 - Many visitors.
Linda Reynolds

No one should be concentrating on the dots..........Landlords and potential landlords should be looking at and concentrating on the information provided referencing the arrival dates.

This is the PMCA, not NASA. While white dots and other things are not as precise as you would like, it is the best of the best in the purple martin community.

Scout Arrival Reports lets one know when scouts have been reported in your area.......If you are a senior landlord, this will hold more importance than those waiting for first arrivals. However, those waiting for first arrivals should probably open up some of their housing at the time martins are reported in their area.

Opening compartments does not guarantee YOU will get martins, but one never knows if established colonies might need a new home, so do NOT close that window of opportunity.

I thank the PMCA for providing this information regardless if your state is purple, white, polkadot or yellow..........It is a great tool and the PMCA should be thanked for offering it to the community.
Ever-Grateful,
Linda
Dawn~KS

I really appreciate having the Scout Report. I go to it to see my dates from years past (glad it is recorded as sometimes I don't write it down). I also use it to see others in my state and their dates. I like that I can look back and get a good idea on an average that landlords get their birds.

The birds are going to do their thing whether we check the Scout Report (at least 50 times a day) :) or not and I for one appreciate it without concentrating too much on where the dots are. In fact, I don't even look at the purple coloring as I mostly look at the date list.

Keep looking up and best of luck to all. If we can get through this bad weather and have some sun we will be doing grrrrrreat!!
Gobbler T

very well said Linda!

I would imagine that most of the people (myself included) that wish for the dots to be more precise are Wannabe's like me.

If they are like me, they really don't care so much about the dots they really just want ............MARTINS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I too appreciate the PMCA's efforts with the scout report and map. When the martins are on the move I look at the map about as much as I do the post!
Tony

2007 --- 0 2011---0 2015---4
2008 --- 0 2012---0 16-19—0
2009 --- 0 2013---1 2020—?
2010 --- 0 2014---3
wyatt

Thanks everyone! It's been educational to be able to look at the map and know That's the Okefenokee swamp, that's the King Ranch, that's the Tensas National Wildlife Refuge, The Cherokee reservation, or a mountainous forest. And maybe one day Gobbler T can fill that spot in Mississippi!