The season begins in NE KS!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
cchild03

Yesterday morning, I woke up to find a pair of beautiful martins soaring above my site. They are one day later than last year. What a glorious Easter! 8)

This morning, I noticed a third, single male. I expect more to show up in the coming days. I had four pairs last year as well as two, single SY males.
Candace
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Congratulations, Candace! I checked your profile and it only mentions your total for 2008. Did you have martins last year?

I bet your site really starts to grow now!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
cchild03

Thanks, Kathy!

I did have martins last year. I need to go update my profile. :P
Candace
jimnks

Way to go Candace, I have seen them at McLouth and Basehor but I haven't seen any at our place yet but I still believe they will arrive any day or at least I hope!! Have a nice day!! Jim
jimnks
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

Hey Candace. Congrats. I saw your martin report then thought you miight of posted on forum. :grin:

Candace,

I'm so happy for you. You are such an encourager, you deserve your Martins. I hope you fill up this year. :grin:
ChrisM

Got my first scout on April 1--thought it may have been a joke--next day he was back. This year he sat on the north side of the m. house on the porch.
Last year first year for house on this property, he sat on the power line.
Today, I noticed a lady friend of his this afternoon.

Tonight we are in a Tornado Watch until 2 am tomorrow morning. My dog is pretty 'antsy'. :roll:

Yesterday, Topeka, and Osage County (our old stomping martin grounds) had quarter inch hail.

More people putting up more housing is good for the martins, but now I think my neighbor's has become an 'empty nester'! :-(
:shock:

Congrats! Candace

ChrisM N Brown County Ks
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 68 Pairs in 2020
PM Mentor

Great news Candace and Chris - wishing you both a great Martin season!
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
ChrisM

Thanks Jeff and good luck to you and all of our martin lovers.

Thanks too for all of the great support and info, am learning something new each and every time I check in.!

Best to all for a great year!!!
parkerdes

YAY! YAY! YAY!!!!
Great news!!! So glad they are back & right on time for you!!! I currently have 2 ASY pairs & may have a 3rd ASY male laying claim as well...think it may be my SY male that successfully fledged 3 last season...he seems familiar with my house! The other ASY male has claimed an enlarged compartment with a tunnel clinger & side entrance with his lady fair. Haven't seen any SYs yet but having visitors daily it seems.
Congratulations...your season is only beginning...it will be interesting to see how many us "newbies" get this year!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Congrats Candace...my first one showed up the 31st and now i'm up to around 20..but have a ways to go to repeat 30 plus pair last year..good luck to you on ur season...Tony

Got an adult male on Monday. Opened the house and he checked it out. Don't know if he is one from last yr. Lots of wind since then and no martin. On the brite side of things....no sparrows! (yet) Last two years pond parties have dwindled their numbers! :twisted: Very early for this site. Hope this is his house and his buddies make it back.