Missouri sighting

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Looks like we have a couple sightings here in Missouri. But I dont think they are creditable, looks like these members just joined and have never posted a sighting before, my guess starlings.
John Miller

Greg

Was it you a few seasons ago who said he thought killdeer migration was a sign martins were not far? (grin). There were killdeer reported in St. Louis County a few days ago on a Missouri birding site.

John M

Hi John!

Long time since we shot the breeze, how yea been!

I do believe we talked about this some time ago and yes When the killdeer show up the Martins are right behind them.

I got my sight up today 16 plastic gourds in all 12 S@k Big Bo and 4 Super gourds. I Also after 5 years attracted my first pair and fledged 5
in 2009 :>))
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Greg, congratulations on your first pair last year! :grin:

I don't think there are martins in MO yet, but we might have some starlings masquerading as martins trying to stay warm right now! :lol: :lol:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Spiderman

Well actually we did have a pair of Kildeers in our back yard for about a week before any of our Martins showed up this year. I never really paid any attention to them before, but they were the only birds here for awhile.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 66 Pairs in 2017
PM Mentor

Hello all, and I agree on the doubtful sightings in MO. I'm in SW Missouri, 12 miles east of Springfield, and although ready, I haven't seen a thing. However, we have Killdeer as of 2 days ago. Last year was also my first succesful year, with 2.5 pair and fledged 9. Can hardly wait, but I think they'll wait till it's just a bit warmer - this weekend should be a good start with finally a stretch of 50s and possibly even 60s. I have everything up, but still have small dixie cups plugging all the holes to keep the Bluebirds and House Sparrows from even trying. I've already started eliminating the starlings that DARE land on or even close to my martin houses and gourds - .22 works like a charm. Good luck to all!
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

John Miller , it is me who thought maybe killdeer was a sign of martins coming. They always seem to show up a week or 2 before my martins. But I think thats just the way it is . They get here before martins.

Craig not Greg!!!! :)
John Miller

Craig..yes, it was you about the killdeer thing. Now I remember. Both you guys are in western Missouri. Me in St. Louis..all you guys west of Jefferson City are a little blurry to me (grin).

John M

Hey Craig!

Dang I thought for sure I was going to be able to take the credit on that one :>))

Good to see yea still around, I was almost ready to throw in the towel last year trying to attract a pair, even gave up reading and hanging out on the forum. So how yea doing Craig ??
flyin-lowe

I noticed the first killdeer here in IN just two days ago, snow still on the ground. The other thing I noticed for the first time this year is that the robins did not migrate. I have had robbins here all winter for the first time. I had noticed in the past they stayed later and later but this year they never left. Any one else notice this.
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

Greg- I am fine. I bet your colony will grow this year. I have seen you on forum now and then. I go in spurts. Mainly on at the beginning of season and none after the year.

Flyin-Lowe- Robins have pretty much stayed here in Missouri all my life. Most of the time in the winter I think they head to the brush for cover and warmth. They say some move a little south.

John Miller- Your martins always show up a week or so earlier than here. I think something to do with their flight patterns by the rivers!

Everyone good luck and don't give up Greg
James Johnson

I'm in North AR and havn't seen or heard a thing. :?: The Springfield 3/1 sighting is marginal but the 2/10 sighting is off the chart. :twisted: Must have been a tough snow bird.

My first sighting was a starling removing the styofoam dixie cup bottoms i had in my gourds.
He came ,He saw and HE died :)
Lenora C

Dear Mr. Borke,
I posted my sighting to share information, not to be called uncredible. Monday, March 1 late afternoon I looked out at the houses and sitting on the porch was an adult male. I hollered at Bill, he got his binoculars and confirmed what I saw, he flew away shortly after. We have been enjoying martins for many years, last year we had 12 pair. We have 2 houses converted to 6 apartments each, with excluder doors and subfloors. I am concerned because it is so cold here, why is he back, today is a little warmer but the nights are freezing, where will he get something to eat. I have justified myself to you only because I want to share with others.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Lenora,

Your report is appreciated and is posted on the scout page. I think some of the people commenting in this thread are referring to the early Feb date for MO, not yours.

About the cold nights - you could get a few 24 hour handwarmers - walmart and many other places carry them and they are not expensive. Lower the house in the late afternoon and put one in a compartment he's used - the bird will likely choose that room to roost in for the night.

Some folks put a lightbulb into one compartment and close it - the heat radiates to other compartments. so that's also an option if you can get to the house with an outdoor extension cord. A 60 watt bulb should be enough.

there are some threads here about feeding the martins during bad weather you might like to read. If it's sunny and in the 40s during the day, they can probably find some food.

good luck, and thanks again for your report.

Louise
Last edited by Louise Chambers on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KathyF

Lenora,
Thanks for your report! The days seemed like they've been dragging by here in MO and now, all of a sudden, I realized that "March 24th" (my arrival date last year), is less than 3 weeks away and you have posted a sighting! Yikes!!

I'm putting up my housing this weekend and stuffing it with pine straw (my husband's "honey do" list just got re-prioritized :lol: ), just in case so that if they *do* get here, they'll have someplace warm to stay.

Congratulations on your 12 pair! That's awesome - sounds like you have 100% occupancy.

Best of luck to you this year. :wink:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair

Lenora,

First I would like to apologize I was not trying imply that your sighting was describable. The february 10 sighting was posted like a week ago and to me it just did not make any sence, and this person that had posted it never posted a previous scout sighting.

Again Sorry, Greg
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 66 Pairs in 2017
PM Mentor

Lenora,
I'm just down hwy 60 from you in Rogersville. I also thought the Feb posting was a little out there, and sorry if I doubted you. Since your posting didn't show previous year's postings, it was just a little hard to fathom considering the cold weather we've endured this entire winter. Regardless, glad for you, but do me a favor - send that bird over here for an hour or so - I promise not to hogpen him! :wink:

Louise - if you're reading this, thanks for recommending I try adding gourds last year - it truly was the silver bullet for me setting up my first succesful season.
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
KathyF

Another sighting - this one in Ava, MO - that's only 75 miles from me. :shock:

That's 17 days earlier than any sightings in Ava last year....of course, it looks like we have some new participants in the scout reporting this year. The increased participation is probably due to the local Springfield news station, KY3's meteorologist- Dave Snider's participation and talk of the martins on the weather reports from time to time.

Thanks, Dave!
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Kathy:

You best set a fire under your husband. With the warmer temps starting today, you could get one to show up at anytime. Knowing you, I bet you will be ready!

Tim
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged