Georgetown, TX - have you seen any Martins?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

There have been reports all around here, but I have yet to see a martin near my site in GT. Any other landlords out there in GT see one yet?
Sharon
apundt-TX
Martin Colony History: :
Starting over in 2018
9 pair 2017
17 pair 2015
12 pair 2014
8 pair 2013
5 pair 2012
2 pair 2011

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I haven't seen much either. Wait until April 15th to start worrying (when the subbies come through). You will probably have to start over after the snake problem.

A.P.
Sharon - Central TX
PMCA Member since 2004

A.P.,
I was hoping the martins would forget all about that little ole 6' snake :-). You're probably right about starting over. However, I have't seen any on the lake behind our property and they are almost always out there even if none are at my house. I looked at last year's journal and the first day I saw martins over the lake was on Feb. 8th. I'm going to drive around the area today and look at some other sites to see if they have any. You'd think we'd all learn to relax a bit after a few years of looking for them to come iback. Guess you could call it "martin nerves" (ha).
apundt-TX
Martin Colony History: :
Starting over in 2018
9 pair 2017
17 pair 2015
12 pair 2014
8 pair 2013
5 pair 2012
2 pair 2011

ha ha ha .. Join the club. Not only am I a member but I am also the president.
Don Ricketson

Hi Sharon, I'm about 65 miles west of Georgetown in Llano. On Feb.4 I had four stop by for a little while, then they left. Later a couple more stopped by and left. I didn't have my houses up then. I suppose all these were still heading north. This morning I had 5 or 6 landed on the poles and flew around all morning catching bugs. I haven't seen them around this evening, but I did put my houses up today, but still have door stops installed. If the same ones come back tonight, I'll take the stops off. These today sounded and looked very happy. I know I was. 8)

Don.
Have two Trio Gramma (T8) Modified aluminum houses and a 4 Nature Gourd Rack about 40 ft. from my back door. Use S&S sparrow trap.
Landlord since 1999.

Sharon,

I'm just south of GT a few miles and today 2-23-06 I had my first Martins fly in. First a single followed quickly by three more. They came in and landed quickly on particular rooms so these may be martins from last year.

I had to come to work so I don't know how long/ or if they stayed around. I had figured today was a good day because that cold front finally blew through the area giving time for southerly winds to bring them up this way.

Just as you did, I have driven around for some time checking out the colonies I know about and have seen no martins until today. I hope that is a good sign that we can expect more very soon.

I hope you get your's soon.

MartinDave
Sharon - Central TX
PMCA Member since 2004

Thanks for your replies. I drove around this area yesterday and didn't spot any. I thought I saw two at a site just down the road but upon closer inspection they were starlings. Rain predicted for this afternoon and tomorrow (Sat.) so that may slow them down even more. Otherwise I'll be out there getting wet pulling plugs out of those horizontals :-).
Have a great weekend guys.
Sharon
Don Ricketson

Ha, mine did stay the night and I have about 12 or so this morning. Looking good in Llano. Don.
Have two Trio Gramma (T8) Modified aluminum houses and a 4 Nature Gourd Rack about 40 ft. from my back door. Use S&S sparrow trap.
Landlord since 1999.

Hey Sharon,

You mentioned you used some kind of plugs for your horizontals. I was curious just what kind of setup you use for that? I have used three Troyer Horizontal gourds for a few years but haven't put any plugs in them during the Fall/Winter. It sounds like something I may want to incorporate this offseason because I just put up another 12 Troyer gourds on a Deluxe Gourd Rack.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

MartinDave in Cedar Park
Sharon - Central TX
PMCA Member since 2004

Matin Dave,
I don't have permanent type plugs for the horizontals. We had them taped shut during the off season. Then we cleaned them up and got them ready for the new season and cut some of the swimming pool "noodles" to plug up the entrances temporarily. So far they have worked really well and will be simple to pull out quickly once I see some birds around. I wish there was a good plug made for the horizontals. I don't know of one though.

Hey that is a great idea! We have those tubes sitting around from the kids pool toys. They probably won't miss the ends off a couple of them. I'll try that this fall.

Thanks again.

MartinDave

Sharon,

Glenn Davis submitted a Scout Report for Georgetown on 2/3/06. He is also the one who performed the housing temperature tests that are in the Archives.

Tony
Sharon - Central TX
PMCA Member since 2004

Duh, thank you Tony :-). I didn't even think to check out the scout report. I was actually thinking of someone else here that rarely posted last year. He has a neighbor who has had an active colony for a few years and I know he got several martins last year, his first. I don't remember his name or the neighbor's but know it was not Glenn. I was hoping he would see this post as I was wondering if they had any birds yet as they are not all that far from where I live.
Sharon