One shot... one kill

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

I spent about an hour sighting in my Gamo air rifle on Friday and was glad did. It was a off. Sighted it in at about 20 yards.

This morning I had a couple starlings land in my backyard, so I though this would be as good a time as ever to do some sniping.

Put the cross hairs on the closest to me and squeezed off a pellet. The little round did its job. The starling dropped dead instantly. One less pest to worry about. Not sure if it was a male or female, but it wasn't as purple/black like the others, so I assume it may have been a female.

My setup is a Gamo Hunter 220 topped with a 4x32 BSA scope. Shooting Benjamin Premier .177 Hollow points. What I like about these pellets is their ability to expand. The exit would is pretty devastating on small birds. I examined the starling and it too had a very large area blown out of its back.

Boy, these starling have one mean looking beak. Looks like a spike.

I know this sounds kinda morbid. But if you want to do pest control with an air rifle- as well as do it humanely- these pellets tend to give great results.
Fredmyyster

Very nice ! I guess i need to quit messin round and buy a real rifle like yours. I paid 100 bux for mine and cant hit the side of my shed and thats with the scope. Its no wonder now them nasty sparrows been laffin at me.
Empty POOLS are a Delight ! !
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Fredmyyster wrote:Very nice ! I guess i need to quit messin round and buy a real rifle like yours. I paid 100 bux for mine and cant hit the side of my shed and thats with the scope. Its no wonder now them nasty sparrows been laffin at me.
I bought my rifle on sale for 99.00. I think it was about half price. Gamo Hunters are very good rifles that only need a trigger mod.

There are "air smiths" that tune these things and make 'em really sweet shooters. I'm thinking about doing this soon. Will cost me about 180.00 for a good tuning. It's worth it for me- I love shooting.

I think practice is the number one thing. Try to shoot a lot. Practice squeezing the trigger instead of pulling it, set up a small target and shoot at about 15 to 20 yards. Stick with one type of pellet (one your rifle seems to like) and keep practicing with it.
Fredmyyster

Will try, thanks :)
Empty POOLS are a Delight ! !
RC Moser

Fred, what type of air rifle? to hit a E. sparrow you have to be able to hit a dime size target repeatly at any distance.

I have $20 dollars ones and 500 dollar ones. the cheaper ones you have to treat like fresh brought dozen of eggs. Any banging around will knock them of especially if you have basic scope. Course spring guns take special scope or they will destroy scopes that are not designed for spring guns.

I shoot mostly PCP type airguns. With these you also have to figure in bottle pressure after 100 or so shots. I find I have to resite in when; new tin of pellets are introduced, after the rifle in storage for some time, after cleaning (some don't recommend cleaning the barrel due to takes certain amount of pellets to lead in the barrel for maximum acturacy), and after extreme temperature changes.

I also site my rifles in at different yardage and keep notes, so I know what the drop off is and how much elevation I need or the amount of clicks to turn(if I got good scope that will repeat when clicking elevation up and down) to hit a target further down range. Different rifles drop off at different rates. So I have about 3 different site sessions to get the drop amount figured. Then, My final setting in would be at the elevation angle that I will be shooting, that number is dialed into the scope, all others are taken off that setting.

I have two that will cloverleaf 98% of the time at 65 feet, RWS Hammerli 850 .177 with adjustable trigger, BS AS392 .22 cal., and a cheap .177 Crosman 2100 that will almost match the other two. all have reasonable priced Bushnell sportman scopes.
dsonyay

Yeah-- air rifles are addictive. Some of the rifles are expensive, but the ammo is cheap and you can shoot nearly anywhere.

I've read the new Gamo precharged is really nice:
http://www.gamousa.com/family.aspx?familyID=85

Benjamin makes one like it too with a couple different features.
Joe Zorn

Dead Eye David!

I just realized what your log-in name meant! Good use of phonetics! :lol:
Indiana_Tom

I have been working with a new Benjamin Discovery PCP. It has a very tight group. I have a breakdown springer also but it is really touchy on how it is held.

The PCP air rifles have no recoil and in .177 will reach a velocity of about 900 fps.

The Discovery is about the cheapest PCP you can get and is still rather expensive because you need to get a pump to pressurize the system. The chamber is pumped up to 2000 psi.

I put a bushnell Sportsman 4 x 12 x 40 on it and it works well.

Good luck to all this season
2009, 1 pair of SYs w/4 eggs - wait, no 4 babies and all 4 fledged. What a great experience.
2010, 2 ASY pair and 2 SY pair 18eggs / 14 fledged.
2011, 12 pair with 49 eggs, 43 fledged.
2012, 20 pair with 113 eggs as of 1 June
2013, 22 pair with 112 eggs as of 9 June
2014, 23 pair with 113 eggs
Jeremy Shuler

All this talk about pellet guns got me to thinking about a boy scout camping trip i was on a few years back. There was a guy there teaching shooting classes and he had flint lock black powder pellet gun he had built it was awsome!!!!!! :P 8)
Jeremy Shuler
2009-housing up late 1 SY male for a month
2010-2 ASY pairs- fledged 9
2011- 5 ASY pairs building nests and 2 SY pairs several SY males
Jeremy Shuler

All this talk about pellet guns got me to thinking about a boy scout camping trip i was on a few years back. There was a guy there teaching shooting classes and he had flint lock black powder pellet gun he had built it was awsome!!!!!! :P 8)
Jeremy Shuler
2009-housing up late 1 SY male for a month
2010-2 ASY pairs- fledged 9
2011- 5 ASY pairs building nests and 2 SY pairs several SY males
dsonyay

Indiana_Tom wrote:I have been working with a new Benjamin Discovery PCP. It has a very tight group.
Yeah-- that will likely be my next rifle. I love how there is a gauge on the rifle to tell you how much air you have. The Gamo version does not.

I've read some very good reviews of that rifle on some of the airgun forums. Not much you need to do aside from maybe some trigger work.

When you are doing precision shooting a 2 to 3 pound trigger is a big plus to accuracy. They can go much lighter, but for shooting birds that's good enough.

Take care---
Indiana_Tom

I am very satisfied with the Discovery. The trigger mech. could use some improvement but that is easy to do. Three trigger adjustment screws need to be added and the housing is already setup for two of them. I have a fully adjustable two stage trigger now and the additional cost was less that two dollars.

The Discovery is said to be a little more noisy than some would like but it isn't a problem for me. The more expensive "Marauder" is the really nice version developed after the Discovery and is extremely quite. It is a better quality air rifle but will cost about $200 more than the Discovery though.
2009, 1 pair of SYs w/4 eggs - wait, no 4 babies and all 4 fledged. What a great experience.
dsonyay

Indiana_Tom wrote:I am very satisfied with the Discovery. The trigger mech. could use some improvement but that is easy to do. Three trigger adjustment screws need to be added and the housing is already setup for two of them. I have a fully adjustable two stage trigger now and the additional cost was less that two dollars.

The Discovery is said to be a little more noisy than some would like but it isn't a problem for me. The more expensive "Marauder" is the really nice version developed after the Discovery and is extremely quite. It is a better quality air rifle but will cost about $200 more than the Discovery though.
I'll check out the Marauder.. sounds very nice.
dsonyay

Tom---

I was looking at the Pyramid Airgun website. There are videos of them testing the Maruader--- Gee Wiz man, this is bar-none, the rifle to buy. Under 400 bucks if you scour the online sources. Mid 400 range through Pyramid.
It's got features that people pay huge dollars to have--

World class trigger system, nearly silent in .177 and .22. You only hear the hammer/valve release!! PLus a superior European style barrel design (choked barrel)

Incredible accuracy.

I was thinking of having one of my rifles custom tuned but wll not do it and just buy this rifle in .177. Go to youtube and checkout all the videos of this rifle. Glad you mentioned the rifle. I'm now in the hunt for one.
Indiana_Tom

Hey dsonyay,

I agree totally, it is an outstanding air rifle. Keep in mind you will need a pump to pressurize it. They are couple of hundred. That will bring you up to 650 approx. That is why I went with the Benjamin Discovery. It was the predecessor to the Marauder with a total cost of 450 for rifle and pump. Both are excellent.

If a person has access to high pressure air / scuba tanks and a place to fill them, he can hold off on the pump. You can also use CO2.

Other things to remember about PCPs. They need very little cleaning. And of course DO NOT put a brush through the barrel. Any rod put down the barrel should have a soft cover (rubber / plastic). Most articles I have read say normal cleaning of barrel should be about every 1000 pellets. DO NOT USE REGULAR GUN OIL TO CLEAN. High pressure air and flammable fluids (most oils) do not mix.

Anyway, you are right. What a great pellet rifle.

Tom
Indiana_Tom

I have found the JSB Exact to be an excellent pellet for the Discovery. It comes with about 25 Crosman Premier pellets and they are very good also. I would not use a Crosman unless it was a Premier. Other Crosmans are a smaller size. I would think the Marauder would be the same. The Marauder is an auto loader so that is a plus. I did hear it did not like flat nosed pellets because they tend to be more difficult to chamber. I have read some articles about reaming the chamber some so as to better accept the wadcutters. Me, I prefer the round nose.

You will also need a mid to heavy pellet. Around 10 gr or more. The light pellets go too fast in these high pressure rifles and loose stability. Anything close to supersonic will hurt accuracy. 800 to 900 feet per second is about what you want.

I shoot my Ben. Discovery out of the bedroom window. We don't heat the bedroom so I don't loose heat and I bought the wife a nice winter coat so she could go out and change targets :lol: .

Tom
dsonyay

Don't know if my wife would be so helpful :) good one.

I am close by to a scuba place.. Also we have plenty of paint-ball shops that do either air or Co2 refils. I'd likely get a hold of some used scuba tanks.

Yeah these rifles have their own little quirks I suppose. I've never owned a PCP style, but I'd love one. I'll pass on the discovery-- I know I'd only want the Marauder over time. Besides--- it's the trigger system that's got me all worked up. I read some forum posts about it and it is definately a presision shooters dream.

Many people think the Marauder surpasses the best PCP rifles in the world.

The only thing I'm doing to my Gamo Hunter for the time being is installing the GRTIII trigger, other than that, all other money will be put aside for a Marauder.

Did you see Benjamin's electronic controlled PCP due out any day? A true hunting airgun (.357 caliber) that shoots a nearly 100+ grain bullet at 850-900 fps. Made to shoot much larger animals/game.

Cost will be about 900.00 I saw it on youtube too.

Regarding pellets-- I shoot the Benjamin Premiers. They shoot better than most of the higher priced pellots- including JSB. I have good look with a couple of Gamo pellets too (match wadcutters and Hunters)

Maybe we need another room in this forum for airgun talk :)
dsonyay

The upcoming Benjamin is the Rogue:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_ ... Rifle/2399

Do a search on youtube and you'll see a brief company intro done at a shooting range.
Virgil McCoy
Martin Colony History: Purple Martin Landlord since 2006

My eldest son who's grown and gone left his Benjamin .22 cal. pellet rifle in my care. Needless to say, what isn't caught in the trap falls into its sights ! One of the best Christmas presents his mother and I ever gave him ! lol !!!
Proud to be a fourth generation Purple Martin landlord.
frushaj

I have a Gamo but the trigger pull was to hard so I bought a new trigger on line that was easy to install and it helps a lot on accuracy.
John