Curious- Pms prefer eggs or crickets

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

I was feeding my martins tonight and when they start letting them hit the ground thats when I call the feeding over. Well I noticed they would almost always get the egg but the crickets would hit the ground more. I think my martins prefer scrambled eggs. Has anyone else noticed what their pms like the best and if so which one?

Tomorrow I think the weather might let them find their own food I hope.
Craig
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

At John B's old colony in Port O Connor, the martins seemed to prefer eggs over crickets (and liked their eggs scrambled, rather than over easy :wink:)

Our Corpus birds won't eat egg! I wish they would, but they only go for crickets and mealworms or zophoba worms.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Craig, they seem to like both when I'm flipping them, but I have noticed when I put them out on the feeding tray a lot of the martins will gobble up the eggs and walk right past the crickets. The crickets do eventually get eaten, but the egg goes first.

Glad you posted this...thought it was just me! It may be awhile before I'm hungry for eggs myself again! :lol: :lol:

NOAA is forecasting it to be 52 tomorrow...hope they're right, but every day here this week, we've fallen under the expected high for the day, except for yesterday. We managed to hit 59 yesterday and they left for a couple of hours. But then they came back & came to the 'feeding tray', picking up the last of the scraps, so I'm not sure if they were just being little piggies yesterday, or if they really didn't get enough food while they were out. :roll: Of course, maybe they're still trying to make up for some lost feeding time.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
dcartwright

I'm having the opposite problem. My PM will only take the crickets but drop the eggs. Do the scrambled eggs need to be browned just a bit or cooked just enough to harden the yellow but still pretty soft?

Any other out of the shelf food other than insects?
John Miller

I'm still spooning crickets into six comparments and three gourd tunnels one to two times a day..whew... -- and all are always eaten. I tried mixing in some small scrambled egg bits yesterday and I thought some of it was eaten, but not all. I may try again, but thinking in compartments I may be better off with crickets.

It has not reached 50 here in six days ...hopefully tomorrow; then two days of light rain and upper 40s, ugh, then maybe 60 by Saturday. If I can keep these 7 or 8 martins going for a week or more like this, it will boost my confidence in what's possible -- but takes a lot of effort.

John
KathyF

DC - your eggs may need to be cut up smaller. If they're too big, they will grab them, but then drop it. I chop it up pretty small - maybe 3/16" x 3/16" to 1/4" x 1/4" ...think maybe a quarter to a third the size of a dime. Very small!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
KathyF

John, I don't know if more of my martins arrived today or all the neighborhood martins heard about the buffet being served here, but I had an increase in my numbers today. I counted 21 on the racks this evening and there were more in the house & gourds. Hopefully, I can get a good count tomorrow....too rainy today. :-(
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
CraigMo.

My eggs are almost brown on one side and not to soft. Kathy when I started feeding eggs 3 days ago they would drop the big ones. I still try to cut pieces a bit smaller than a dime, but they don't even drop the big ones now. You can see them swallow the egg full and you can hear them catch the egg. My neighbor who is up the street came down to watch and he had a good time, he enjoyed flipping too. I think this is his 2nd or 3rd year as an active landlord.
Craig
Dawn~KS

Funny how they vary from colony to colony. Mine take flipped crickets and eggs just fine. Now, I have been trying to get them to the B&B during this bad spell. I have one chow hound male that sat in 3 different trays and ate out every cricket among the eggs.........go figure. More crickets are on the way and I am SICK of scrambling eggs. :) :) :) I cook my eggs in the microwave and them make them small like Kathy is saying.

It looks like the forecast is a little better with temps but there is rain too. It will be so nice when they are able to go feed again. I have 12 now that I am feeding and I hope they all make it.

Best to all! :grin:

Dawn
KathyF

Dawn & Craig:

Louise C. sent me this info - thought I'd share - make sure you're feeding them enough - I don't think I was, at first!
Here's the feeding/nutrition thinking: an adult martin can maintain its weight on 40 crickets a day, if that's all it is eating. One cooked egg will feed two adult martins for one day, so one egg = 80 crickets.
I fed 1 doz. eggs and 300+ crickets yesterday to about 21 birds....I think they're making up for not getting enough the last few days. During "normal" weather, my martins may come out on the porches early on a cold morning, but they typically go right back in and don't really appear in total until about 10 AM. This morning, they all came out at 7:00 AM and flew up to the roof top and were getting ready to pounce on the feeding tray I've setup. They must be really hungy to get such an early start. Glad I decided to scramble eggs last night before going to bed! :lol: They're already out there scarfing it down. Will have to refill it here in about 20 mins. :shock:

Craig, my nature-loving friend came over last evening to help me fling a few crickets/eggs. She loved it...the swish of wings is so cool. Then she kept the tray full all evening as we visited. It was funny - "kathy, the tray is empty and there are 6 birds out there...get the food out, quick! C. YOU do it...I'm cooking more eggs!!" :lol: :lol:
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
TheCav-MO

Kathy it sounds like the neighbor hood birds have heard there was a buffet at your house. I can't imagine feeding that much a day. I have chickens.... just not sure they'd be happy me feeding their eggs to another bird :wink: I'm still waiting on the arrival of my martins. Hoping it will be soon with the weather finally starting to warm up a little.
Bob Allnock

My PMs prefer eggs. They even carry them in to feed the young.

My problem is my front pond has tons of Cat tails which attracts so many nesting Redwing Blackbirds that the fight is on for the mealworms & crickets when I put them in the B&B. Between the Bluebirds and Redwings the Martins get what is left which is usually eggs which they eat plenty.

Even when I put out all three the PMs eat the eggs.
Bob Allnock Portersville, Pa.
Bob Allnock

My PMs prefer eggs. They even carry them in to feed the young.

My problem is my front pond has tons of Cat tails which attracts so many nesting Redwing Blackbirds that the fight is on for the mealworms & crickets when I put them in the B&B. Between the Bluebirds and Redwings the Martins get what is left which is usually eggs which they eat plenty.

Even when I put out all three the PMs eat the eggs.
Bob Allnock Portersville, Pa.
Craig Haddox

Craig, my martins prefer cricket's over eggs by a landslide. I have crickets waiting if the martins ever show up.
Linda Reynolds

Our martins seem to prefer eggs. I place trays of scrambled eggs on our feeding station and top them with thawed crickets........The martins take the eggs, and the mockingbirds and blue birds take the crickets.........Win/Win for all the birds.
Ever-Grateful,
Linda
CraigMo.

My martins trained me to flip them while they are cirlcing above me tonight. I have one that I can just toss one with my hand about 3 to 4 feet above me and he catches it. I thought about trying to feed him from my hand but I thought I better not get him that tamed. When they were full they all flew to my house roof and sat there. I guess that means they are full. When they flew back to the gourd and house set up I noticed they don't look that healthy. So my feeding might be helping but they need some warm bug eating days and thats still not till maybe tomorrow if it does not rain but it might rain the next 2 days. Today it was supposed to be 50 but it made it to 45. I saw no bugs. I had 14 pms yesterday and the day before but today I had 12. I will lower the setups tomorrow if its warm and dry to check if I lost a couple.
Craig
KathyF

Craig, that is too cool...we have a male that's like that. My martins started an organized "swirl" and now circle me too. I guess they figure it's better than running into each other. I have a couple of females that prefer to have their food flung to them. They'll go to the B&B but end up just picking up the food & spitting it out. I recognize them because they are very dark breasted.

I'm sick of this weather. I'm on day 6. Tomorrow is going to be a questionable day here too - 50 deg. & rain.

I hope your other 2 show back up or are just hunkered down keeping each other cozy. :)
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 66 Pairs in 2017
PM Mentor

Craig,

Heck, let him eat from your hand if he will. Have somebody ready with the camera just in case and post the picture! Congrats on all your successes!

Jeff
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony