Question on wing entrapment

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

I don't know if this is so or not so would like some input from as many as would care to speak up.

It seems to me that wing entrapment occurs more often in crescent type entries with no modifications.............

Whats the general consensus on the above?

dick

I'd say that is true, although it is not 2:1 or anything like that.
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

How do members feel about the foam strip on three sides of the entrance and helping to prevent wing entrapment? Any results from the testing yet?
Scott D.- La

I would disagree, I have had many cases of wing entrapment in previous years and I don't use crescents. There are certain shapes I believe are more susceptible. I have had no entrapments this year and believe it is preventable, or can be greatly reduced with guards.
Lhawk
Martin Colony History: Started tying in 2001 finally got 3 pair in 2003. Since then I had a steady increase to the 34 pair I now host in 2 Watersedge Suites 1 Trendsetter,and 12 plastic gourds.

Dick,
Just my experience,I have 33 compartments here in town 16 are crescents in Wateredge Suites 8 excluders in a Trendsetter and 9 WDC on 3" PVC tunnels into Natureline and SuperGourds. The only entrances to ever have WE are the Excluders. This happened 3 different years before I added the 3/4"weather stripping around the inside of the entrances. No problems since; knock on wood. Strange thing is wiyh 38 cavities at Ample Acres our place down in Mississippi I've never had a case of wing entrapment. Have a great year.
Lee
Tenth year as a landlord. Started with 9 pair the second year housing was up ,2004. Now have 32 pair here in town, and 38 pair at the farm. Life is truly good