Missouri sighting

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Tim, I've been rubbing 2 sticks together all week....this morning, I brought out the lighter fluid. :lol: 8) Racks are going up tomorrow afternoon! :lol: :lol:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 68 Pairs in 2020
PM Mentor

Kathy,

Wasn't it you that posted pics of your new pond last year? If so, did you get a chance to see your martins enjoying it?
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
Lenora C

Thank you Louise Chambers for your response and also Mr. Borke.
My question is now where is he? Would he roost around a factory or the powerplant for warmth? We do not use pine straw. We clean their houses and let them tend to the nests. We do have hand warmers (thank you Louise great idea).
Lenora
John Miller

Hi Lenora

Sometimes early arriving martins spend a night or two, but if the temperatures turn cold they then move to a nearby larger colony and communal roost in cavities with other martins. Our martins in Forest Park, St. Louis, move about between mutiple houses -- spaced a mile or so apart - in very early spring.

Of course, you also might do a nest check this weekend, when temps are warm, and make sure your guy is not expired inside. It happens, but let's hope he's around somewhere.

John M
Jeff Robinson
PM Mentor

Was in Wild Birds Unlimited this afternoon checking out the Supergourd. Got reports of PMs in Joplin, MO too, so they're filtering in slowly. Anybody have input on how to mount the Supergourds on a 3/8 inch mount and somehow eliminate water coming in thru the Supergourd mounting holes? I considered buying that gourd, but I'm not yet sold.
Lhawk
Martin Colony History: Started tying in 2001 finally got 3 pair in 2003. Since then I had a steady increase to the 34 pair I now host in 2 Watersedge Suites 1 Trendsetter,and 12 plastic gourds.

Bedrock,
What I did with mine. Drill the 3/8" holes out to 5/8" insert a 3" long piece of 1/2" CPVC water pipe and chalk it in. No more leak. Hope you have a great Martin year.
Lee
Tenth year as a landlord. Started with 9 pair the second year housing was up ,2004. Now have 32 pair here in town, and 38 pair at the farm. Life is truly good
Jeff Robinson
PM Mentor

Thanks Lee - I still can't figure why they don't just make them with the insert. If I buy a few, I'll try out your method!

Lenora, I promise I didn't make that short 12 mile drive to steal your martin! I'll start playing the Dawn Song and daytime chatter tomorrow morning just in case he's looking. Nice weather! Good luck on lots more coming in.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Bedrock wrote:Kathy,

Wasn't it you that posted pics of your new pond last year? If so, did you get a chance to see your martins enjoying it?
Hi Bedrock,

Yes, it was me - you've got a great memory! Thanks for remembering! The project was a bit delayed because, well, we ran into "bedrock"... :lol: :lol: , or really as they call it in MO - "hardpan". So, we didn't actually finish it until end of Oct. or so. We barely got some rye grass starting to grow on the banks before the weather turned too cold. I can't wait to see their reaction to it this year. :grin:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com

I am waiting patiently for mine to return, just as soon they be late as for them to return and find themselves snowed in the gourds like last year. For all of you talking about the killdear I have seen plenty of them too. But my best sighting was yesterday of my EASTERN PEE WEE that shows up and nest's under my carport every year, they also eat insects only. Happy martining......
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

I have not seen or heard a killdeer yet. Well I just went and got gas and saw a killdeer
Last edited by CraigMo. on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Robinson
PM Mentor

Hey Kathy,
Sorry to hear you ran into that same bedrock problem I have, but then again, I guess it's pretty common here in southern MO. Good luck on your new pond - post pics as the banks green up and you catch your martins enjoying their new playground.

After handigging all my holes thru bedrock....well, thus the name of my colony location. My wife named our first season's successful pairs after the Bedrock/Flinstone characters. Fred's a stud - started my colony and mated 2 females!

I checked the other colony locations here in town and nothing doing yet (that I could see), except that S&S are already setting up shop in some of them. I don't think anybody else puts forth ANY predator controls, so, as I continue to grow my location and change out housing, I'll probably offer my old stuff to the city park, plus some baffles. Last year I posted a picture of a martin that visited my site early in the season who looked like he'd narrowly escaped a Starling attack, but he didn't look very good at all, so I don't know that he made it. :cry: I'd bet he was kicked out of his less than ideal housing somewhere else in town.

My yard-pet Mockingbird was cracking me up yesterday morning....he was mocking my dawnsong and daytime chatter, flying back and forth in front of my CD player, trying to find the birds in the box! :lol:

"SIGHTING FOR SEDALIA MISSOURI"

Stopped by a friend of mines colony this morning and he has got his first ASY male. This little guy looked to be in bad shape, cold wet, and wings were drooping. I brought him over some warmed up crickets so he could get started feeding this little guy, sure hope he makes it.

I will not post this in the scout report just because this is not my sight and I am sure he will make the post, just want to let the folks no farther north a heads up!!