It helps putting up housing, but do you *REALLY* want to....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

make a difference for the purple martins in your area?

I wrote 4 articles for 4 of our local newspapers, covering Texas County here in MO. I also created a newsletter for our local landlords and stuffed them full of information, using lots of information from the PMCA site. I now have 16 mentees!!! :shock: :grin:

4 of the 16 are first time landlords this year and 2 of them now have their very first martins! One guy is 78 years old and told me - "we've never had anyone help us and tell us how to do this!!" He has an ASY male at his site now trying to attract a female. 8)

Some of the other 16 have moved their tree-encroached housing out into more open space, while others are now ridding their sites of HOSP & starlings. I had to work hard to dispel the old ideas of, "we thought they nested peacefully, side-by-side". :roll:

It hasn't gone completely smoothly - I had one person who didn't want to heed my advice....I think I'm getting his martins at my site now. :lol:

I had my first "Purple Martins & Coffee" event with 3 of the local landlords here at my site yesterday and will be advertising an "Open House" for May.

I am SO excited for these landlords - NOW I truly feel like I have done something for the purple martins in our area and truly made a difference for the young that I will fledge at my site in future years to come! If anyone would like to use my articles or newsletters to find other martin landlords in your area, please send me an email. It's a lot more FUN when you SHARE this hobby with like-minded people!!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Kathy,

That is just great! :grin: I take my hat off to you and all the others who work to promote, educate, and share your purple fever in your communities. What a great way to really make a difference—I can't wait to hear more about your mentees and their progress. Thank you.

Louise
KathyF

Louise,
It's been very rewarding. I've met some very interesting people and they do have some life stories to share.

One of my mentees joined this forum not too long ago. He has some GREAT news as of today, but I'll let him tell his own exciting story in his own time. 8)

Funny how these birds can bring people together! :grin:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Kathy,

This is great news. I know that becoming a landlord usually takes years of experience. Like you say, you will have some mentee's that will listen, and others that may not believe that sparrows and starlings are big problems when starting a colony. All you can do is provide the information and hope that they take it seriously.

Thanks for your iniative in this area.

Bill
jimnks

Kathy, GREAT job. Congratulations from Kansas, are you getting any more ASY or SY birds in your area? Have a nice day !!!! Jimnks
jimnks

Kathy,

I was having my drive re-graveled when a fellow that runs horses on my land stopped to visit. During our conversation he said,"You do know that the people round here call you the bird man?" I just smiled and said,"That's OK, I've been called allot worse." The way he said it, was kinda like they think I'm strange. On several occasions I have seen people stop on the road and watch me lower my housing. Many are beginning to contact me for advice on housing, sparrows, starlings and predators. When they find that housing is available that they can lower and it's OK to be hands on and interact with the Martins they show more interest. They are really interested when they find that I will help them. I have a contact with the Fountainhead State Park on Lake Eufaula. They have some Martin housing but it's the stuff you see with sparrow nests hanging out (at least it was the last time I was there). I'm going to try to ease my way in and help manage them.

What your doing is great and I commend you. There are folks out there who are interested but like you we have to be willing to mentor. Keep up the good work. 8)
Scully

Kathy,

I commend you on your great efforts 8)

I am tasked with conducting a major outreach effort myself. I could sure use a copy of your materials.

Mike Scully
...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them. Canasatego 1744
M.Stephens

We need more landlords like you!!!!!!!!Great articles!!!! I will do my best to use them!! :grin:
Malcolm
2015 (110 nesting pair)
2014 (92 nesting pair)
2013 (75 nesting pair)
2012 (35 nesting pair)
2011 (20 pair)

KUDOS Kathy!!!!!! People like you will save the purple martin for generations to come.
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

You Da Woman!!!!!!!!
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Kath:

What a great job you are doing at promoting our martins. Hopefully you will be an inspiration to more of us on the forum.

Haven't seen any SY arrivals as yet. With the move, I don't get to sit and watch my colony like I have in the past so I might miss the exact day the first one arrives.

Tim
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
terrapincove
Martin Colony History: Well established 90 cavity colony. Mostly plastic gourds with some custom cedar houses atop pilings out over the river. We live stream the activity on our website https://youtu.be/fvj6V0X70G8

We are on the Maurice River. The Maurice is brackish and tidal. It meets the Delaware bay about three miles down at East Point, NJ. The area is remote and consists of dense marshland and swamp. Dragonflies abound.

Swallows arrive in mid August and finish nesting mid July. There is a large annual roost in mid August upriver a few miles at Mauricetown.

I admire your enthusiasm too.

Hugh
terrapincove
Martin Colony History: Well established 90 cavity colony. Mostly plastic gourds with some custom cedar houses atop pilings out over the river. We live stream the activity on our website https://youtu.be/fvj6V0X70G8

We are on the Maurice River. The Maurice is brackish and tidal. It meets the Delaware bay about three miles down at East Point, NJ. The area is remote and consists of dense marshland and swamp. Dragonflies abound.

Swallows arrive in mid August and finish nesting mid July. There is a large annual roost in mid August upriver a few miles at Mauricetown.

I admire your enthusiasm too.

Hugh

Bravo, Kathy. I know exactly what you mean about knowing what you're in for when you start something like this.
april57

We have had tremendous success with the mentorship of Del and Debra Mckinnon At the Purple Martin Conservatory at Mulhurst Bay. Those poor folk I was there every week looking at their birds with desire in my eyes and a very sore neck looking up. Thinking how could I kidnap just one bird and put him into my new 3 story condo...They gave us the dawn song, nesting material, sheets of how to build, care for, design with my handpainted sunflowers on the house then to remove all those nasty blowflys and band them last year...Even supplies of crickets if needed.
I got so excited when we got our first pair last year I almost slept under the house to keep predators away...OK i am the wacko bird lady but who cares....
April
2007 none
2008 few landed
2009 - 2 pair - 9 eggs- 9 fledged
2010 - 1ASY pair and 4SY pair total 10 bird
2011 first ASY pair May 06
2012 first pair arrived May 01, May 21 total 10 pairs 49 babies
2013 May 04 martins 2 pair May 19 total 12 pair
2014 May 08 2 pair May 12 almost full 10 pair
KathyF

jimnks wrote:Kathy, GREAT job. Congratulations from Kansas, are you getting any more ASY or SY birds in your area? Have a nice day !!!! Jimnks
Hi Jim - I have a big sign just south of Licking - "STOP HERE - Best dragonflies you've ever had!" :lol: I mounted it on top of the "entering / leaving Licking" sign. :lol: :wink:

Still only seeing ASY birds as of today. Last year, my first SY male showed up on April 19th....guess what I'll be doing this evening? :wink:
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
KathyF

Mike - PM sent to you. Check your messages.

Harley, (aka "Bird man") :lol: , you will make an excellent mentor - you're already doing a fantastic job with your grandchildren! It's extra work, but worth every minute of it! I've met some very interesting people...and they're very appreciative!

Malcolm - thanks - I hope they help. :wink:

Dwight - yes, I should probably have mentioned - to anyone wanting to undertake this - steel yourself and don't take things personally. You may get 50 people that won't accept your help/advice...but it's that 10 people that do contact you and take heed that will be the "golden eggs" that you were looking for in the first place!

Thanks for the replies everyone and to everyone that sent me a request for the articles & newsletters! "Bird" people are the nicest people, but Purple martin people are the BEST! :grin:
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
KathyF

april57 wrote: I got so excited when we got our first pair last year I almost slept under the house to keep predators away...OK i am the wacko bird lady but who cares....
April
April - we could have a contest to see who is the wackiest! I know who the kids on the school bus route here would vote for! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
april57

Yeah I am glad I am not the only one. Our neighbour who has an acerage beside ours, said my dawn song playing all night was keeping him awake as his window was open....birds all night chirping. LOL
But I did attrack our first pair last year...so who is crazy now!!!
2007 none
2008 few landed
2009 - 2 pair - 9 eggs- 9 fledged
2010 - 1ASY pair and 4SY pair total 10 bird
2011 first ASY pair May 06
2012 first pair arrived May 01, May 21 total 10 pairs 49 babies
2013 May 04 martins 2 pair May 19 total 12 pair
2014 May 08 2 pair May 12 almost full 10 pair