Tree Swallows

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
graue

I noticed today hundreds of tree swallows migrating through this area. This always happens this time of the year and will go on for the next few weeks and is usually followed by our first sighting of martins. We will be watching for the first martins to arrive in he next couple of weeks.
Donnie Hurdt MN

Ok, dumb question here. You say Tree Swallows are migrating through your area where are they going? Are they headed north? I wouldent think that they are going very far we still have the whole winter to get through yet.
PMCA member and Martin fanatic....
2011 A pair of subbies fledged three young but none returned in 2012 :-(
2015 One Pair of subbies came and stayed a few nits but got chased away by Bluebirds and Tree swallows. :-(
2017 0ne pair of subbies nested and fledged 4 young
2018 Tree Swallows AGAIN chased away any martins that wanted to nest :evil:
2019 Same old story................ :-(
Linda Reynolds

graue, it is hard to believe that last year's first Scout Arrival Report was made one year. less 9 days from today..........They are coming, and I can already feel the excitement brewing.

Click that famous PMCA Scout Arrival Report tab, and expect a report from Naples, Florida very soon...........They really are coming back..........HUGE smile!
Ever-Grateful,
Linda
marshainpuntagorda

Yes, i agree with the barn swallows in our area; I know you will be watching for the scouts also, since you are one of the landlords who reports valid scout sightings in our area...please keep us posted, thanks, Marsha
Think Purple!
flyin-lowe

I am curious to see how my returning PM's protect their housing from TS. For the first five years of trying to become a landlord I was constantly battling with TS and keeping them relocated. This year I am expecting returning PM's to get here shortly after the TS. Hopefully the PM's do the work for me this year and this will be one less thing for me to worry about this spring.
202160 nests with 187 eggs (6-3-20) HOSP count-9
2020 Currently 42 nest, Fledged approx 164 HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Robbo

I have found that the PM's seem to show up in my Yard before the TS's except for the first 2 years as the colony was not established. I put up Houses for the TS's, 3 in the yard and they don't go near the PM's housing ever. The only problematic bird is the House Wren as it played havoc with the Martin's and TS's I believe 2 years ago( pecked eggs and took over TS House but did not lay eggs). I had no problem with the Wren last year. I was thinking of providing a Wren house but they seem to be so destructive.
2009. 98 eggs, 66 hatch, 61 fledged.
2010. 114 eggs, 89 hatch,70 fledged.
2011. 96 eggs. 80 hatch,68 fledged.Heavy Merlin preditation.
2012. 89 eggs. 56 hatch, good fledge. Guards installed. Merlin not sighted at houses.
2013. First Egg May 24, first Baby June 13.
2014. successful.
2015. successful.
2016. Martin's population decline, suspect new housing in the neighborhood. Merlin eating well also!
2017.Population explosion :grin: . first egg May 25 in a BO-11
2018. Population stable.
Paul P

Robbo - I agree with you on the House Wrens, they are very territorial. I have had trouble with them in the past. I have a wren house just above my back porch door. It has been move since I moved my PM colony last summer close (40 feet) from my porch. I don't want to have conflicts with wrens. But, you know what, I watched my wife's humming birds run off five PM from my ham radio beam that's over my cabin. These PM were on their way south and stopped for a rest. It was Sept. 1st. This humming bird went up there and started getting right in the PM's faces. They left without saying good bye. Sooo I had to sweet talk my wife to move the humming bird feeders. Almost got into trouble, but she finally gave in. They are now up at the gate 600' away.
Paul
Rick Meyer

Now that's just great........another thing to worry about trying to get a colony started....hummingbirds. (I have a lot of hummers.) Wonderful. :-(
Robbo

Funny, :grin: :lol:
I would not think you would have to worry about Humming birds.
2009. 98 eggs, 66 hatch, 61 fledged.
2010. 114 eggs, 89 hatch,70 fledged.
2011. 96 eggs. 80 hatch,68 fledged.Heavy Merlin preditation.
2012. 89 eggs. 56 hatch, good fledge. Guards installed. Merlin not sighted at houses.
2013. First Egg May 24, first Baby June 13.
2014. successful.
2015. successful.
2016. Martin's population decline, suspect new housing in the neighborhood. Merlin eating well also!
2017.Population explosion :grin: . first egg May 25 in a BO-11
2018. Population stable.
Paul P

I'm not taking any chances for anything bothering my PMs. Even if Sharon (wife) has to stay out of sight. :lol:
Paul
jimnks

graue, I haven't been on here for quite a while, but you never answered Donnies question just where are those tree swallows migrating to? If any of them are headed to NE Kansas STOP'EM unless they are bringing their longjohns, and a snowshovel and they better be prepared to eat sunflower seeds!!! If they come this way you'll be seeing them again soon headed back the other way FAST!! You'll be able to tell they were here because the females will be ripping on the males telling them "I tried to tell you it was too dang early to leave but you never listen"!!! Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!
Jimnks
jimnks
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

I too will have my 1st year of Martins returning earlier with the TS Flyin-Lowe. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. We are in the same phase with our new colonies. Last year the Martins really began to overrun the pair of TS.

We have hummingbirds as well and I have seen them go after other birds including Martins. They don't get real serious about it however.

Wrens are definately a problem. I had a SY male actually kill one that was in his space. They are a menace and I have severely discouraged them. They still built a nest after the Martins left. They have a long breeding season and seem to raise them up very fast.
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.