SY'S still on the way ?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jimnks

Hello all, I only have 2 pair for sure this year, but at times there are as many as 10 birds here landing on the houses, don't quite understand this as I know of no other colonies within at least 2 to 3 miles. I am hoping to get some sy's when they come through, everything I have seen so far are asy's (I think), at least all the males are. Is anyone getting any sy's in kansas or missouri yet ? I live in northeast kansas, and hope they are still on the way. Have a nice day!
jim
jimnks
kimball911

I live in SE Kansas and don't have any SY's yet, but I have 18 ASY's and nest building seems to be under way. It has rained and rained here, everyday it rains. We have had over 7" in the past week alone and more forecast for this week, so this may have slowed them down some. Some good news...I put a pole with 12 natural gourds down at Riverside Park about a month ago and have 2 pairs already. We use to have Martins down there, but the houses had fallen apart, then in 2007 we had the big flood in July(right during nesting season) and the poles were knocked down and I am assuming they all died. There was no way to get down there to check and with the debris and chemicals in the water it wouldn't have been a good idea. I approached the City and they bought everything and I grew and made the gourds and so far, so good. I applied for the Lonestar give away to be able to put another pole/housing down there or at another park in town that also was flooded, but haven't heard anything. I will post when I see the SY's and good luck.

I can't imagine that the SY migration is even close to over. In my neck of the woods, I've had SYs arrive after Memorial Day. Keep on waiting, and best of luck...

-Steve
jimnks

Kimball, good luck on your new colony, thanks for the post, hoping to here from you about thousands of sy's streaming into ks. soon!!

Steve,I am sure you are right, I am just getting anxious, because a friend of mine has just put up a new house after I told him he still has a good chance of getting some birds this year, so I am kinda out on a limb, I sure hope he gets his colony started, because he sure likes birds and hates s&s. Thanks for the posts guys and have anice day!!!!

jim
jimnks
birdy girl

I live in north Mississippi and am seeing SY's coming in about each night for the last couple of weeks. Tonight approximately 10 new martins. You should be seeing SY's soon. Good luck!
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 68 Pairs in 2020
PM Mentor

Thanks for the SY Update Birdy Girl. Same as SE Kansas, I'm next door in SW Missouri anxious for more SYs - I need any help I can get!
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
Spiderman

I am still seeing many sy's coming through on a daily basis. They will feed over the lake during the day with our Martins and then move off to the north to continue their journey as the sun begins to set.

I guess when your young you don't need any sleep? :grin: :grin: :grin:
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
jimnks

birdy girl and jrob,thanks for the replies, I have 1 male waiting patiently for a gal, he is not a bad looking martin as martins go, maybe a little redneck, probably not first class,but he ain't bad!! If 10 birds came to my place it would triple my population but I have room and so does my friend who's trying to start a new colony. Birdy girl send them along, jrob and I need help!! Thanks and have a nice day!!
jim
jimnks
Jeff Robinson
PM Mentor

Good luck Jim. I think alot of folks around here might've lost a bird or two with the last 7 of 9 days raining here. Nice day today - great day in fact to see any PM on my houses... had ASY male on perches this morning while I was switching from dawn song to daytime chatter CD. He checked out the Goliad, but didn't seem too concerned with the gourds, then flew off to raid the insect population. I'll keep you in loop if we get an influx of subbies. since we're usually around the same time as you.
Jeff Robinson
PM Mentor

Jim,

Came home this evening to ASY male and female committed to our site from best I can tell. They went in for the night, then he came out and flew off, then 5 minutes later she flew off (right before complete dark). I hope to see them again tomorrow. Also had SY female flying around with them this afternoon and evening according to my in-laws, and we saw her this evening, but she didn't stick around. Will keep you posted if more SYs show up. BTW - I didn't expect an ASY pair to show up this late, so I figure somebody's probably got dead birds in their houses from all the rain, or S&S problems. So far, I've killed 43 starlings and 2 male house sparrows this year with my .22 rifle. Have only seen sparrow pairs twice checking out my houses, and shot the male both times.