Ky Supplemental Feeding

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dcartwright

Tried last year, no luck. Stopped at the bait store today and picked up some crickets. After about ten tosses, one ASY male flew down from the rack taking one. It must have been good because each toss after that had a PM taking the meal! Relieved!! Now I don't have to worry about this long cold spell.

Tomorrow will be day three so they need food.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Congratulations, DC! How many martins do you have back? I was so upset when I looked at the forcast for the next week and saw that we won't have good feeding weather until maybe next Friday now, but that all went away when my martins started feeding yesterday.

I ordered another 2000 crickets from reptilefood.com and they'll be here Tues. Meanwhile, I'm scrambling eggs to supplement the 1000 crickets I have on hand. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted on your success!

Awesome feeling isn't it!?! 8)
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
DakotaLady

That is fantastic you were able to get them to feed on crickets. Nice job. At least you have comfort in knowing you will most likely save your birds during this cold spell. What a great feeling you must have.
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
dcartwright

YES!! What a great feeling!

They don't forget either. Went out this morning, first toss, ASY male took it right away.

I only have six to feed so I don't need many crickets.

Best wishes everyone!
Dawn~KS

Congrats...........it is an awesome feeling!! What is amazing too is that they don't forget from one year to the next!! So happy for you!!

Dawn :)
SoIndyDon

You and I are in the same geographical longitude. The big spring chill is on. But wasn't it great that we had temps in the 70's and 80's last week?! That must have given the returning martins a good feed.

Only 10 tosses and you got a taker? That's awesome. Mine took 3 days and 60-70 crickets on the third day to get one to try one. The rest was history!
Landlording since 1996 in beautiful southern Indiana.
The Olsons

I am so happy to hear that you are going out of your way to help the martins survive. It is not easy to get them to eat supplemental food, but with lots of patience and lots of love we all will succeed. It is an awesome feeling to see how they trust us and know we are helping them. Keep up the great work :grin:
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)
LarryMelcher/KY

ALRIGHT !! More feeding in Kentucky !! Congrats... I have 7 Purple Martins at my home colony as of this post. I toss them crickets on my driveway so that any that I drop or they miss, I pick up and toss again. Many times when I am bent over trying to catch a cricket (I use live crickets because I bet my martins prefer live) I will hear or feel the wind of martins flying so close.
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA
Thurman Seber~TN

Great... and they will also remember next year when they return. Now next step...train them to feed from a platform, tray, or roof top and your feeding worries are over. They will learn to eat scrambled eggs chopped up small as well.
Thurman Seber, Alexandria, Tennessee
Mary Wilson-SW Ont

Congratulations! Now you never need worry again - well, we always worry - but you know that you can help them survive and that they'll remember it now from year to year. That's pretty quick - 10 tosses !

With more and more people getting their birds onto supplemental feeding every year, I always tell people in our PM club to try it as soon as the weather turns, because they never know if one of their birds, having come through all the southern states to get home, has encountered feeding at one of their stop-overs. They might already have a "trained" bird at their colony that will be able to quickly show the others.

Hopefully the weather will be kind to our birds from here on in. Happy martineering !
www.ontariopurplemartins.ca ..... the website of the Ontario Purple Martin Association, in SW Ontario, Can