Should it really matter??

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Put up my first T-14 style house this year. Its still natural red cedar. All the martins are going to my trios (white} gourds (white) and not even checking the T-14 out...So opinions needed. Paint it white or will they eventually adapt to the natural wood color? Thanks, Tony.
jimnks

Tony, I put cedar shingles on the top and 3 sides of my houses this year and painted the front white, Lucky says they look good but the martins haven't arrived yet so I don't know if they will approve . I hope I didn't mess up, because they nested in 2 of those houses last year and I built 1 new one this year , I was just trying to improve their housing, I also shingled half of my BB houses and they haven't seem to mind. Good luck, hopefully mine will be here this week they arrived last year on the 10th.
jimnks
flyin-lowe

I think they might use the house even though it is natural color. The reason houses are painted white are to help reflect the heat and keep it a little cooler.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

It probably is absolutely nothing associated with the color. The thing that keeps them away is that its NEW to them, and martins usually will not nest in new housing until most of the old housing fills up. They often check it out, but will not nest in it. As the old housing fills up, a brave male will usually go to the new house, and as soon as a pair stays, then other martins will start to use it. There may be a safety factor involved, they feel safe in the old used housing.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Thanks guys for the replys..i'll leave it alone for a while and see what happens later as the other cavities fill up..Tony